Australia demands China apologize for posting 'repugnant' fake image

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Australia demands China apologize for posting 'repugnant' fake image

Post by Username Taken »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:54 pm I wish I could find the link to a news article I read yesterday
Check your browser History.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:32 pm the editorial describes Australia as a "warhound" of the US

No, china, it's called having allies of equal stature on the world stage.......something china wouldn't know too much about.

Keep going down this road, china.........sooner or later you'll be having Australia, Canada, the US, and Great Britain, all taking a giant shit on you.

How do you like those odds, china?

You want to talk "warhounds"? Bring it on china.

It's high time you had your dick knocked in the dirt you arrogant, bat eating, virus spreading, backward, nasty scoundrels. You're not some middle eastern backwater.......you're a world power......and you will be dealt with like one.

If push ever came to shove, china, and the US and its allies unleashed the collective, full potential of its defensive might........you don't have the acreage to bury all your dead.

Keep talking your shit and taking advantage of our civility and restraint. Something china is severely lacking in.

Personally, I'd like to see that entire country smoothed over, into a pristine field of green, glowing, radioactive glass.

But then I wouldn't be able to buy shitty electronic devices and dirt cheap boxer briefs.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

They are entirely dependent on the outside world for raw materials, components ( semi conductors ), energy, and markets.
The BRI is not complete and they have run out of money.
So now they want to bully little brother despite their vast exposure of investment in Australia.
That could all be nationalized.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Alex wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:49 am What's fake is that there's no photo evidence of the actual murders, eh? China rubbing it in, I can't say I blame them IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE.
Also Scott Morrison clearly not heard of Streisand Effect. That story about their special forces murdering unarmed prisoners was page 7 news for one afternoon for most of the world, I’d forgotten all about it until now.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

Brody wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:04 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:32 pm the editorial describes Australia as a "warhound" of the US

Keep going down this road, china.........sooner or later you'll be having Australia, Canada, the US, and Great Britain, all taking a giant shit on you.
Probably Japan, South Korea and Vietnam too. Among others.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

nemo wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:04 pm They just passed a law allowing the government to block exports of anything they deem to be national security related.
Neodymium magnets will be a good card for them to play.
If China wins this, they will do it to everyone.
That would be very short sighted of them given that so-called “rare earths” aren’t actually at all rare. We get them from China because they dig them up for cheap, but there’s nowt stopping us digging them up anywhere else.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:29 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:54 pm I wish I could find the link to a news article I read yesterday
Check your browser History.
Gee UT, you're a godsend! I didn't realise browser history went back further than the last dozen or so visited pages...until I checked.

So, here's the link: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/ ... 56j80.html

And the quoted text:
Herve Lemahieu, director of the power and diplomacy program at the Lowy Institute, said Mr Morrison should not have responded to the "smear" and "low blow" from a relatively junior Chinese official on Twitter.

He said Australia's response was "overly emotive and defensive" and played right into China's hands.

"We shouldn't deploy our top asset - head of government - to respond to a propaganda post from some junior level official in the Chinese Foreign Ministry. These guys seek attention and we have given it to them," Mr Lemahieu said.

"I would describe it as a smear and a sub-tweet, and I didn't think it merited a response from the Prime Minister. It's beneath the Prime Minister to have to react to that."

Mr Lemahieu said he believed the tweet was used as "bait to lure a response", and also to switch the debate from China's "blatant violation of the economic rules-based order" by imposing unfair tariffs on Australia.

"That [the tariffs] is the big story, and to me it looks like they are trying to switch the subjects and make Australia look like the villain. We shouldn't have fallen for it," he said.

"It is not a coincidence the Russians got involved as well. I wouldn't have been surprised if they coordinated their efforts in the last few days in terms of seizing on what they think is a soft target."
And this is telling:
Michael Shoebridge, director of Australian Strategic Policy Institute's defence and national security program, said social media post "shows again why Chinese soft power is collapsing internationally".

"The Afghan war crimes inquiry and the Australian government moves to hold itself and Australian soldiers to account are in stark contrast to the Chinese government’s denials and cover-ups about its abuses in Xinjiang and its repression in Hong Kong," Mr Shoebridge said.

"The world knows about the alleged unlawful killings of 39 Afghans because of a forensic inquiry conducted by Australia authorities, with a 480-page report released publicly.

"In contrast, the world knows about the over one million Uighurs in detention camps in China because of the accounts of escapees, because of leaked Chinese government documents, and analysis of satellite imagery."
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

That would be very short sighted of them given that so-called “rare earths” aren’t actually at all rare. We get them from China because they dig them up for cheap, but there’s nowt stopping us digging them up anywhere else.
Colorado and Western Australia are mining now.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:29 pm
nemo wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:04 pm They just passed a law allowing the government to block exports of anything they deem to be national security related.
Neodymium magnets will be a good card for them to play.
If China wins this, they will do it to everyone.
Exactly, on the Australian stock exchange (ASX), the following tickers:

ARU Arafura, in Northern Territory, project ready to go subject to investment
GGG Greenland, in Greenland, huge resource, project nearly ready to go subject to investment/permits (NB Chinese company major shareholder)
ASM Australian Strategic, in NSW, project ready to go subject to investment, producing test samples of magnets in Korea
LYC Lynas, resource in WA and processing in Malaysia (but plans to move that back to OZ), in production and Australia's largest producer
Junior explorers:
HAS
REE

And that's just ASX!
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by mouytiet »

i shall now drink nothing but Australian wine.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic