Scattering ashes in the river - Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
boofhead
Expatriate
Australia

Scattering ashes in the river - Phnom Penh

Post by boofhead »

Has anyone had any experience in scattering human ashes in the river here in Phnom Penh? I'm hopefully setting out on this sad task tomorrow to scatter a friend's ashes and do not wish to simply hire a boat and do the deed surreptitiously given cultural sensibilities and the like. Any thoughts or recommendations?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Scattering ashes in the river - Phnom Penh

Post by timmydownawell »

I'd bury them in a nice spot in a park. I buried a dead kitten in the park near the old market once and no-one paid the least bit of attention.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Take a monk to do it for you.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I'm not sure if you will find someone who will accept to take the ashes on their boat. I have scattered ashes in the Mekong, but not in PP. We went to a pontoon on the riverbank and scattered them from there. You will need someone who speaks Khmer to ask for permission and make sure that it is ok with whoever is living or working at the spot that you choose.
In my case, the deceased had been living in a rented house, and the landlord would not accept the ashes on the premises, however he was fine with having the funeral ceremonies there, so we scattered the ashes in the river beforehand and then had a traditional ceremony at the house. Just ask and see what's acceptable.

Sorry for your loss.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I remember after a friend passed away here (not Phnom Penh) the ceremonies were at the house he lived, then the cremation at the Wat. The ashes were scattered in the river from the bridge. I don't know what peoples experience is with the ashes, but there was a good number of bones, such being the full thigh bone, you don't want a boat passing bellow at this point.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

My family scattered my father in law directly across from Royal Palace from the river bank. I felt kind of awkward but didn't seem to be any problem.

Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

There's been many an expat scattered at the confluence of the 3 rivers.

One of the pontoons will do it, no bother.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Brings back a memmory or two....
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I was at Henning's ceremony on the river where we scattered the ashes at the confluence. I think there were some monks on the boat.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Patcan wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:09 pm Image
Brings back a memmory or two....
Mike
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic