25 Chinese Workers Cross Border into Laos from Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

25 Chinese Workers Cross Border into Laos from Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

25 Chinese leave Cambodia through Trapeang Kriel international border crossing
Cambodia News, (Stung Treng): The Laos border authorities have been allowing small numbers of people to cross the border from Cambodia into Laos ever since the official closing of the land borders. According to reports from the General Department of Immigration, most of these people are of Chinese nationality. The reason for travelling is usually to go to work in Laos, but it is possible that Chinese people who have no work in Cambodia are also returning home through Laos via this border crossing.
On November 30, 2020, the Trapeang Kriel International Border Crossing Police Station cooperated with Chatalysak officers to inspect, test, and facilitate the departure of 25 Chinese nationals to leave Cambodia to go to work in Laos.

This event shows that even though the land borders between the South East Asian countries are officially hermetically sealed, a certain amount of leeway is being exercised by the authorities at some border gates. The Laos-Cambodia border seems to be particularly porous.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: 25 Chinese Workers Cross Border into Laos from Cambodia

Post by atst »

Chinese can cross borders to work but Khmers cannot that's fare in the KOW
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:37 pm Chinese can cross borders to work but Khmers cannot that's fare in the KOW
I think it may be the case of Chinese passing into Laos on their way home, also I hear some westerners have passed, but must return the same day back into Cambodia. I suspect it's the usual money-making scheme, that would be hard to give up in these lands. The Khmer passing would be a risk because they would be likely gone sometime with work, and at some time will be expected to return after a longer period, that gives more time to be exposed to the virus.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

The railway is still under construction, but the road links between Laos and China are rapidly getting better and busier every year. And obviously the people flow.
China sees Laos as its way into Thailand, Cambodia, even more access into Vietnam - and beyond.
Expect the flow to turn into a flood. (Wait till the trains start..)

It seems to me that Laos is quickly becoming a major route into Cambodia for Chinese immigrant workers and probably criminals.
First reports i noticed were only 2/3 years ago, now it is obviously a regular flow.

Covid may have actually entrenched that route even more.
Slide them in when it's quiet and nobody else is coming thru
- and the local immigration guys still need to live.

Plus air travel is presumably tightening and getting more expensive, even between China and Cambodia.
Expect more coming that way.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:07 pm First reports i noticed were only 2/3 years ago, now it is obviously a regular flow.

Covid may have actually entrenched that route even more.
Slide them in when it's quiet and nobody else is coming thru
- and the local immigration guys still need to live.
No one could disagree with what you're saying here, firstly is it not of a government position the job held by immigration police who man the borders of the country, their job is that of first line defence, protection of its countries people is the aim by keeping out undesirables that could do the people and country harm. Now the job is lifted to also keeping the virus at bay.
Has "the local immigration guys still need to live", if they don't get paid a salary/wage good for the job, then it is a government problem. But greed in this type of authorities work seems to breed in its nature, one may comment that it is the norm.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Yeah Andy, sadly it is the norm.

I said "the immigration guys still need to make a living" ironically
but it is actually the cold hard reality -

The government pays 100 bucks a month starvation salary, only.
No Gov $$ for anything else. including the lightbulbs.

Not all that bribe and over-rate visa money that "everybody" pays goes to the top
- It also pays a more realistic living wage to all the staff
and runs the office, and the expenses for the whole local department to do the whole job.

That is the way it works here. 'Has done for a thousand years.
You are appointed to the role, which you pay for - with the expectation that you do the job for the King,
and you raise the funds to pay yourself and to finance the whole operation.

And PS, the King fully knows that his laws are stretched and bent by this process
- but that is accepted, as long as the local officials do not over-reach tooo much.

Forget our western notions of how a Public Service is "supposed" to run.
Forget it!

(i'm exagerating the situation a bit, but mostly i'm not.
This is Khmer-style Governing #101
for 1000 years)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Oh so it's ok for covid carrying cunts to come and go between countries as long as they bribe the poor boarder guards (presume no 14day quarantine each side either), oh and thier chinese, anyone else can stay home and starve. I bet the hungry khmers seeing this news would be rightly pissed.
Just because your paid shit money doesn't mean you don't have to give a shit about doing your job especially when there's a pandemic
Last edited by atst on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:03 pm Oh so it's ok for covid carrying cunts to come and go between countries as long as they bribe the poor boarder guards (presume no 14day quarantine each side either), oh and thier chinese, anyone else can stay home and starve. I bet the hungry khmers seeing this news would be rightly pissed.
Just because your paid shit money doesn't mean you don't have to give a shit about doing your job especially when there's a pandemic
Sometime ago I knew of two guys "Richard and Andy" whom nipped over to Laos by boat to buy tools and provisions from the market town, on the understanding that they returned on the same day, but it's a regular basis for people who live on both banks of the Mekong.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:43 pm
atst wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:03 pm Oh so it's ok for covid carrying cunts to come and go between countries as long as they bribe the poor boarder guards (presume no 14day quarantine each side either), oh and thier chinese, anyone else can stay home and starve. I bet the hungry khmers seeing this news would be rightly pissed.
Sometime ago I knew of two guys "Richard and Andy" whom nipped over to Laos by boat to buy tools and provisions from the market town, on the understanding that they returned on the same day, but it's a regular basis for people who live on both banks of the Mekong.
This is not about a few locals living either side of the boarder, the story is 25 chinese crossing the border to work.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:03 pm
AndyKK wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:43 pm
This is not about a few locals living either side of the boarder, the story is 25 chinese crossing the border to work.
Yes, 25 Chinese crossing the border to work or go home, my point is you know of this story because they went to an official border crossing, how many cross along the riverbanks?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic