Life is Slow in Siem Reap...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
tireswang
Expatriate
United States of America

Life is Slow in Siem Reap...

Post by tireswang »

Just wondering how life is in Kampot now? I need a Hit of Fresh Air. Are the guest houses on the river still there...and functioning? Are the Good Times really over for good,... everywhere? It is a real drag in S.R. but things could be worse, like stuck in the Philippines and quarantined to Your House if you are a Senior Citizen. Cambodia is not perfect, but I still Love her.
~
Mr Know It All
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Life is Slow in Siem Reap...

Post by Mr Know It All »

pretty quite down here as well.

the places on the river have mostly made the move to longer stay with so many folks "stuck" but a few are still going.

try the Kampot Noticeboard for the latest.....

this message will self destruct in a day or two.
if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

tireswang wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:43 pm Just wondering how life is in Kampot now? I need a Hit of Fresh Air. Are the guest houses on the river still there...and functioning? Are the Good Times really over for good,... everywhere? It is a real drag in S.R. but things could be worse, like stuck in the Philippines and quarantined to Your House if you are a Senior Citizen. Cambodia is not perfect, but I still Love her.
You hit the subject on the head. I was wondering whether I'd be missing the Good Life in SR. Am stuck in Thailand, which is not a Bad Thing, considering the worldwide options.

So do you find yourself sitting alone in bars and restaurants? Shopping in empty supermarkets? That's pretty much my status here in Pattaya. Hard to imagine, but, wow, during the week it's a ghost town. On weekends, locals authorities try to attract Thais with special events. It works sometimes. Otherwise, I can cross Buakhao or Second Road without looking. No traffic!

Thanks.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

PP doesnt have any tourists. im dying a slow death.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Matty9999 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:44 pm PP doesnt have any tourists. im dying a slow death.
Why does the lack of tourists in PP make your life miserable?

Is it the engaging repartee that you get from them that you miss that you don't get from expats?

Not to mention that all those 1 week millionaires could be serious competition for you to find that 'special' friend in the hostess bars or elsewhere..

I'm glass half full on all this. First time going into the high season with lack of tourists...good! No crowds..no long waiting times in restaurants..no trouble finding a chair..traffic lighter etc. Albeit, it's not good for Mrs Cargo's employment conditions in restaurant service.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:08 pm
Matty9999 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:44 pm PP doesnt have any tourists. im dying a slow death.

Is it the engaging repartee that you get from them that you miss that you don't get from expats?

Not to mention that all those 1 week millionaires could be serious competition for you to find that 'special' friend in the hostess bars or elsewhere..

I'm glass half full on all this. First time going into the high season with lack of tourists...good! No crowds..no long waiting times in restaurants..no trouble finding a chair..traffic lighter etc. Albeit, it's not good for Mrs Cargo's employment conditions in restaurant service.
I prefer to meet female tourists or ex pats, but unfortunately theres not that many of the latter, uhhh i honestly dont find the locals to be attractive
Second problem... i cant leave because i dont want to catch covid
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Matty9999 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:12 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:08 pm

I prefer to meet female tourists or ex pats, but unfortunately theres not that many of the latter, uhhh i honestly dont find the locals to be attractive
Second problem... i cant leave because i dont want to catch covid
OK if that's your preference then why start a thread asking..
Matty9999 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:04 pm If you find a special friend in Cambodia is this something the cops will cause you trouble with as an expat or tourist?

Edit: In Thailand they could have cared less even though on the books its illegal.
Or, are you going to resort to plan B...even tho you find them unattractive?
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

I have just spent a week in PP, nice boutique hotel on 136. The bar scene was as vibrant as ever, all the bars open, plenty of female company on display. Sure none of them packed with customers, but enough around to keep them going to 2am.
In SR tonight...man that is a real ghost town, although I suppose its only Monday night. Bring on the weekend!Image
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

I have just spent a week in PP, nice boutique hotel on 136. The bar scene was as vibrant as ever, all the bars open, plenty of female company on display. Sure none of them packed with customers, but enough around to keep them going to 2am.
In SR tonight...man that is a real ghost town, although I suppose its only Monday night. Bring on the weekend!Image
[/quote]
------------

You'll find maybe 15-20 people walking around pub street on the weekend. This weekend might be even less. Everyone is aware of the woman being in Siem Reap with Covid - she was around town (including a temple). Everywhere I went this evening we had temperature check and they were asking for name and telephone number - so I assume the authorities went around demanding they prepare for contact tracing. The traffic at 7:30pm was how it usually is at about 11:00pm. There just weren't many people out doing anything.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic