COVID-19 Outbreak 28 Nov: Aeon Mall Closed and Other Connected Breaking News

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is Aeon Mall 1 closed due to virus fears?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

johnnywalker3 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:08 pm The correlation between Dengue and Covid is very interesting to me. An unusual spike in Dengue cases and deaths in both China and Cambodia in 2019 leads me to believe there was a widespread misdiagnosis regionally.

https://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.i ... 200910.pdf

I have no idea if there is something to this but it seems unlikely to me that the abnormal spike in Dengue cases in both China and Cambodia happened just as Covid-19 broke out. Add to that an 80% decline in Dengue (and Malaria cases) in 2020 and I suspect a LOT of cases were misdiagnosed (not surprisingly given the lack of knowledge) in 2019. A lot of things that don't make any sense make a lot more sense if you retroactively consider that a ton of Dengue cases in 2019 were likely Covid-19.

Apparently Dengue fever and Covid-19 react to the testing very similarly so it should not be a great surprise if the reverse is true (Covid-19 tests positive for Dengue). I haven't found anything to support that theory but I'm not sure anyone is looking.

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S120 ... 7/fulltext

From the above link:
In dengue-endemic regions such as in Asia, misdiagnosis between COVID-19 and dengue can be highly problematic and could affect management of these diseases. This is mainly because approximately 80% of COVID-19 cases are mild to moderate cases with unspecific symptoms and mimic dengue (Henrina et al., 2020).
Apart from fever, which is the chief complaint of most cases of dengue and COVID-19, skin manifestations including rash or petechiae, which are commonly found in dengue, have also been commonly reported in COVID-19 (Criado et al., 2020), and thus, the challenge of discriminating one from another is increased.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I had dengue
My daughter had ( Has.... long covid)
comparing the symptoms, they were nothing the same the first few days apart from the fever

Dengue knocks you on ur ass right away
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

johnnywalker3 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:08 pm The correlation between Dengue and Covid is very interesting to me. An unusual spike in Dengue cases and deaths in both China and Cambodia in 2019 leads me to believe there was a widespread misdiagnosis regionally.

I have no idea if there is something to this but it seems unlikely to me that the abnormal spike in Dengue cases in both China and Cambodia happened just as Covid-19 broke out. Add to that an 80% decline in Dengue (and Malaria cases) in 2020 and I suspect a LOT of cases were misdiagnosed (not surprisingly given the lack of knowledge) in 2019. A lot of things that don't make any sense make a lot more sense if you retroactively consider that a ton of Dengue cases in 2019 were likely Covid-19.

Apparently Dengue fever and Covid-19 react to the testing very similarly so it should not be a great surprise if the reverse is true (Covid-19 tests positive for Dengue). I haven't found anything to support that theory but I'm not sure anyone is looking.

Find out the symptoms of dengue and the symptoms of CoViD-19 and compare those and you'll see misdiagnosis is extremely unlikely.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:12 pm

From the above link:
In dengue-endemic regions such as in Asia, misdiagnosis between COVID-19 and dengue can be highly problematic and could affect management of these diseases. This is mainly because approximately 80% of COVID-19 cases are mild to moderate cases with unspecific symptoms and mimic dengue (Henrina et al., 2020).
Apart from fever, which is the chief complaint of most cases of dengue and COVID-19, skin manifestations including rash or petechiae, which are commonly found in dengue, have also been commonly reported in COVID-19 (Criado et al., 2020), and thus, the challenge of discriminating one from another is increased.
The pattern of the fever is very different in both diseases, a high drop in platelets which is seen in dengue and is not reported in CoViD (in fact it's the opposite, platelet count often goes up with CoViD-19 causing blood cloths: https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/512007).

A simple blood test will discriminate between the two if the fever pattern doesn't.
dullretard
Tourist
Spain

Post by dullretard »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:28 pm I agree Andy. If it had been in the community here, even undiagnosed, we would definitely have seen an increase in funerals at the very least, because they are so very visible (not to mention audible). People are out and about in very close contact in the markets and go home to their children and elderly parents. If it was around we would know pretty quickly.
I keep hearing the "We would notice the excess funerals" argument here in Vietnam too. Keep in mind the death rate globally for Covid is at 200 per million population. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Cambodia has a population of say 15 million, times 200 would be 3000 extra funerals over - 9 months? 300 odd funerals a month - 10 a day - over the whole country. Actual death rate = approx 6 per 1000, say 90k a year = 7500 a month. That's 250/day normally and then an extra 10 for Covid - noticeable? I don't think so.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

dullretard wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:42 am
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:28 pm I agree Andy. If it had been in the community here, even undiagnosed, we would definitely have seen an increase in funerals at the very least, because they are so very visible (not to mention audible). People are out and about in very close contact in the markets and go home to their children and elderly parents. If it was around we would know pretty quickly.
I keep hearing the "We would notice the excess funerals" argument here in Vietnam too. Keep in mind the death rate globally for Covid is at 200 per million population. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Cambodia has a population of say 15 million, times 200 would be 3000 extra funerals over - 9 months? 300 odd funerals a month - 10 a day - over the whole country. Actual death rate = approx 6 per 1000, say 90k a year = 7500 a month. That's 250/day normally and then an extra 10 for Covid - noticeable? I don't think so.
Nice maths and if you consider many die from covid are 65plus ,it would be even less here.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Jerry Atrick wrote:Hopefully they don't test too many people.
I sent the missus down to get a test just in case. Place was packed with Khmer waiting to get the test. She was sent away and told to come back just before her flight.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

dullretard wrote:
Something wrong with your calculations I think. The covid death rate is about 2%. That’s 20,000 per million. Not 200! Confirmed by the link you posted.
So on 16.7 million population here that’s up to 334,000 extra funerals! That certainly would be noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

jah steu wrote:
dullretard wrote:
Something wrong with your calculations I think. The covid death rate is about 2%. That’s 20,000 per million. Not 200! Confirmed by the link you posted.
So on 16.7 million population here that’s up to 334,000 extra funerals! That certainly would be noticeable.

That's assuming every single person is infected... Or course not everyone would be, and the vast majority of deaths are for elderly people who have pre-existing conditions, of which there are relatively few here.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: That's assuming every single person is infected... Or course not everyone would be, and the vast majority of deaths are for elderly people who have pre-existing conditions, of which there are relatively few here.
yes you’re right. My bad.

Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic