COVID-19 Outbreak 28 Nov: Aeon Mall Closed and Other Connected Breaking News

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Is Aeon Mall 1 closed due to virus fears?

Post by Phnom Poon »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:09 pm It's nearly impossible to not have had it imported back in January-April, when Cambodia was one of the only countries who accepted flights from China, and literally the ONLY foreign country that still had DIRECT flights from Wuhan.
indeed
china sent 2 separate medical teams and equipment to sinoville back in april or may
i do not think they went for the sun

i suspect these incidents are being used as the excuse to take measures against a larger, unacknowledged problem

monstra mihi bona!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Let's take a look around ourselves at this moment, life goes on has near normal, I hear the children playing outside the apartments, the mothers are doing their normal daily choirs, cleaning, washing, husbands possibly out working, the few here are taxi owner drivers or tuk tuck driver's, one Khmer school teacher, and the odd few male and female younger generation that come and go has the work seems to do, none I have ever known to have regular full-time work, it has always made me wonder how the families actually get by. Other families living in the area have houses and shops, small business. Not many around here wear masks, around their own area and neighbourhood. But mainly these people do not travel, it's doubtful that many of them don't even go to the provinces.
Mostly the cases here of covid-19 have been positive of people whom have travelled, and that of outside the country, again that has showed with foreign visitors and that of Cambodian migrant workers, but all in all the average person does not travel far from home.
I don't believe that the virus has been here all the time in a milder form, not am I a believer of that some members claiming that they were sick at the time, again, claiming or thinking that of a lower strain of the virus.
I think how most of the population live in this country, I would put it in the terms of whole communities in self-isolation as a norm. But what I would worry about is if there's an infection by the obvious, someone carrying the virus into these type of areas it would possibly escalate at a speedy rate, being uncontrollable for the authorities here to cope with.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I agree Andy. If it had been in the community here, even undiagnosed, we would definitely have seen an increase in funerals at the very least, because they are so very visible (not to mention audible). People are out and about in very close contact in the markets and go home to their children and elderly parents. If it was around we would know pretty quickly.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:28 pm I agree Andy. If it had been in the community here, even undiagnosed, we would definitely have seen an increase in funerals at the very least, because they are so very visible (not to mention audible). People are out and about in very close contact in the markets and go home to their children and elderly parents. If it was around we would know pretty quickly.
Nobody can doubt it is an extremely unusual situation. There are only two possible outcomes. Either it has been here for as long as it's been everywhere else yet somehow it hasn't affected us here as much as it's affected other countries, or it has somehow largely bypassed Cambodia altogether.

Nobody can say for sure which is true. To me they are both as unlikely as each other. But what other alternatives are there ?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:28 pm I agree Andy. If it had been in the community here, even undiagnosed, we would definitely have seen an increase in funerals at the very least, because they are so very visible (not to mention audible). People are out and about in very close contact in the markets and go home to their children and elderly parents. If it was around we would know pretty quickly.
I seriously doubt you would notice a doubling of the nationwide death rate due to CoViD-19 in your community. Death is such a normal part of life in Cambodia most people don't blink an eye. A ridiculous amount of people die in traffic accidents every day, again and again and again and.... It's a fact of life. And it didn't effect me, so far... And it didn't effect you, so far. But it's there. Just like the virus.

Assuming a virus which has been able to travel all across the globe in 4-8 months (open for debate) but somehow missed the Kingdom of Wonder is beyond my understanding. Until mid-March (when the virus spread world wide already, albeit the number of cases was still low in most countries) the Cambodian government did absolutely nothing to prevent the virus from entering. Still you believe Cambodia is the exception to the worldwide rule of spread? Until mid March over 50 flights a day came in, mostly from China, which was in a full epidemic back then. Ten thousands entered Cambodia every day. Travelers coming back from Cambodia tested positive upon arrival for CoVid-19.

I think the virus is in Cambodia, and it spreads, just like everywhere else, but the conditions to spread are far from favorable, and the population it spreads among probably won't get too sick because they're relatively young with relatively strong well trained immune systems. Still, the virus must be here, and it must be infecting people, so it must make a certain percentage ill and an even lower percentage dies because of it. it's just not 'a big deal' in great scheme of things in Cambodia.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

There has been speculation that those who have had Dengue may have some resistance. Also that Thalassemia ( high rate here ) may confer immunity in the same way that those with sickle cell are resistant to Malaria.
Additionally the median age here is quite low compared to the developed world, and a great deal of time is spent outdoors.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

xandreu wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:58 pm I agree with most of the comments that the virus simply MUST have been here for as long as it's been everywhere else. It would be a modern day miracle for the virus to have spread to every corner of the globe yet somehow missed this little corner of SEA.

Which begs the question, why (so far) has it not been as devastating here as it has been elsewhere?

1. The climate? Well, some studies have suggested that Vitamin D has been shown to lessen the symptoms of Covid, and there's plenty of sunshine here, but that doesn't explain why countries with similar climates have suffered much more than Cambodia.

2. Population age? - Cambodia does have a disproportionate number of younger people than many other countries, and they are generally healthier than many western populations, but there are still many elderly people here also. While younger people may not suffer the symptoms of Covid as much as older people, they are still just as likely to pass it on to to those more vulnerable.

3. Lack of enclosed spaces? - There are no public mass transit systems here, which I'm sure have had a major impact on the spread of the disease in other countries. There also aren't that many places where people tend to gather in very close proximity to each other, other than schools and workplaces.

4. The virus just simply isn't as dangerous as we're being led to believe? This is a conclusion that many in my home country, the UK, are beginning to come to. When you look at the actual real statistics and compare it to what's being reported (both by the media and the government themselves) they just don't seem to add up. So much so that back home, trust in the government has never, ever been as low as it is now. People simply don't believe that the measures the governments are taking (national and local lock-downs) are in any way proportionate to the danger that the disease actually poses.

My view is that it's a mixture of all four, but especially the last one. Going on statistics alone, you are statistically less likely to catch Covid than you are to catch it. Even if you do catch it, most people are unlikely to show any symptoms and others may go on to have very mild symptoms. Even if your symptoms are slightly more serious, you are still unlikely to need hospital treatment, unless you are either elderly or have other health problems. Even if you do need hospital treatment, you are still more likely to survive than you are to die.

As I said, I believe the virus has been here for as long as it's been anywhere else. The main difference is that the government simply hasn't over-reacted as much as other governments have.
5. You have forgot the obvious one. That prahok and tiger balm has killed off most of the virus in Cambodia.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The American Intercontinental School and the Phnom Penh Hotel have also been closed in connection with this case.
Updates are on the Cambodia Covid thread: post459696.html#p459696
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
johnnywalker3
Expatriate

Post by johnnywalker3 »

The correlation between Dengue and Covid is very interesting to me. An unusual spike in Dengue cases and deaths in both China and Cambodia in 2019 leads me to believe there was a widespread misdiagnosis regionally.

https://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.i ... 200910.pdf

I have no idea if there is something to this but it seems unlikely to me that the abnormal spike in Dengue cases in both China and Cambodia happened just as Covid-19 broke out. Add to that an 80% decline in Dengue (and Malaria cases) in 2020 and I suspect a LOT of cases were misdiagnosed (not surprisingly given the lack of knowledge) in 2019. A lot of things that don't make any sense make a lot more sense if you retroactively consider that a ton of Dengue cases in 2019 were likely Covid-19.

Apparently Dengue fever and Covid-19 react to the testing very similarly so it should not be a great surprise if the reverse is true (Covid-19 tests positive for Dengue). I haven't found anything to support that theory but I'm not sure anyone is looking.

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S120 ... 7/fulltext
johnnywalker3
Expatriate

Post by johnnywalker3 »

Well here is a case of the reverse from Singapore:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lani ... 4/fulltext
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic