COVID-19 Outbreak 28 Nov: Aeon Mall Closed and Other Connected Breaking News

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is Aeon Mall 1 closed due to virus fears?

Post by Kammekor »

TWY wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:52 am Well, from what my wife has said... this woman was definitely here in Siem Reap recently - including at a local temple.
Apparently she was in Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Mondulkiri while being symptomatic. Include stops on the way and you have countless contacts to be traced, simply impossible.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:39 am
Kammekor wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:11 am
Jack.R. wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:06 am Did she fly in or did she get it locally?
From the article:
We don’t know from whom she got infected with the virus,” Health Ministry spokesperson Ly Sovann said of the director’s wife, according to a report by state news agency AKP late Saturday.
Why are they assuming that she got it (from someone somewhere) and passed it on to her husband and children?
The husband or children may have passed it on to her.
It is actually quite a stark admission from a spokesperson, i.e. a communications professional. For a prepared statement to make such an admission is a bit naive. "We don't know" should be the last words from their mouths. If the country had a free and critical media it would be their headline.

My money is it coming from her husband via all his comings and goings in government circles, where the last breach occurred. Which begs the question, why have all government officials been tested in the last 3 weeks as a precautionary measure?
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

I am hearing she flew in recently and skipped covid procedure but I have no confirmation. HE HE was complaining recently about oukna's wifes not following safety protocols.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Doc67 wrote:It's quite possible this is all part of the November 3rd incident and their contact tracers missed a few people. Now it has popped up again with a whole family infected. Good luck finding all their contacts for the last 2 weeks.

I can't help feeling this story in very much in the foothills.
It's also quite possible the virus has been amongst us all this whole time. It's nearly impossible to not have had it imported back in January-April, when Cambodia was one of the only countries who accepted flights from China, and literally the ONLY foreign country that still had DIRECT flights from Wuhan.

[EDIT]Jerry beat me to it. But yeah, my personal fear is mass testing, which then reveals countless cases and instead of realizing it's not a big deal for the local population, then go crazy and copy-paste procedures from abroad which have been rather ineffective.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:51 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:39 am Hopefully they don't test too many people.

Lockdown is shit. Rather take the corona, which blatantly has been here since last year and is mild as fuck.
Blatantly? Are you constantly tripping over corona cases?

I'd rather call it silently.

Well, as we both agree it's been here; let's not get too hung on the adjectives
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:09 pm
Doc67 wrote:It's quite possible this is all part of the November 3rd incident and their contact tracers missed a few people. Now it has popped up again with a whole family infected. Good luck finding all their contacts for the last 2 weeks.

It's also quite possible the virus has been amongst us all this whole time. It's nearly impossible to not have had it imported back in January-April, when Cambodia was one of the only countries who accepted flights from China, and literally the ONLY foreign country that still had DIRECT flights from Wuhan.

[EDIT]Jerry beat me to it. But yeah, my personal fear is mass testing, which then reveals countless cases and instead of realizing it's not a big deal for the local population, then go crazy and copy-paste procedures from abroad which have been rather ineffective.
Having been on the receiving end of three tests, I don't really care for any more. If they roll out mass random testing the people will likely freak out.

Still, it will be better than being in London.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jack.R. wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:04 pm I am hearing she flew in recently and skipped covid procedure but I have no confirmation. HE HE was complaining recently about oukna's wifes not following safety protocols.
If that's true, we have a new headline!

Take the most expensive of the family cars and hold a ceremonial burning of it on Riverside. Put all her handbags and shoes in the car too. Make her watch.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I agree with most of the comments that the virus simply MUST have been here for as long as it's been everywhere else. It would be a modern day miracle for the virus to have spread to every corner of the globe yet somehow missed this little corner of SEA.

Which begs the question, why (so far) has it not been as devastating here as it has been elsewhere?

1. The climate? Well, some studies have suggested that Vitamin D has been shown to lessen the symptoms of Covid, and there's plenty of sunshine here, but that doesn't explain why countries with similar climates have suffered much more than Cambodia.

2. Population age? - Cambodia does have a disproportionate number of younger people than many other countries, and they are generally healthier than many western populations, but there are still many elderly people here also. While younger people may not suffer the symptoms of Covid as much as older people, they are still just as likely to pass it on to to those more vulnerable.

3. Lack of enclosed spaces? - There are no public mass transit systems here, which I'm sure have had a major impact on the spread of the disease in other countries. There also aren't that many places where people tend to gather in very close proximity to each other, other than schools and workplaces.

4. The virus just simply isn't as dangerous as we're being led to believe? This is a conclusion that many in my home country, the UK, are beginning to come to. When you look at the actual real statistics and compare it to what's being reported (both by the media and the government themselves) they just don't seem to add up. So much so that back home, trust in the government has never, ever been as low as it is now. People simply don't believe that the measures the governments are taking (national and local lock-downs) are in any way proportionate to the danger that the disease actually poses.

My view is that it's a mixture of all four, but especially the last one. Going on statistics alone, you are statistically less likely to catch Covid than you are to catch it. Even if you do catch it, most people are unlikely to show any symptoms and others may go on to have very mild symptoms. Even if your symptoms are slightly more serious, you are still unlikely to need hospital treatment, unless you are either elderly or have other health problems. Even if you do need hospital treatment, you are still more likely to survive than you are to die.

As I said, I believe the virus has been here for as long as it's been anywhere else. The main difference is that the government simply hasn't over-reacted as much as other governments have.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Stupid bint. If you have flu-like symptoms, the least you can do is to self isolate at home instead of being out and about. That would even make sense in normal times.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:09 pm

Well said. Btw, we now know that it's been in Italy since September 2019.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/15/coronav ... shows.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic