Home internet speeds

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Home internet speeds

Post by xandreu »

My smart@home internet has gradually been getting slower and slower over the past month or so to the fact where I'm lucky to get 3mbps even though paying for 12mbps.

When you look around at other options, it seems that the most you can expect for a home connection is 12mbps. (Laughingly called FTTH)

But I regularly go to coffee shops where speeds are often over 50mbps.

Which companies offer these types of speeds and do they only offer them to businessess? I've seen companies offering faster then 12mbps connections to the home but the cost is astronomical. I can't imagine even small coffee shops paying those sorts of prices.

Anyone know what the situation is if you want real FTTH speeds (50mbps +) to your home without it costing more than your mortgage?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Home internet speeds

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I have a crappy midrange Metfone connection for $35

18Mb down 10 up consistently, but ofc the advertising states higher speeds
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Maybe Sinet? 40Mbps for $440/year.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by rockyboy612 »

xandreu wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:00 pm My smart@home internet has gradually been getting slower and slower over the past month or so to the fact where I'm lucky to get 3mbps even though paying for 12mbps.

When you look around at other options, it seems that the most you can expect for a home connection is 12mbps. (Laughingly called FTTH)

But I regularly go to coffee shops where speeds are often over 50mbps.

Which companies offer these types of speeds and do they only offer them to businessess? I've seen companies offering faster then 12mbps connections to the home but the cost is astronomical. I can't imagine even small coffee shops paying those sorts of prices.

Anyone know what the situation is if you want real FTTH speeds (50mbps +) to your home without it costing more than your mortgage?
can't really complain considering the price

a CCTV needs about 2Mbps when streaming
basic web surfing barely needs 1Mbps
6Mbps gets you 1080p video streaming
4k needs about 8Mbps

if you would say that you have lots of devices streaming or gaming, then you would have enough money to buy a 300 USD monthly internet plan lol
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

depends on the area you are staying...
the place i'm staying, only 1coy is available to offer the service to the residents and i simply grab the cheapest tier...
I think the best resolution is to call the company up. Sometimes, when new customers sign up, the technical guys screwed up your bandwidth or channel or probably set your limit to lower... Just call and complain that your plan is 12mbps and now it is down to 2mpbs or sometimes don't even have network... See what's their response...
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:54 am Maybe Sinet? 40Mbps for $440/year.
Yes, I am with Sinet, great fiber-optic connection. Although I pay $400/year, but maybe the price has gone up. Either way, it's worth it with Sinet because you are guaranteed a good response team if there are ever any problems and they are just generally stable, also available even in remote areas.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Opennet fibre optic. Home package. About $120 a year plus an extra 3 months added free of charge.

These speeds are fairly consistent, mostly a little quicker on the download. The old ADSL struggled to get to 10mbps.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:54 am Opennet fibre optic. Home package. About $120 a year plus an extra 3 months added free of charge.

These speeds are fairly consistent, mostly a little quicker on the download. The old ADSL struggled to get to 10mbps.
Only get those speeds on local traffic though. What are you getting when you select an overseas server in Australia or the US?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:54 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:54 am Opennet fibre optic. Home package. About $120 a year plus an extra 3 months added free of charge.

Only get those speeds on local traffic though. What are you getting when you select an overseas server in Australia or the US?
Come on Timmy, have you seen some of my calls for help in the tech zone?

You tell me how to do it and I'll tell you what the numbers are. I just press the big button on speed test, it chooses where to go and I'm just a passenger.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:25 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:54 pm

Come on Timmy, have you seen some of my calls for help in the tech zone?

You tell me how to do it and I'll tell you what the numbers are. I just press the big button on speed test, it chooses where to go and I'm just a passenger.
OK see where it says MetfonePNP etc in blue? That's just a random server it has defaulted to. Tap on that and type in the search field Sydney, New York, whatever and you can select from a bunch of servers in those locations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic