HM Receives 10 Oil Tanker Trucks

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: HM Receives 10 Oil Tanker Trucks

Post by Brody »

Hey, 10 oil tanker trucks is equivalent to about 1.5 Bentley's.

Government coffers are for bolstering lavish lifestyles.........not for military, infrastructure, social programs, etc........that's what donations are for. :thumb:
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Brody wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:16 am Hey, 10 oil tanker trucks is equivalent to about 1.5 Bentley's.

Government coffers are for bolstering lavish lifestyles.........not for military, infrastructure, social programs, etc........that's what donations are for. :thumb:

Is that after tax or before tax is paid.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

The manufacturer is Shaanxi Automobile Group (they are Shacman trucks) and they use Magna Steyr (who make the G wagon amongts others) and MAN tech though a joint venture agreement.

Pretty small company by Chinese standards.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Cam.O'Dear wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:30 am Is that after tax or before tax is paid.
Import tax for a Bentley?

Import taxes are for the hoi polloi.

You don't get to the position in Khmer socio-political strata where you can afford Bentleys....without learning how to side-step a few landmines......and that includes exorbitant import tax.

That's just my thoughts though.........I hope to fuck they pay full import tax on all the toys they fill their mansion driveways with......but I have a sneaking suspicion that they don't.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

So, the photo is of 6 larger smallish tankers, and four diminutive little things skulking on the end. Bigger ones for servicing military demand, smaller ones for unobtrusive home deliveries?

How long before, of these ten new jalopies
1 ends up on a road divider
1 ends up in a ditch
1 ends up catching fire
1 ends up ramming some silly bitch
And one ends up shot to shit in a drunken argument, and the driver screaming Not Me, Not Me, Not Me, all the way home.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:01 pm So, the photo is of 6 larger smallish tankers, and four diminutive little things skulking on the end. Bigger ones for servicing military demand, smaller ones for unobtrusive home deliveries?

How long before, of these ten new jalopies
1 ends up on a road divider
1 ends up in a ditch
1 ends up catching fire
1 ends up ramming some silly bitch
And one ends up shot to shit in a drunken argument, and the driver screaming Not Me, Not Me, Not Me, all the way home.

You have no faith in the driving skills these drivers have obtained over the years as tuk-tuk drivers.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

^^^ For the record, Cammo

The Ministry of Road Safety and Population Growth approached the Tuk Tuk drivers with an offer - as the only realistic hope of enlisting experienced, safety conscious, skilled drivers to shepherd all of the heavy vehicles around Cambodian roads and highways.

The ex-military beer trucks, the current-military timber smuggling trucks, the cross-border fire trucks overloaded with duty evading consumer goods. The lot.
The money on offer was very generous, to say the least.

But we had to say
"Sorry No, we are having far to much fun as things stand. We especially love playing around town all day and night with our lovely expat clientele. And they look after us so well.
It is almost a sacred symbiotic relationship that we have. Can't walk away from all that"
For the record.

written and spoken on behalf of the United Tuk Tuk Drivers of Cambodia Guild.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic