Private SUV or Van from PP to HCMC

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Private SUV or Van from PP to HCMC

Post by Matty9999 »

Private driver plus SUV or Van from PP to HCMC (Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City), roughly how much would this cost? I know its about 5 hours drive plus border crossing. Car, SUV, Van, any of the above is fine, 1 passenger plus luggage. Doesn't have to be fancy just get from A to B the right way without dying.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Private SUV or Van from PP to HCMC

Post by John Bingham »

How are you going to get through the border? It's closed.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:59 pm How are you going to get through the border? It's closed.
Yes i know, just planning ahead. assuming it was open, what was the price in Feb, 2020
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Matty9999 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:51 pm Private driver plus SUV or Van from PP to HCMC (Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City), roughly how much would this cost? I know its about 5 hours drive plus border crossing. Car, SUV, Van, any of the above is fine, 1 passenger plus luggage. Doesn't have to be fancy just get from A to B the right way without dying.
Without dying? Have you noticed the driving style and number of accidents? It is a very, very risky proposition.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Marty wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:15 pm
Matty9999 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:51 pm Private driver plus SUV or Van from PP to HCMC (Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City), roughly how much would this cost? I know its about 5 hours drive plus border crossing. Car, SUV, Van, any of the above is fine, 1 passenger plus luggage. Doesn't have to be fancy just get from A to B the right way without dying.
Without dying? Have you noticed the driving style and number of accidents? It is a very, very risky proposition.
I take a long drive in a private car from PP to other places quite routinely. The only way to make it without developing a heart condition is to close your eyes, put in some ear phones and lean back with a prayer.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Apollo91881 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:29 pm
Marty wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:15 pm
I take a long drive in a private car from PP to other places quite routinely. The only way to make it without developing a heart condition is to close your eyes, put in some ear phones and lean back with a prayer.
LOL. Good for you, happy driving. A Saint Christopher or Buddha on the dash would also help.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

OP is clearly OK about dying or he would be flying, or taking the big bus.
I've never done that trip by private car. I would guess about $60 to Bavet. Then about $25 to HCMC. I wouldn't fancy the negotiation with the driver on the Vietnam side.Can he do a through journey in the same car?
Besides being safer, those big buses had a good routine at the border, made it easy for the pax.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:38 pm OP is clearly OK about dying or he would be flying, or taking the big bus.
I've never done that trip by private car. I would guess about $60 to Bavet. Then about $25 to HCMC. I wouldn't fancy the negotiation with the driver on the Vietnam side.Can he do a through journey in the same car?
Besides being safer, those big buses had a good routine at the border, made it easy for the pax.
Well great for the OP, he's clearly got in the spirit of things in a country where it's OK to be dead. I like the bus, though was in a serious accident in one, your chances of survival are much better in any collision.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:38 pm OP is clearly OK about dying or he would be flying, or taking the big bus.
I have a lot of luggage thats why im looking to take a private vehicle but first im going to the islands then when i come back from that ill go to HCMC if its open. I may also check the cost of an airline but im sure itll be a lot more given the cost of luggage.

Edit just checked airlines are showing some inflated prices $500 to $1000, but in my case luggage is another $500-$700.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Matty9999 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:00 pm
I have a lot of luggage thats why im looking to take a private vehicle but first im going to the islands then when i come back from that ill go to HCMC if its open. I may also check the cost of an airline but im sure itll be a lot more given the cost of luggage.

Edit just checked airlines are showing some inflated prices $500 to $1000, but in my case luggage is another $500-$700.
If you're coming from the islands, wouldn't you do better crossing the border at Ha Tien?

You can take a lot of luggage on the PP-HCMC big bus btw, just pay a little extra.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic