Exchange Rate for USD/Khmer Riel in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Exchange Rate for USD/Khmer Riel in Cambodia?

Post by Matty9999 »

Hi what bank offers the best exchange rate? I went to a Canadian bank and they offered me like 4064 Riel per USD, street vendors will offer 4000, anything better like 4200?

Oops I just checked google, the real exchange rate now is about 4045, it was 4100 but the USD went down a bit. Ill post this anyway just to see if anyone else wants to comment Re: exchange rates, but it looks like the Riel stays pretty constant in line with USD.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Exchange Rate USD/Khmer Riel

Post by Username Taken »

Seawolf is that you?
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:52 pm Seawolf is that you?
No i dont know anyone by that name, but i used to watch that show back in the 80s Airwolf:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airwolf
tireswang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tireswang »

Yea, it is weird how the exchange rate only varies a wee bit, either way and most ordinary folks ignore it. It is the same same in Belize where they also prefer to use the $ instead of their own currency. 1 USD $ = 2 Belize dollars...Beggars there do not always beg, they often say Give me a Dollar. Life in Cambodia is Mo Bettahs and you can Belize dat.
~
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:52 pm Seawolf is that you?

Haha I thought he was Aaron or maybe Aaron is just following him around. Both last entered around March and both off to the islands at the same time lol.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

In reply to the original question the rate varies daily between roughly 3900 and 4100 riel per dollar. Who gives the best rate can depend on who updates their rates the quickest. As a general rule for any currency the bank with the greatest volume of transactions will probably offer the best rates. In Cambodia that would be Acleda Bank or ABA.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

samrong01 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:01 pm In reply to the original question the rate varies daily between roughly 3900 and 4100 riel per dollar.
I might be wrong because I only ever see the rate on ATMs and money changers, but I haven't noticed the rate going below 4000 in at least a year.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:07 pm
samrong01 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:01 pm In reply to the original question the rate varies daily between roughly 3900 and 4100 riel per dollar.
I might be wrong because I only ever see the rate on ATMs and money changers, but I haven't noticed the rate going below 4000 in at least a year.
Its been quite some time since it has been below 4000 but it did go that low about 2 or 3 years ago.
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

Normally round (Chin) New year the rate is getting better, usually
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic