Stop the Violence Against Women !

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Stop the Violence Against Women !

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Anyone who reads the CEO News items regularly will be aware that domestic violence, and violence against women in general, is widespread in Cambodia. Today is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, and Cambodia Expats Online supports all efforts to combat violence against women in Cambodia.
[Some people will say that there is also violence by women against men, in Cambodia and elsewhere. Do a CEO forum search with the words "domestic violence" if you doubt that women and girls are the principle victims of violence in Cambodia.]

November 25, 2020
CCHR launches campaign against violence

The Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) will begin a campaign today in conjunction with the UN’s 16 Days of Activism to End Gender-Based Violence which ends on December 10 – Human Rights Day.

Today marks the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women.

Violence against women is one of the most widespread and devastating human rights abuses in the world and remains pervasive in Cambodia. It is estimated that more than one in five Cambodian women experience violence at the hands of their partner, a number believed to have risen since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to a CCHR statement yesterday, it urges the government to fulfil its obligations to promote, protect and respect human rights across the country, and in particular take steps to protect women’s rights and promote gender equality.

It said that CCHR has planned a series of activities to raise awareness of the human rights situation, particularly in relation to women’s rights and the efforts of human rights defenders in Cambodia.

CCHR will release a timeline today illustrating key events in Cambodia relating to women’s rights that have occurred this year.

The timeline covers a number of highly concerning human rights violations involving women.

It said that on November 26, CCHR’s new vox pop style video on ‘What is Gender-based Violence?’, where the CCHR team goes out onto the streets to discuss the concept of gender-based violence and other events, will be screened.

Chak Sopheap, executive director of CCHR, said yesterday that these significant days in the human rights calendar serve as a good reminder that human rights apply to everyone, everywhere, simply by virtue of their humanity. In particular, women’s rights are human rights.

“The 16 Days Campaign inspires our community to take action against gender-based violence. It is the responsibility of every individual to protect and promote the rights of the women and girls, and I encourage the public to take these days as an opportunity to stand up for human rights and ensure that they become a reality for all Cambodians,” she said.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50785810/c ... -violence/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Stop the Violence Against Women !

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Never hit a woman
cop it sweet if they hit you

That's what my grandfather taught me anyway, and i can cop that.
And i know my wife takes pride about it to her friends. "Not once!" she boasts.
("psst. but don't worry, he can be a real bastard in lots of other ways") lol

I realise that might not be fashionable amongst some branches of the equal rights movement
who demand the right to hit back.
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Johno35 »

Domestic violence can be reduced, it will never be eliminated. There will never be gender equality. That is a Utopian dream.

At least the UN recognizes that their dreams are Utopian:

https://www.unwomen.org/en/digital-libr ... ity-utopia

BREAKING NEWS: We found a country that has achieved gender equality!

In Equiterra all people have equal rights and opportunities, regardless of their gender. Women and girls feel safe when walking at night. They get paid equally as men, for work of equal value.

Men and women share chores and care duties at home, and they can access high quality care at affordable rates. Isn’t that fabulous!

No one is talking about ‘at least 30 per cent’ quota for women in political leadership in Equiterra anymore—men and women are equally represented in political offices, corporate boardrooms and factory floors. Women have equal say in decisions that affect their lives, their bodies, their policies, and their environment. Girls are as valued as boys are, and people of all gender and sexuality feel safe and equal.

This is what gender equality looks like. Join us for a tour of its bustling capital!

1. Unstereotype Avenue - The word stereotype has lost its meaning in this country. People root for the girl who wants to be a professional football player, not question her capabilities. Teachers encourage all of their students to choose STEM fields instead of assuming that girls wouldn’t be interested in them.

2. Violence-Free Alley - In Equiterra, it is women’s shared experiences of empowerment and equality that often bring them together, rather than shared experiences of sexual harassment and abuse. Since gender equality is the norm, the power dynamics between intimate partners are not oppressive or toxic.

3. There are no systemic barriers that hold women back and since they are encouraged to pursue careers across all sectors, there is no ‘women’s work’ or ‘men’s work’. Women stay in the pipeline and become leaders across industries.

4. Toxic Masculinity Recycling Plant - Just like in every civilization, citizens of Equiterra are affected by the human history, including patriarchal ideas of gender roles and what it means to be a boy or a girl, a woman or a man, a transgender person or a gender-nonconforming person.

5. Inclusion square - Inclusion square is where families and friends meet to relax and spend time outside. Anyone and everyone can enjoy the space: It’s accessible for those living with disability; people don’t feel judged or discriminated against on the basis of their sexual orientation, race, religion or socioeconomic standing. Here, everyone feels welcome and included. Here, everyone is safe and able to enjoy themselves.

6. Climate Action Street - In Equiterra there are no deniers of climate change.

7. Equal Representation Avenue - Along Equal Representation Avenue are some of the most important institutions: government headquarters, leading businesses, and a major newspaper office and TV station. They all have gender balanced leadership. The Parliament has equal representation of women and men, and the boardrooms show women and men of diversity working towards common goals. In the media, you don’t see harmful stereotypes and sexism.

8. Education Boulevard - In Equiterra, education is a top priority. On the school grounds, you see young girls and boys reading history books that include stories of both women and men who have shaped their communities and culture. Children attend school without worrying about their safety, and girls and boys share chores at home. Girls are taught science and math without the presumption that it’s not for them. Boys learn humanities and art and learn the importance of gender equality.

9. Freedom Avenue - Freedom is one of the guiding principles of life in Equiterra. Freedom of expression and movement, freedom to choose your identity, and freedom to choose how many children you have and to have control over your own body.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I really feel for anyone who is a victim of domestic violence. I believe it is a wrong doing, and should be publishable by law. It's not just the physical abuse but the mental one that can scare someone.
On the subject but taking a role reversal, is there any males on the forum that have suffered the same here in Cambodia?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Brody wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:57 pm
Connery was wrong to believe that “ if a woman nags you enough you should give her a clout”, if a partner (woman or man) pushes your buttons to the point you want to hit them, that is the point that you should get the hell out of that relationship.
Anyone who has been assaulted by a partner should also get the hell out of that relationship, and none of this “sticking together for the sake of the kids” bullshit, it’s not “noble”, and kids do not appreciate a parent taking abuse for their sakes (neither do they appreciate the cunt who dishes out that abuse)
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Nobody should be the victim of domestic violence, regardless of sex/orientation.

Also, I disagree that one should never strike a woman; but only if it's absolutely necessary to defend your life/wellbeing.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:48 pm Never hit a woman

I realise that might not be fashionable amongst some branches of the equal rights movement
How about don’t hit anyone?
I wrote, and deleted an anecdote, don’t fucking hit people unless your life, or someone else’s depends on it.
up to you...
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Is there such a thing as a restraining order or equivalent in Cambodia?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:48 pm Never hit a woman

So your wife takes pride in being able to hit you knowing you won't hit back( if I read it correctly), sorry mate but it's time to leave. It's hard and I should take my own advice, but nowhere to run to nowhere to hide.
Last edited by atst on Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic