Stop the Violence Against Women !

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Stop the Violence Against Women !

Post by atst »

Just found this restraining order Cambodia

I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

About 8 years ago I was living on 271. There was a lot of commotion across the road, first with screaming and then crowds of locals gathering and having a look. Anyway this local woman's estranged husband had suddenly turned up after a few months and was drunk and had pummeled her face really badly. It was all badly swollen and she could hardly see through the "black eyes" - but he had already left. So not long after some Intervention Police turned up in their bottle green uniforms, they are a heavy squad. They talked to the locals and the badly injured crying woman for a bit. Then they pretty much said "This is a husband and wife problem, we don't involved in those, goodbye". And rode off on their Honda Nighthawks. The people started going crazy and saying they were all going to the sangkat to complain the next day but I doubt anything came of it. I was disgusted. I also thought about how I should stay away from local conflicts that can quickly go pear-shaped.

There was one particularly remarkable one where a burglar got stuck between the walls of the neighboring houses. The pissed off workers who lived there were smacking the wall with a sledge hammer to demolish the bricks and get him loose, each one was also impacting him so by the time he was extracted he was fucked. He was on his back and started puking and his eyeballs were rolling so I put him in a recovery position. Then all the guys started coming towards him fighting and wanting to fuck him up, it got grim so I got the fuck out then. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

You got talent, JB ^^
Cambodian domestic dispute resolution...
You could branch out with a book like "A practical skills guide for being a South China Sea Pirate"
or similar

You got a fine taste for the bloody
and i know how much you probably enjoy writing this stuff
:D
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Equiterra, straight out of gender studies (or whatever the fuck they call it now) 101. Sounds more like a bad dream. Oh wait. There is already a country like that. Welcome to Canada! Please wait in the immigration queue for your "proper thoughts" chip implant. For your own good, of course.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

So in desperation you take out a restraining order, now you have the confidence of the establishment to protect you, hahaha yeah that's great :stir:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Arm the women. Even in western countries, where restraining orders are taken seriously, the cops are often too late. Or the cops end up injured or killed as well. With a gun in hand, those poor women will have a fighting chance.

Except in Cambodia. Where the average person is not allowed to have firearms.

The gun is the great equalizer. And a person with firearms training. Doesn’t matter the person’s size, age, or gender.

I’m putting my tin foil hat back on now.

Let the hate flow!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

You have no idea - do you? Twenty years ago many minor confrontations were being resolved with an AK or a grenade. Since then the EU small arms reduction program and some Japanese initiatives have made firearms increasingly unavailable. So a lot less people are being shot or blown up because of some argument over a chicken or mango or whatever. Of course there are many incidents still where officials brandish firearms but far less than before. You seem like the kind of guy that would be scared if you were outside your comfort zone without packing a Colt Python or whatever it is you boast about. Guess what? Most of get around fine without carrying firearms. I'm starting to worry about this poor nurse now, it seems she has got involved with some sort of survivalist cult member. Jesus wept.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Having a gun is "the great equalizer"? Now what happens when they both have guns usually = murder/suicide. Per JB, do you know the tragic history of guns in Cambodia? Your tin hat is not going to protect you when your "missus" has gun.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

I can see it as clearly as the muddy Tonlie Sap water. In the next protest where old village ladies are confronted by the police and military, the villagers will have replaced pictures of HE and the First Lady with
Spoiler:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

One-third of Cambodian rape cases are committed by a family member but victims are denied justice, report finds
Posted 11 hours ago

Nearly one-third of rape cases in Cambodia involve a suspect who is related to the victim, a human rights group has found, but many of the accused abusers are not prosecuted by the full weight of the law.

The confronting Cambodian League for the Promotion and Defense of Human Rights (LICADHO) report found family pressure and financial reliance on their abusers meant many victims withdrew their complaints.

When incidents did result in a conviction, just over half of the family rape cases investigated by LICADHO resulted in a prison sentence which fully applied the relevant law.

In one case highlighted in the Broken Silence report, a girl given the pseudonym 'Seiha' was raped by her grandfather.

"Luckily, he only threatened her [instead of killing her]. He said, 'If you tell anyone, I will cut your throat'," her mother told LICADHO.

Despite the threat, Seiha's parents reported the assault to police — who her mother alleges told her to keep quiet about the abuse.

"I said, 'This happened and you want to keep it a secret also?'" Seiha's mother said.

"'It's a big problem for my daughter, and you want it to be a secret?'"

Of all the rape or attempted rape cases investigated by the organisation from January 2017 to December 2019, 137 — nearly one in three — involved a suspect who was related to the person who reported the abuse.

The report found suspects had threatened to kill the person they abused in half of those cases, and many of the victims had to continue to live with or near the perpetrator.

"Despite this, comprehensive protections during and following legal proceedings are either non-existent or inaccessible," the report said.

Seiha's father told LICADHO: "They [police] processed the case quickly only in the beginning, when the incident happened."
"Later on, they seemed to stop working on the case."

The report found authorities often "improperly dropped or stalled" criminal proceedings or applied more lenient sentences after complaints were withdrawn.

In another case, a 35-year-old man was sentenced to just two years' jail for raping his 13-year-old cousin after his charges were downgraded during the trial.

The report found many families reported not receiving compensation ordered by the court in some cases, "and felt hopeless about receiving it due to the burdensome process".
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-10/ ... t/12969660
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic