UN Cambodian Peacekeeper Teacher Brings Learning to South Sudan

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UN Cambodian Peacekeeper Teacher Brings Learning to South Sudan

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Living her dream: from teacher to peacekeeper in Aweil
Captain Thavin Khon from Cambodia used to be a teacher. Here she is back in her element, visiting a school in Aweil.
20 Nov 2020
Emmanuel Kele

Captain Thavin Khon from Cambodia is a teacher by profession and passionate about education by nature. She knows that without peace, schools rarely function, thus depriving children of the future they deserve. That is why she wanted to become a peacekeeper, and now she is living her dream, in Aweil in Northern Bahr-el-Ghazal State.

“My country used to be at war, just like South Sudan. I want everyone to enjoy the freedom and personal growth that education can offer,” says 32-year-old Captain Khon.

She is currently a military liaison officer, serving with the United Nations Mission in South Sudan.

“My wish has always been to ensure that people can live in peace and harmony. That is why I joined the peacekeeping unit of the Cambodian army, but little did I realize that one day, I would actually be serving in South Sudan as a peacekeeper. I am very happy here,” says Captain Khon, who already has ten years of military experience under her belt.

On this day, however, she has at least partly switched back to teacher mode. Captain Khon and some of her compatriots are visiting Hai Matar Primary School, and they have brought treats to its keen learners: textbooks, pens, pencil and sharpeners are handed out to smiling children.

“I feel so bad when I see children here not going to school, or not having the material they need. These children are the future of this country. They deserve adequate schooling, just like everybody else,” she says.

Unfortunately, such basic services are not always delivered in South Sudan, where the education system suffers badly from factors ranging from insecurity and a lack of schools and properly trained teachers to forced early marriages, unwanted pregnancies and high dropout rates, particularly among girls.

The UN family is trying to contribute to a better future for the sons and daughters of the host country. By means of a Quick Impact Project, Hai Matar Primary School has already, in May 2019, received a much-needed boost: four new classrooms were financed by the peacekeeping mission.

“I appreciate these efforts, but we need school uniforms as well,” says 15-year-old Angelina Mateo Ayak.

“We need two more classrooms to be constructed,” adds Mary, another pupil at the school.
https://unmiss.unmissions.org/living-he ... eper-aweil
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: UN Cambodian Peacekeeper Teacher Brings Learning to South Sudan

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:38 pm they have brought treats to its keen learners: textbooks, pens, pencil and sharpeners are handed out to smiling children.
...four new classrooms were financed by the peacekeeping mission.

“I appreciate these efforts, but we need school uniforms as well,” says 15-year-old Angelina Mateo Ayak.
“We need two more classrooms to be constructed,” adds Mary, another pupil at the school.
What's wrong with them?
Why don't they want the latest IPhone like every other well adjusted kid on the planet?

Oh! lightbulb
Maybe that's what they got the Cambodian woman to teach them...
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

:facepalm: Some posters complain that there are not enough positive Cambodian news items. But when they are posted, they get very few views.
I think it's great that Cambodians are getting out there and helping others. Good post. :wave:
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Simply because this isn't really a "good" news. It isn't really news to be quite frank. It's just a UN peacekeeper doing some extra curricular activities. There's absolutely nothing special there.

A good news would be that Cambodia finally followed Vietnam's lead and is likely to become one of the most prosperous ASEAN nations.... Mh. Good day, sir.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic