Bequeathing deposits in Cambodian banks?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Bequeathing deposits in Cambodian banks?

Post by chinesetakeaway »

Has anyone set-up the required legal documents to bequeath any deposits held in Cambodian banks? I know of several expats, myself included, who have nothing in place. I assume it's difficult meaning expensive and time consuming for your surviving spouse or family especially if overseas to lay claim without said documentation? I'll post any info I find from other sources as an fyi on here.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: Bequeathing deposits in Cambodian banks?

Post by TWY »

We simply have my wife's name on the account here in Cambodia. I don't have anything from a lawyer that says so, but given she currently can withdraw money from the account - If something happens to me, the money in the account is hers. I've intentionally kept the rest of our assets outside of Cambodia and have a will (with a law firm from my home country) that specifies how to distribute my assets.

If your trying to arrange for someone else to inherit the money (ie not in Cambodia) and its a substantial amount, then I'd definitely contact one of the better law firms in PP that might have someone that specializes in estate planning. Expect to pay a few thousand dollars for their services.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Search Will's on here
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

The simplest way is to set up joint accounts but you need to trust your wife/gf. It violates the important principle of ensuring you are worth more alive than dead!

If you have online banking, you can leave the log in info with your intended beneficiary, and if you prefer you can encode the details - leaving the code with a friend. Of course this could come unstuck if the bank knows of your demise and freezes the account.

If you make a Will, it must be notarised (and this is expensive). Also the exact banks and account numbers must be specified. Which means if these change, you must refresh your Will. Banks tend to be picky about paying out on Wills so the joint account method is the best.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Whether you die in or out of the country is irrelevant btw.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Acleda Bank advised me that it is possible to name a person who gets the money in the event of your death. This person only needs to show the death certificate. I checked with other banks and also Prasac but they do not have this option.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

samrong01 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:39 am Acleda Bank advised me that it is possible to name a person who gets the money in the event of your death. This person only needs to show the death certificate. I checked with other banks and also Prasac but they do not have this option.
That would be excellent.

Canadia told me five years ago that they would make such an arrangement but it would cost $500. Still much cheaper than a notarised Will, however.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:10 am
samrong01 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:39 am Acleda Bank advised me that it is possible to name a person who gets the money in the event of your death. This person only needs to show the death certificate. I checked with other banks and also Prasac but they do not have this option.
That would be excellent.

Canadia told me five years ago that they would make such an arrangement but it would cost $500. Still much cheaper than a notarised Will, however.
But not much cheaper if you have money in more than one bank plus other assets. $1000 gets you a notarised will
Don't forget this is Cambodia what people say and what actually happens are two different things
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I am going to go try to add my minor child to my ABA account for when he turns 18 and see if they will let me .
I know i won’t be around then . Also have to register him at the embassy so he can get my govt life ins.
I guess that won’t be easy either with the mother out of the picture , $1000 for notarization is not worth it .
🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

atst wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:57 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:10 am
That would be excellent.

But not much cheaper if you have money in more than one bank plus other assets. $1000 gets you a notarised will
Possibly, but bear in mind what I said in an earlier post about the precise account numbers.
Have you had one done for $1000? Just curious.
I think Wills work well with other assets, but bank accounts not so much.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic