Cambodia's vulnerability as the Covid economic slowdown continues to steamroll into 2021

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Cambodia's vulnerability as the Covid economic slowdown continues to steamroll into 2021

Post by La Quenta »

I am concerned about the state of the country in 2021. More concerned about Cambodia compared to any other nation in the ASEAN (or Asia for that matter).

Looking at data, Cambodia has the 2nd least complex economy in the region (only Myanmar is worse). For those who don't know, this means that Cambodia has a very poorly diversified economy indeed. They rank 119th - worse than neighbours Laos (116), Vietnam (81) and Thailand (28).

Cambodian imports are shockingly imbalanced, with over 55% of all imports coming from China and Thailand alone.

Personal and Business travel rank no1 and no3 respectively for service exports.

I was considering a move to Cambodia prior to Covid-19, but the outlook appears very poor. (I didn't make the move in the end, but still remain somewhat interested)

What is the feeling on the ground there? I don't know anyone living there at present, but i'm hearing some sad stories 3rd hand about retail & wholesaling closures. This isn't unique to Cambodia - there are sad economy related stories everywhere at the moment. My concern is the countries ability to correct itself and get back on track once the opportunity arises.

Can Cambodia bounce back in 2021? Or is it at the start of a long period of malaise?

What does it look like first hand for those of us who aren't there?
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Cambodia's vulnerability as the Covid economic slowdown continues to steamroll into 2021

Post by Ghostwriter »

Even the wealthy are looking for a plan B,
in the land of prahok and bugattis

Good start for a poetry
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia's vulnerability as the Covid economic slowdown continues to steamroll into 2021

Post by Johno35 »

La Quenta wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:19 pm I am concerned about the state of the country in 2021. More concerned about Cambodia compared to any other nation in the ASEAN (or Asia for that matter).

Looking at data, Cambodia has the 2nd least complex economy in the region (only Myanmar is worse). For those who don't know, this means that Cambodia has a very poorly diversified economy indeed. They rank 119th - worse than neighbours Laos (116), Vietnam (81) and Thailand (28).

Cambodian imports are shockingly imbalanced, with over 55% of all imports coming from China and Thailand alone.

Personal and Business travel rank no1 and no3 respectively for service exports.

I was considering a move to Cambodia prior to Covid-19, but the outlook appears very poor. (I didn't make the move in the end, but still remain somewhat interested)

What is the feeling on the ground there? I don't know anyone living there at present, but i'm hearing some sad stories 3rd hand about retail & wholesaling closures. This isn't unique to Cambodia - there are sad economy related stories everywhere at the moment. My concern is the countries ability to correct itself and get back on track once the opportunity arises.

Can Cambodia bounce back in 2021? Or is it at the start of a long period of malaise?

What does it look like first hand for those of us who aren't there?
If you’re cashed up or retired it’s not so bad. Lots of prime real estate for rent or sale at great prices.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Seems like it's not a good destination for people with entrepreneurial ideations right now.

What about digital nomads, people who can work from anywhere with a computer and fast internet and maybe want to spend several months in Cambodia? With all the business closings and travel restrictions, would life end up being pretty dull?
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

techietraveller84 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:00 am Seems like it's not a good destination for people with entrepreneurial ideations right now.

What about digital nomads, people who can work from anywhere with a computer and fast internet and maybe want to spend several months in Cambodia? With all the business closings and travel restrictions, would life end up being pretty dull?
That’s what’s kept me away. Original plan was to be in the country by now.

So disappointed at how little effort the govt are making to secure any vaccines - from what I can tell in the news they casually asked Russia for theirs and didn’t hear back from them so had to ask again a month later and still don’t have anything resembling an actual order for delivery. :BangHead:
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:09 am
techietraveller84 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:00 am Seems like it's not a good destination for people with entrepreneurial ideations right now.

That’s what’s kept me away. Original plan was to be in the country by now.

So disappointed at how little effort the govt are making to secure any vaccines - from what I can tell in the news they casually asked Russia for theirs and didn’t hear back from them so had to ask again a month later and still don’t have anything resembling an actual order for delivery. :BangHead:
What's the status of China's promise of vaccines to Cambodia? I hear that Khmer Times isn't the most reliable source, but per the article linked below, China has made some vaccine related promises. As for Russia, it's probably a blessing in disguise it isn't sharing it's hastily pieced together vaccine.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50772446/v ... -cambodia/
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

I don’t know, but given China haven’t proven that any of their vaccines work and don’t cause harm, I’m not not booking any flights based on that either.
covidsux
Expatriate
Bahamas

Post by covidsux »

techietraveller84 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:53 amWhat's the status of China's promise of vaccines to Cambodia? I hear that Khmer Times isn't the most reliable source, but per the article linked below, China has made some vaccine related promises. As for Russia, it's probably a blessing in disguise it isn't sharing it's hastily pieced together vaccine.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50772446/v ... -cambodia/
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/ ... cine-race/

As COVID-19 began spreading earlier this year, it took Gamaleya scientists only a few weeks to adapt their MERS adenovirus vectors for the new pathogen. After testing on mice, guinea pigs and monkeys, the center’s director and key scientists injected themselves with the vaccine.

Apparently, they had had the foundation for adaptation for around 6 years. Most western media chose to gloss over this significant fact. Personally not sure which I'd prefer, Russian or Chinese. Wrt cost, pretty sure both will be cheaper than Pfizer or the Israeli one mentioned a few months back. Pfizer 2-shot treatment is $40 pp

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/2 ... 9-vaccines
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

If you focus on paper, you'll never see the big picture.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I would think the Chinese investors are doing very well in the current situation, and if they are doing so, it would be safe to say that some Cambodian people are doing equal taking opportunities of their ongoing investors. For certain the Chinese business is growing daily with what I see in the capital city. The big Cambodian construction companies seem to be doing well also with new and ongoing planning, such has the expansion of housing on the borey sites, this is what I don't understand, but they must have a prospective to whom are going to buy.
Has the vaccine goes I thought the government had sealed the deal with Europe that they will receive 3% of the vaccine when produced.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic