Cambodia's vulnerability as the Covid economic slowdown continues to steamroll into 2021

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Re: Cambodia's vulnerability as the Covid economic slowdown continues to steamroll into 2021

Post by willyhilly »

The yellow fever vaccination was still required if one wanted to visit Uganda only a few years ago. I still have the booklet in my old passport.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Cambodia's vulnerability as the Covid economic slowdown continues to steamroll into 2021

Post by newkidontheblock »

Kammekor wrote:On top of that, China will probably insist on (mass)vaccinations.

So I think you're wrong.
Typically the Cambodian government doesn’t like to do something just because someone insists on it.

However they are always happy when someone does it for them.

Hopefully this means that the PRC will send the vaccine, personnel, infrastructure, and resources (or just money) to pay for mass vaccinations under ‘China Aid’. More business for the NGOs.

WIN WIN.

I hope you are right.

But the PRC won’t do it until their people are vaccinated first. So it may take a while.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

That depends on confidence in the safety of it.
I am sure several versions will be available at pharmacies when a non cryo type is produced.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

nemo wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:23 pm That depends on confidence in the safety of it.
I am sure several versions will be available at pharmacies when a non cryo type is produced.
Yeah, the cryo thing will be an issue in Cambodia. I heard -70 Celsius for one, -45 Celsius for another. The requires serious cooling equipment.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:04 am
nemo wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:23 pm That depends on confidence in the safety of it.
Yeah, the cryo thing will be an issue in Cambodia. I heard -70 Celsius for one, -45 Celsius for another. The requires serious cooling equipment.
The Pfizer one needs -70 up until a few hours before deployment. I think I read that the Moderna one just requires being kept chilled in a normal fridge. This is obviously a serious advantage but even that could mount logistical problems here as chilled vehicles aren't a common sight here.

However, both these vaccines are controlled by US and EU entities. Cambodia has made her choice and is wedded to China. They have very few friends left in either bloc. They ensured that with the CNRP business and a 125-0 election result. This has long lasting consequences. Therefore, they will be stuck with the Chinese vaccine and at the back of a very very long queue.

They may well do nothing and watch the world around them getting vaccinated and enjoy the resulting 'global' herd immunity. The can insist on vaccination for visitors and that will do the trick. Given that the vast majority of Cambodians don't travel abroad anyway, international vaccination cards will be as much use to them as fur coats.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:09 pm Given Cambodia's positioning of full-on China support, and their deteriorating relations with the US and the EU, Cambodia better pray that the Chinese vaccine works as they are a very long way down the list of countries to be given a handout from both the US and the EU (or the UK, which is going to have one all of it's own soon)
Of course, the ruling elite can just arrange for their shots and, once protected, can open the doors up again and let the rest of their population take their chances.
The frustrating thing is that over-60s make up only 7% of Cambodia's population. They'd only need 1 million courses and then the country could go back to relative normality.
It wouldn't be ideal in terms of younger 'long covid' sufferers etc, but by and large it's not an unreasonable strategy given the resources available to them.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

They will be taken care of!

LONDON/GENEVA: A facility set up by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the GAVI vaccine group has exceeded an interim target of raising more than $2 billion to buy and distribute COVID-19 shots for poorer countries, but said it still needs more.

https://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/artic ... or-nations

The EU is willing to invest in some 88 million doses of coronavirus vaccines for poor countries as part of its participation in a global effort to secure and equitably distribute immunizations, the Commission said Friday.

The Commission and the EU 27, under the banner of “Team Europe,” will contribute to the COVAX Facility with an initial €230 million in cash through a loan from the European Investment Bank. That sum amounts to reserves or options to buy 88 million doses, and the EU “would transfer these” to eligible low-and middle income countries, a press release said.

Another contribution of €170 million would be in the form of guarantees from the EU budget.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-to-f ... countries/

Then and meanwhile the better off Cambodians can freely visit the UK without isolation measures, and drive around with their international drivers permit.

The British Embassy in Cambodia has announced that anyone arriving in the United Kingdom from Cambodia will not need to self-isolate following a decreased risk of COVID-19 in the Kingdom, according to an embassy announcement yesterday.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/784228/no- ... -cambodia/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

techietraveller84 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:53 am
nerdlinger wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:09 am
techietraveller84 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:00 am Seems like it's not a good destination for people with entrepreneurial ideations right now.

What about digital nomads, people who can work from anywhere with a computer and fast internet and maybe want to spend several months in Cambodia? With all the business closings and travel restrictions, would life end up being pretty dull?
That’s what’s kept me away. Original plan was to be in the country by now.

So disappointed at how little effort the govt are making to secure any vaccines - from what I can tell in the news they casually asked Russia for theirs and didn’t hear back from them so had to ask again a month later and still don’t have anything resembling an actual order for delivery. :BangHead:
What's the status of China's promise of vaccines to Cambodia? I hear that Khmer Times isn't the most reliable source, but per the article linked below, China has made some vaccine related promises. As for Russia, it's probably a blessing in disguise it isn't sharing it's hastily pieced together vaccine.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50772446/v ... -cambodia/
Yeah I wouldn't be too keen on a vaccine made by the same people that brought us Chernobyl.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:56 pm
Felgerkarb wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:10 pm The vaccine will likely be mandatory for international travel...
Exactly like the yellow fever vaccine was needed in the 70's if u traveled in South america, most of Africa.
bring back the yellow vaccine card

Am hopeful this will eliminate quarantines
I had one on my first trip to Sth America in 2008
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote:Yeah I wouldn't be too keen on a vaccine made by the same people that brought us Chernobyl.
The cause of Chernobyl is a government secret. All those who revealed it to the West, went to prison later on.

Plus Putin has already tested the vaccine on all the troops. And his daughters. It must be safe and effective at this point.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic