Cambodian Singer's Charity Run Raises Money for Angkor Children's Hospital

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian Singer's Charity Run Raises Money for Angkor Children's Hospital

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Great initiative by singer Sai.

Celebrity charity reels in $380K for kids
Voun Dara | Publication date 16 November 2020 | 21:59 ICT

Cambodian donors have kicked in $380,000 to the Angkor Hospital for Children in Siem Reap province through the Run for Charity with Sai and the One Dollar Game Campaign for Cambodian Children.

The initiatives were created by singer and performer Uon Pakthom, better known as Sai, with the hospital later spreading the word on its Facebook page.

The Angkor Hospital for Children wrote a letter on November 13 thanking the donors: “This campaign aims to encourage and instil the spirit of all Cambodians into donating one dollar to the Angkor Hospital for it to continue its operational journey in providing treatment and care services to Cambodian children.

“Our hospital is also encountering difficulties in seeking funds from generous people at home and abroad.”

Sinketh Arun, the director of the hospital’s Public Relations-Cambodia Department, told The Post on November 16 the children and parents had the honour of being encouraged by the Cambodian philanthropists who have continually donated their money.

“The people started providing one dollar from November 11 and we saw over $260,000. But as of November 15, the donations had reached over $380,000,” she said.

According to the hospital’s letter, the One Dollar Game Campaign for Cambodian Children started on the evening of November 11. The campaign was created when the Run for charity with Sai took place. The campaign quickly became a movement supported widely on social media.

Run for Charity with Sai started on October 6 and is scheduled to end on January 13, 2021.

Sai said he had planned to run along the roads and the border of Cambodia for 99 days to raise money for the hospital.

“I was inspired to create the run event for this charity when I saw information on the challenges facing the hospital,” he told The Post on November 16.

“A lot of children from my village went to this hospital for treatment. The hospital doesn’t discriminate against the rich or the poor. Initially, when I took children to be treated, I thought I would have to spend money. But after the hospital cured them, I didn’t get charged,” Sai said.

Sai said his run has lasted for 42 days as of November 16. During this period, he and others who joined in made it across 10 provinces and was heading towards Banteay Meanchey province. He said the main challenge he has faced is traffic in some areas, where drivers of heavy trucks disobeyed the road law and travelled against the traffic.

Angkor Hospital for Children currently employs 500 doctors and staff and treats 180,000 children per year from many provinces.

Children under the age of 16 are treated free of charge.

According to the hospital’s Facebook page, donations can be sent through the following accounts: ABA: Angkor Hospital for Children (000 853 843) and Wing: 9122 (riel); 8122 (dollar); ACLEDA: Angkor Hospital for Children (01000105696828); Sathapana: Angkor Hospital for Chidren (07808082834100102).
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... -380k-kids
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian Singer's Charity Run Raises Money for Angkor Children's Hospital

24 November 2020
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Well done, Sai. From social media news today (10 Jan 2021):
Excited to find nothing to say, finally I can do it 2,408 k. Running around Cambodia, 21 provinces, cities, 97 days, thanks for all the support, support, donation, participation, encouragement that happened in the past. I wouldn't be able to do it if y'all lack of help. We have now run to Phnom Penh, and if anyone would like to get a resort or rice, we will be happy to stay in a few days, and every 99 days as set since the first time of the program, run for charity with size.
Finally, I've got a team and thank you to all my family, province / city administration, districts, police, supporters and all Cambodia people for donating and supporting us. Wishing everyone happiness, good health and success in all duties. #Rot for charity with size #Rot for Cambodia Children #RUNWITHSAI #SaiRunCharityKH #PhnomPenhArrival

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Good to see some positive people out there, doing their bit to help others. Nice story.

‘Run with Sai’ effort inspires youth’s charity school project
Roth Sochieata | Publication date 11 January 2021 | 21:39 ICT
Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Nikko ran 100km from Prey Veng to Kandal province for five days with Sai to raise funds for The Rabbit School. Photo supplied

The “Run with Sai” campaign started in October last year at the Royal University of Phnom Penh (RUPP).

Then, after racing around the country for charity for over three months, Sai crossed the finish line on January 10 – arriving at the place where it had all started 97 days prior.

Uon Pakthom (aka Sai) is a Cambodian singer and entertainer whose dedication to charity has been an inspiration to many.

One of the people inspired by Sai is Chy Nikko, a 15-year-old girl who says she was motivated to follow Sai’s positive example and try to “Run with Sai” herself to raise funds for The Rabbit School.

Her run for charity lasted from January 3-7, with four days of running and a one day break.

Nikko’s run started as Sai’s was nearing its end after more than 90 days.

Although she didn’t match Sai’s 99-day total, she showed remarkable endurance by running from Prey Veng to Kandal province with him, a distance of 100km.

Nikko is a Grade 10 student at Northbridge International School Cambodia (NISC). The school requires each student to work on a project that they are passionate about and which aids the community.

After Nikko and her father met Sai by chance at an athletic-wear store while he was shopping for running shoes, Nikko suddenly realised what her school project should be.

“The day we met Bong Sai, it was one week before he started his run around Cambodia for the Angkor Hospital for Children,” Nikko said, using the Khmer kinship term “bong” for addressing someone who is typically (up to two decades) older.

“My dad introduced me to him and explained his campaign and goals. I thought maybe I could run with him one day.

“It wasn’t until later on that the idea became serious. After following his run on social media for several weeks, I was very inspired by it all.

“I decided to call him and propose this project of fundraising for The Rabbit School. Within the week, we’d worked out an agreement to run together,” Nikko explained.

The Rabbit School is a Cambodian NGO that was established in May 1997 to provide education for children with special needs.

Nikko first visited The Rabbit School with her parents when she was 7 or 8, and the experience stuck with her and motivated her to want to help the children there who were less fortunate than herself.

Hun Touch, the director of The Rabbit School, told Nikko that many parents in Cambodia are ashamed of having a child with autism and that in the past, many people with autism or intellectual disabilities had been treated inhumanely by society, which only made their conditions worse.

“I believe what could help them thrive and integrate into society is giving them a supportive environment to grow instead of a negative one where they are bullied and looked down upon,” she says.

Nikko also recruited her good friend Lim Dalen to run with her. Soon, more people wanted to join her, and she had a total of six additional friends running alongside her and Sai most days, as well as one of her teachers from NISC.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/lifestyle ... ol-project
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Heads up: Sai will be back on the road in October 2022 to raise funds for the Angkor Hospital for Children ...

Sai planning charity run for Angkor children’s hospital
Lay Samean | Publication date 28 August 2022 | 20:39 ICT

Uon Pakthom, a celebrity environmental activist better known as Sai, will once again organise a “Run for Charity with Sai” event with participants running from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap over nine days in October to raise funds for the Angkor Hospital for Children, which faced financial challenges during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Sai – a Cambodian performer and social media influencer who first made headlines when he launched the “Run for Charity with Sai” campaign in October 2020 to garner donations for the same hospital by running on roads throughout the country – told The Post that while the Kingdom is recovering fast from Covid-19, many large businesses including hotels in Siem Reap that used to donate to the hospital cannot afford to do so now as they have yet to recover to pre-pandemic levels.

He added that donations to the hospital have been insufficient. And after discussions with the hospital, he decided to organise the run again.

The event will see participants run a distance of about 303km over a period of nine days. He noted that the run will be similar to previous ones, covering about 40km per day, divided into two shifts. He will run around 20km each morning and do the same in the evening, staying along the way at people’s houses or pagodas.

He said no specific date has been set yet as his team is still applying for permits and deciding on the days which will attract the most participants.

He expects that this event will have about half of the participants that the last one had, as there was more time to call on people to join in the last time.

“First, I want to send a message to the public that Angkor Hospital for Children is still in need of funds for its operations, and also call attention to the fact that the hospital has a new system that allows for regular donations of $1 or $2 monthly, or $10 to $20 annually. We want to encourage the public to contribute regular donations to support the hospital’s sustainability in the future,” he said.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... s-hospital

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

October 8, 2022
Smart Axiata supports 303-kilometer ‘Run with Sai’ campaign to raise funds for Angkor Hospital for Children
“Help us support children through Run with Sai!” That is the message from the country’s leading mobile operator, Smart Axiata, as it lends its support to the “Run with Sai” campaign, which aims to raise funds for Angkor Hospital for Children.

In the latest Run with Sai campaign, artist Oun Batham, better known as Sai, will take 400,000 steps in nine days, trekking 303 kilometers from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. He is embarking on the run in celebration of his 32nd birthday and raising money for a good cause.

As part of Smart Axiata long term contribution and engagement with the wealth of communities Smart Axiata will support the charity initiative by raising awareness, donating 15,000 USD, and enabling its network users to donate via USSD code and mobile banking. A raft of Smart Axiata’s online influencers – Lin Vee, Soy Senghour, Rainnie Dara, Reachny Kim, Sopheareach Vee, Jasmine Vee, Yaro, Khmera and Kimhong – will also be running alongside Sai.

By supporting the campaign, Smart Axiata is hoping to raise awareness of social issues too.

“Beyond fundraising, this campaign amplifies the important message of the need to help our children now and in the future. According to UNICEF, in 2018, the under-5 mortality rate was 28 out of every 1,000 live births. We believe that with this support from Smart, we can contribute to reducing the mortality rate and helping children in need of healthcare,” said Smart Axiata Acting CEO Feiruz Ikhwan.

Celebrities and the public are invited to support the campaign and join Sai on the run to expand its reach, as well as to promote a healthy lifestyle and SEA Games 2023, which Cambodia will host. Smart Axiata expects hundreds of people to join the run each day, bringing some fun and excitement to the journey.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501164722/ ... -children/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Well done chaps!
Sai's Last Run Raises US$60,000 for Children's Hospital
On the advice of his doctors', this will be Sai's last long distance run for charity: "After a medical check-up, this year's 400,000-step run with Sai was the last of my long-distance runs, because even the doctors advised me to stop running more than 10 kilometers," Say wrote. " But, hopefully with this example, we will encourage other young people to continue to raise money to save the lives of Cambodian children."
Cambodia Children need YOU #RUNWITHSAI #Run for Cambodian children #Longlifesaispirit.
Please be reminded that the program Run with Say 400,000 steps was held to raise money to save the lives of children from cancer in Angkor Hospital for Children in Siem Reap, organized by Say, a famous singer from Voting in Cambodia, in collaboration with the Union of Youth Federations of Cambodia. Sai and his companions ran a distance of 303 kilometers for 9 days from October 22, 2022 to October 31, 2022, departing from the Union of Youth Federations Cambodia Headquartered in Phnom Penh towards Siem Reap along National Road 6.
The charity run raised more than 60,000 US dollars which was handed over to the Angkor Hospital for Children in Siem Reap on October 30, 2022.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Well done Sai.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

wow, such a terrific effort, well done Sai
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Yesterday:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic