Grumpy Cnts

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Grumpy Cnts

Post by atst »

Is it just me but I've noticed on a few forums people are getting a bit grumpy, its either old age which I doubt or frustrated with the world and covid, I think it's the latter,
I'm frustrated trying to find a bright side to everything where I usually could.
I haven't got a thing to complain about when I look at myself but why am I getting so grumpy, maybe because all my plans erased, trips away, holidays mongering, visiting family all screwed, yes I should be happy stuck in Cambodia with my darling easy life not a care in the world , but why still unusually grumpy.
Are others feeling the same.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Grumpy Cnts

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I reckon not getting all bitter and twisted will the biggest challenge of my final years.
- if the last few years are any guide.
:D
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Absolutely. This year has been possibly the roughest of my life, psychologically.

I'm not gonna lie, I brought a lot of it on myself, even if I learned a lot too, and hope to come out a better person. But there have been some horrible low points for me in 2020 that just brought me to places without self-esteem, as well as places that have made it difficult to see the light in others. I'm not sure which was worse: my view of other people or myself, or if it was a more overarching disappointment in the state of our species that included myself. And regarding that rather shitty self, in some ways I'm happy for the wake-up call. In others, I've just become incredibly pessimistic - and I've always been a bit of a pessimist.

The struggle to view life and society positively, was intensified when I started social distancing. It was either drink alone, and let all this shit come out, or face sobriety, and neither were appealing. But having a daughter put things into perspective, so I made the choice to spend several months off the booze as a result. I'm not an alcoholic, but I've been known to be a fairly wild binge drinker, and like a beer or 3 in the evening on week nights. I've started drinking again moderately as it is, but it doesn't feel the same, on my body or psyche, and I'm going to delve into some proper clarity again soon.

There was a while there, after I'd been completely sober 3 months or so that I felt like even my clarity of vision was getting better, like I was sensing things with a certain freshness. But that didn't change the fact that I was disappointed and disgusted with my fellow human beings, when I turned on the news, or even ventured onto the streets. And this is what scares me the most. I want to see what is good in others. I can see it in my beautiful daughter and wife, and some other people, mostly children and scientists, some artists. But in general, the era of covid seems to have highlighted the worst aspects of humanity for me, and pushed me deeper into my hole, where it seems I watch the world polarise around me while I pretend to be neutral.

I don't know if other people reading this can relate to it, or it's just some kind of self-centered rant, but if you are reading this, thanks for listening. I think it goes without saying that it would be great if we could we could all be a bit nicer to each other, no matter how stubborn or intractably disagreeable we might be.
Last edited by siliconlife on Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

ImageMe when I look at the travel restrictions

On a sad note Tardar sauce ( aka Grumpy Cat) past way last year 😭😭
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’d like to think that I’m a calmer, more considered, but not depressively introspective version of me with all this going on.

However, to think that would be a departure from reality. It does concern me that I might be more like a pressure cooker with a faulty relief valve when faced with the excessive bureaucracy that seems somewhat more pervasive than before.
I felt a fraction at the end of my patience on Saturday evening, after 3 trains and a frigging taxi for 2hours with a fucked wheel bearing, travelling for nigh on 12hours after working for 7 hours during the night. All because Air France didn’t want us as their only customers. Shits.

A sense of calm descends as I contemplate the correct length of nail to insert in the big end of an old baseball bat :evil: If it were summer, I’d snigger as ice creams fall from kiddies cones.

Grumpy...? Moi?

Ps. Great name for a cat.

This was the only relief on the TGV Thingy...some cute little thing, stroking her pussy for an hour
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Nah. I enjoy what I have. A beer or JB if I want it. Sleep if I want. Eat what I want. I cook a mean curry so have that to eat. Also have a great soup to eat.
Make the best from what you have . Doesn't need to be Covid time . Just enjoy your life be it with wife , girlfriend, daughter or a take away.
Live for today. Plan for tomorrow. Let the future take care of itself.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

siliconlife wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:32 pm I don't know if other people reading this can relate to it, or it's just some kind of self-centered rant, but if you are reading this, thanks for listening. I think it goes without saying that it would be great if we could we could all be a bit nicer to each other, no matter how stubborn or intractably disagreeable we might be.
:thumb:
blueman.cambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by blueman.cambodia »

Very True !! I am in Siem Reap now.... even bumped into that "ice hole" Aaron Eyman. ... Is true... a lot of angry people about, this covid thing has changed all of our lives.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

I may be going to hell in a bucket,
But at least I'm enjoying the ride
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Just got back from the hour drive to the EVA city office. One hour there, one hour back. Was told to verify my credit card that I used for the buying the airplane ticket for missus. EVA girl there dutifully has me fill out a form. Makes a copy, gives me the copy and tells me the verification process is now complete.

On a lark, decided to check the bank app before I getting on the freeway for the drive back.It’s a VISA debit card. Card was charged. Money shown as transferred. Now showing 2 charges from EVA, the most recent just now. Account is now almost empty. The ticket is the expensive one. Missus arrives in style.

Drove back the to EVA office. New EVA girl. Says the other girl is at lunch. New girl claims EVA never charged. Nothing in the EVA computer system. Show her the charge. She says to not worry about it. The charge should just disappear in a few days since it never happened.

She claims that that this issue has never happened before. But if it does, once it goes from ‘Pending’ to ‘Posted’ I should submit it to this magical email address.

And then EVA will try to figure out what happened.

Put me down as a grumpy now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic