Snatchers Get Mob Beating After Attack on Woman

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Snatchers Get Mob Beating After Attack on Woman

Post by Doc67 »

Another example of WillyHilly and his penchant with thread necrophilia.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:00 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:10 pm
Brody wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:23 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:01 am Thieves that are caught are usually given a slap on the wrist and then continue on their merry way to commit more crime.
Are you sure that is the case?

There are a helluva lot of Cambodians languishing in horridly overcrowded jails / pre-trial detention who might take exception to that statement.
True, thieves get long prison sentences here.
Unless they have a rich family
The rich have other ways than bag snatching to rob the poor.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:53 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:01 am Thieves that are caught are usually given a slap on the wrist and then continue on their merry way to commit more crime.

There are a helluva lot of Cambodians languishing in horridly overcrowded jails / pre-trial detention who might take exception to that statement.
I thought you lived in ratanakiri?

The rich kids there are the most prolific bag snatchers and moto hijackers in the whole province
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:47 pm

The rich kids there are the most prolific bag snatchers and moto hijackers in the whole province
The rich kids in Ratanakiri couldn't care less about a bag with some small change in it, or a moto hijack. Why worry about small money when you can grab land and earn millions? Or sell water you pump from a stream as 'clean water' for 2000r per M3. Or sell electricity you buy from Vietnam for double the price in Cambodia.

There's loads of more or less legal ways to rob the poor without any risk of coppers coming for you, or an angry mob.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:20 pm

The rich kids in Ratanakiri couldn't care less about a bag with some small change in it, or a moto hijack. Why worry about small money when you can grab land and earn millions? Or sell water you pump from a stream as 'clean water' for 2000r per M3. Or sell electricity you buy from Vietnam for double the price in Cambodia.

There's loads of more or less legal ways to rob the poor without any risk of coppers coming for you, or an angry mob.
Teenage kids of the rich were most prolific robbers of bikes in ban lung some 4 years back according to my Khmer mates there anyhow

Rob, flog to a geezer for $200 who sends it to Vietnam, go to ktv, and repeat next day

A good apprenticeship before joining mom and dad in family biz after "education" is complete
Organic Ed
Expatriate

Post by Organic Ed »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:26 pm

Teenage kids of the rich were most prolific robbers of bikes in ban lung some 4 years back according to my Khmer mates there anyhow

Rob, flog to a geezer for $200 who sends it to Vietnam, go to ktv, and repeat next day

A good apprenticeship before joining mom and dad in family biz after "education" is complete
It doesn't make much sense what you're saying.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Organic Ed wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:09 pm

It doesn't make much sense what you're saying.
Context is key
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It certainly used to be true that youth gangs were often led by sons of powerful people which gave them impunity. The gangs could also be used for nefarious political reasons, for example to attack opposition members. There's a study on it, I'll see if I can find it.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IMHO usually it's the druggies from Phum Thmey
Organic Ed
Expatriate

Post by Organic Ed »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:08 pm

IMHO usually it's the druggies from Phum Thmey
I agree with you of course there's going to be one or two who may be at it but I would be very surprised if it was the norm.
I know rich kids in Cambodia run over people and steal land or drive through Phnom Penh targeting foreigners with projectiles but petty theft would be far too embarrassing for them to be caught doing.
Land grabs yes , bag grabs no!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic