Where can I buy reasonably priced baby supplies?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Where can I buy reasonably priced baby supplies?

Post by Sheepdog »

Afternoon all.

HELP! 😂

I’m about to get dragged out shopping for baby stuff at Aeon (oh the horror!)

Any ideas where I can buy a 2nd hand baby cot or a new one that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg??

Cheers!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Where can I buy reasonably priced baby supplies?

Post by Kammekor »

Check with the mother if it's really needed first. Most Khmer mothers will let the baby sleep with them until the kot's become too small.
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Sheepdog »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:42 pm Check with the mother if it's really needed first. Most Khmer mothers will let the baby sleep with them until the kot's become too small.
It’s her who wants to buy it.. a wooden one with a mosquito net
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Sheepdog wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:46 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:42 pm Check with the mother if it's really needed first. Most Khmer mothers will let the baby sleep with them until the kot's become too small.
Don't ask her if she wants to buy something at AEON, of course she wants. Ask her if it'll be put to use, or just is another show off piece in the house.

My 2 cents.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Least grief/sweat options would be

1: Buy from home from the FB page of a retailer who will deliver

2: Sakura Japanese shops. Check their site as they have dozens of spots around PP and outskirts. Cheap secondhand nippon stuff

For the record; I spent a shedload on a new cot for my eldest and it was never used. Except as toy storage
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Sheepdog »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:52 pm
Least grief/sweat options would be

1: Buy from home from the FB page of a retailer who will deliver

2: Sakura Japanese shops. Check their site as they have dozens of spots around PP and outskirts. Cheap secondhand nippon stuff

For the record; I spent a shedload on a new cot for my eldest and it was never used. Except as toy storage
Cheers, aye I don’t fancy spending too much on it with the chance of it not being used much.

I’ve been checking out local FB groups/pages can’t really see anything but I’ll keep looking.

Any tips on other pages would be appreciated!

Looks like she has changed her mind for today anyway. Now she just wants to binge on cheese n crackers and Netflix

I can deal with that :)
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Facebook search "Baby Store Phnom Penh" and the first ten results are all shops.

Check pic, message, send cash and they deliver.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

We bought a nice cot from Aeon 2 with mozzie net. Been used every day since he was about 6 months old, he's almost 2 now. We're currently waiting to find out whether my wife's visa application gets accepted, if it does we'll be off within a few weeks and the cot will be free to anyone who can be bothered to come and get it (we live in one of the boreys near Aeon 2).

We only bought a cheap stroller because we figured it wouldn't get much use and we were right. Strollers are useless here, you just have to carry the little dude/dudette until they are old enough to walk.

We had to switch to formula when he was about 3 months old due to a serious medical condition his mother developed (if your wife/partner gets mastisis, get it seen to immediately, we waited and that resulted in serious complications...) and we found that the price for formula in Aeon was roughly the same as in the rest of the baby shops. You can save a bit of money if you buy it by the case though, and you can't do that at Aeon. Same story with diapers, the price will depend more on the brand than where you buy them.

His clothes are mostly cheap ones from the market. He grows like a magic beanstalk, there's no point in getting fancy clothes when they won't fit him after a couple of months and the ones from the market are fine.

Buy expensive, brand name bottles, the best you can find. We bought a couple of cheap ones and bits of rubber started coming off them pretty quick, it scared the shit out of me. Good ones are about $15-$20 each but well worth it for peace of mind imo. You don't want to have to worry about your kid drinking chunks of rubber.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Buy a small hammock. Will sleep better.
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Sheepdog »

Bubble T wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:18 pm We bought a nice cot from Aeon 2 with mozzie net. Been used every day since he was about 6 months old, he's almost 2 now. We're currently waiting to find out whether my wife's visa application gets accepted, if it does we'll be off within a few weeks and the cot will be free to anyone who can be bothered to come and get it (we live in one of the boreys near Aeon 2).

We only bought a cheap stroller because we figured it wouldn't get much use and we were right. Strollers are useless here, you just have to carry the little dude/dudette until they are old enough to walk.

We had to switch to formula when he was about 3 months old due to a serious medical condition his mother developed (if your wife/partner gets mastisis, get it seen to immediately, we waited and that resulted in serious complications...) and we found that the price for formula in Aeon was roughly the same as in the rest of the baby shops. You can save a bit of money if you buy it by the case though, and you can't do that at Aeon. Same story with diapers, the price will depend more on the brand than where you buy them.

His clothes are mostly cheap ones from the market. He grows like a magic beanstalk, there's no point in getting fancy clothes when they won't fit him after a couple of months and the ones from the market are fine.

Buy expensive, brand name bottles, the best you can find. We bought a couple of cheap ones and bits of rubber started coming off them pretty quick, it scared the shit out of me. Good ones are about $15-$20 each but well worth it for peace of mind imo. You don't want to have to worry about your kid drinking chunks of rubber.
Thanks, that’s some good advice which I’ll take on board! Our new arrival isn’t due until January so if that cot is available before then I’ll happily take it off your hands! Good luck with getting the visa through, Where are you heading off to if all goes well?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic