Is it right to capitlize the B in Black?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Is it right to capitlize the B in Black?

Post by phuketrichard »

AP changes writing style to capitalize ''b'' in Black
The Associated Press changed its writing style guide Friday to capitalize the “b” in the term Black when referring to people in a racial, ethnic or cultural context, weighing in on a hotly debated issue.

The change conveys "an essential and shared sense of history, identity and community among people who identify as Black, including those in the African diaspora and within Africa," John Daniszewski, AP's vice president of standards, said in a blog post Friday. “The lowercase black is a color, not a person."
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireSto ... k-71354613

For me this is just wrong>
Why should a Black person's most important characteristic be that he is black?
not that he is smart, thoughtful, kind but Black
as if his skin color defines him.

You dont see white parents telling their kids, " now go out an be white"
or a Chinese parent say, "go out and be yellow"
But go out and be get educated, be smart, successful, independent, kind

Not only that, but its the white persons saying what it means to be black..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKX1ABh ... nnel=noone

RT news thoughts on this
Top news agency the Associated Press has decided that Black should be spelt with a capital letter and white shouldn’t. This is pointless pedantry pandering to the woke left that will cause more division.
Great news! The Associated Press has worked out how to end racism at the push of a button. One of the world’s largest news agencies has decided that from now on it will capitalize the “B” in “Black people” and that will be the silver bullet to end prejudice. However, it won’t be capitalizing the “w” for “white people”, because apparently the normal rules of English grammar do not apply to institutions as prestigious as AP.

In a baffling blog highlighting the changes to its style guide on its website last month, it explained that it would “capitalize Black in a racial, ethnic or cultural sense, conveying an essential and shared sense of history, identity and community among people who identify as Black, including those in the African diaspora and within Africa.”

The post, written by AP’s Vice President for Standards, John Daniszewski, added: “The lowercase black is a color, not a person.”

That final sentence makes this month’s update from Mr Daniszewski all the more interesting, as it is titled “Why we will lowercase white”. If lowercase black is a color, not a person, then surely the same follows for “white”? Are we to understand from this that white people aren’t people? Because that could be considered pretty insulting.
But don’t worry; white people aren’t the only group AP has managed to insult with its justification of this ridiculous decision. According to AP “people who are Black have strong historical and cultural commonalities, even if they are from different parts of the world and even if they now live in different parts of the world….[whereas] White people generally do not share the same history and culture.”

I’m no woke snowflake, but that sounds a bit racist to me. There are 1.2 billion people in Africa across 54 different countries, and there are at least 2,000 different languages spoken on the continent. By any estimation that is pretty diverse. However according to AP, that amounts to a “strong cultural commonality”, justifying lumping all of them into one homogenous blob.

It seems to be implying that white history is so complex that Swedes, Brits and the French, obviously, need to be separated into distinct groups, but Nigerians, Kenyans, Ethiopians and even black Americans can all be lumped together. If that isn’t racist, I don’t know what is.
https://www.rt.com/op-ed/495430-associa ... alization/

These are the kind of things that i think about, not, "Cambodian-American Model Marie Madore Flaunts Her Booty"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Is it right to capitlize the B in Black?

Post by General Mackevili »

It's just plain moronic. I feel terrible for blacks who somehow see this as progress for their people. :facepalm:

The real kicker is that they don't do it for 'whites.' It's just my opinion, but it seems like the people who are quick to claim to care so much about equality are the same ones to treat certain people of certain colors differently.

https://apnews.com/article/7e36c00c5af0 ... 51261fff1f

The way I see it, 50 years ago or so, blacks were (rightfully) fighting against 'separate but equal,' and somehow they are now fighting very hard FOR it.

Where could they possibly be getting this sickening and harmful ideas from? (Oops, didn't want this to turn political.)
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

It is very important because Black Ladyboys Matter.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Black Lungs Matter!

i reckon
cough
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:16 pm Black Lungs Matter!

i reckon
cough
Even better!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Black is correctly capitalised in this sentence.

However, in this one, Black was incorrectly capitalised.

Sorted.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i reckon
cough
expected more from you than a crude joke
but
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i reckon
cough
expected more from you than a crude joke
but

Where could they possibly be getting this sickening and harmful ideas from? (Oops, didn't want this to turn political.)
But It is political...
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Lighten up, Rich.
or would you prefer one of my sincerest serious-minded epistles on the subject?

Even as a leftie liberal, i was actually agreeing with you - but in a light hearted way, poking a bit of fun at the self-interested ID politics which i too do not like.

ffs
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Is this really an issue to be concerned about?
The spelling in the title is an equal worry.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic