Is it right to capitlize the B in Black?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Is it right to capitlize the B in Black?

Post by Kuroneko »

The Capitalization of Black and Native American
Robert S. Wachal, University of Iowa

I am extremely surprised at the hyphenated entry African-American in the new edition of the Associated Press Stylebook and Libel Manual (1998). The term should not be hyphenated. The case for not using a hyphen was eloquently made in articles in American Speech by John Baugh (1991) and Geneva Smitherman (1991), two prominent Black linguists. Surely people's wishes as to how their own ethnic group is labeled should be the only consideration.
According to Baugh, Black is the term preferred by most Black Americans. As a proper noun, like Negro (Spanish for 'black') or African American, it should be capitalized. The claim that black is a color word requiring lowercase makes meaning the major criterion for determining upper versus lower case. However, capitalization is determined by whether a term is a proper noun or not. Surely Black is synonymous with Negro, just as White is synonymous with Caucasian. Either they are all proper nouns or none of them is. Like White, Black is not a color term. If it were, such locutions as light-skinned Black person and dark-skinned White person would make no sense. Furthermore, when black is a color term and part of a proper name, as in Black Angus, it is nonetheless capitalized. And one would not think of using the color-word argument to downcase Mr. Black or Ms. White. The failure to capitalize Black when it is synonymous with African American is a matter of unintended racism, to put the best possible face on it.
A similar case arises with the racial term Native American. The previous edition of The Chicago Manual of Style (1982) insisted not only on downcasing black on the grounds that it was a color word, but also on downcasing the first word of native American. Several stylebook editors and at least one prominent language lack the mother wit to understand that native American refers to anyone born in the United States regardless of racial stock, and that Native American refers to an American Indian wherever that person was born. Happily, this distinction is now acknowledged in the current edition of The Chicago Manual of Style (1993) and some current dictionaries.
Consider this a "call to the colors." Let us please capitalize the names of races as a matter of courtesy, logic, and accuracy.
Robert S. Wachal is professor emeritus of the Department of Linguistics at the University of Iowa. He retired in 1997 after 33 years at the university and many years on the editorial advisory board of American Speech. He received his doctorate at the University of Wisconsin-Madison under the direction of Frederic G. Cassidy.
https://muse.jhu.edu/article/2793
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:29 pm Black is correctly capitalised in this sentence.

However, in this one, Black was incorrectly capitalised.

Sorted.
This is by far the best answer. This non-issue and thread can now be closed!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Personally, I couldn't care less. As an avid consumer of news, I'll be subjected to both and my poor old eyes will be able to handle both. As well as other terms the PC brigade will no doubt continue to dream up on any given day...

On the rare occasion that I use the term to refer to people of color myself, I might just spell it in screaming all caps from now on: BLACK!
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Don't be eroding my White Privilege with commie tricks bro!
Back away from the Shift key.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

nemo wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:48 pm Is this really an issue to be concerned about?
The spelling in the title is an equal worry.
look , i know i cant speell and cant be bothered loking up the correct speeling
does someone need mention it everytime?
:plus1:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Skankykins
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Skankykins »

I see few circumstances - unless a name or place - in which black should be capitalised. Head of the FA in England recently resigned because he used the word coloured to describe non-white players. I believe he was actually talking about the need to represent minorities. End result: I'm simply confused.

Same as using north, south etc. Unless it's a recognised place. ie South East Asia it shouldn't be capitals. Pretty sure you wouldn't say South East Ireland as it's generally not a recognised area.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Skankykins wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:28 pm

Same as using north, south etc. Unless it's a recognised place. ie South East Asia it shouldn't be capitals. Pretty sure you wouldn't say South East Ireland as it's generally not a recognised area.
In Ireland, the spud munchers refer to it as "The Sunny South East"

la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

Ffs Dick. Its not like its a slow news day.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

'Funny, some of the people who are offended by some people who are offended by some words
are often the people who are offended at some different words.

(i hope that was confusing enough)
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

:newbie: Black seems to be a noun
While black just a color
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic