Alleged Barang Thief Caught on Riverside CCTV Using Stolen Credit Card at Minimarts

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Alleged Barang Thief Caught on Riverside CCTV Using Stolen Credit Card at Minimarts

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

These screenshots and video were sent to CEO in hopes that someone will recognize this guy. A longtime expat says he lost his ATM card the night before, and shortly afterwards someone attempted to use it at various minimarts around Riverside in Phnom Penh. The alleged thief randomly tried to enter the PIN, and after numerous attempts the card was closed. (10 transactions actually went through before it was blocked.)

He was able to find out from his bank where it was used, so he went to a few of them and they provided footage of the man who allegedly used his lost card.

He seems to be a foreigner and one of the women with him appears to be a pregnant Cambodian.

https://youtu.be/AGsGVwf6XZA

From the card owner:

These people stole a credit card and went on a spending binge at mini marts

I have tons of screenshots and videos from the stores

One barang guy and two khmer girls one pregnant

1. Its my card
2. It probably dropped out of the wallet in a tuk tuk driven by a khmer at around 12.15 am

By 12 44 the transactions started .. 10 in various mini marts contactless (he could not have known my Pin).. they continued to try to use the card another 20 times after the exceeded the limit of transactions

The bank alerted the next morning

No detail of the guy other than what you see in the videos

Riverside mini marts

And 172 circle k

He is a barang as the security manager for the kiwi mart recognised him

They are searching for him

Im an expat of 20+ years here btw

6 shops in all

First pic i sent is prob clearest from circle k at 172 at 2 30 am yesterday morning

He wasn't buying to resell either judging by this

Baby formula scissors and ice cream

Screenshots from the videos:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
PBabson
Tourist

Re: Alleged Barang Thief Caught on Riverside CCTV Using Stolen Credit Card at Minimarts

Post by PBabson »

They went right for the expensive ice cream, didn't they?

Does his female accomplice keep changing clothes or are those different women?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: Alleged Barang Thief Caught on Riverside CCTV Using Stolen Credit Card at Minimarts

Post by Marty »

Wotta dumbass. He'll surely be caught.
itsmebossho
Tourist
United States of America

Post by itsmebossho »

Its the same guy that has stolen from me recently, they call him Jonno, hes a Kiwi maybe passing himself as Kiwi and Australian. He's a real sneak, comes across as straight up and a good guy, always having your best interests and then when he has a tiny smidgeon of trust, you glance away or wink too long and his accomplices will steal your phone, bag, computer, cash. He coordinates with this ring of gals and they act quickly and take you down. I can find his real name with some digging. But better I can show you his house, as I did my own following more than once.

I ve observed Jonno to run these ops under this returned Khmer American named Snake real name Sokchea Chheang, early 40's gang banger from Long Beach who has completed two long visits to Prey Sar, for organizing robberies and doing them from reliable information. Also from reliable source are talk of larger crimes in the ringleader Snake's past but they are probably too far down the road now. Maybe not, I dont know the legal system here, but my very strong sources stated some pretty nasty stuff about the boss, Snake. One of Snake's victims was a close personal friend of mine and I d like to help any justice to be served upon him.

Jonno seems to come from some means too, I've checked around and the word is he gets a pretty hefty chunk of cash from his mother whenever he wants. That's the shocking thing, he gets money from his family and then steals for a living. There is nothing I can do now in my case as it' s been too long and he ll just deny it, there were no cameras when they got me.
Last edited by itsmebossho on Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

itsmebossho wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:13 pm Its the same guy that has stolen from me recently, they call him Jonno, hes a Kiwi maybe passing himself as Kiwi and Australian. He's a real sneak, comes across as straight up and a good guy, always having your best interests and then when he has a tiny smidgeon of trust, you glance away or wink too long and he'll steal your phone, bag, computer, cash - whatever. He seems to come from some means too, I've checked around and the word is he gets a pretty hefty chunk of cash from his mother whenever he wants. That's the shocking thing, he gets money from his family and then steals for a living. There is nothing I can do now in my case as it' s been too long and he ll just deny it (no CCTV in my case).

I have some other helpful info for the victim if he can PM me. I have no idea who the women are.
Sounds like a good candidate for the police to perform "the legal procedure" on. Or even better, a candidate for a serious ass kicking from one of his victims.
itsmebossho
Tourist
United States of America

Post by itsmebossho »

Yes, Marty vigilantiasm sprang to mind for me too, but the police here can handle anything inside their borders. The cops here know everything they need and can deal with these two, I'm not here to sort out stuff like this. Let justice reign through the long reach of the Khmer people and their appointed ones.

Jonno is no tough guy, but he's definitely a career thief. The boss, Snake is a really scrawny coward methy looking guy. What I can't figure about the ringleader is that no one I have ever talked said anything good about him, he seems to just get away with all these robberies and everyone hates him. Come to think of it everyone i talked to hated Jonno too.
Last edited by itsmebossho on Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PBabson
Tourist

Post by PBabson »

itsmebossho wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:52 pm The boss, Snake is a really scrawny coward methy looking guy. .
Snake is the boss of what? A ring of thieving expat methheads?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

itsmebossho wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:52 pm Yes, Marty vigilantiasm sprang to mind for me too, but the police here can handle anything inside their borders. The cops here know everything they need and can deal with these two, I'm not here to sort out stuff like this. Let justice reign through the long reach of the Khmer people and their appointed people.

Jonno is no tough guy, but he's definitely a career thief. The boss, Snake is a really scrawny coward methy looking guy. What I can't figure about the ringleader is that no one I have ever talked said anything good about him, he seems to just get away with all these robberies and everyone hates him. Come to think of it everyone i talked to hated Jonno too.
Yep I don't have the stomach or skills for fisticuffs either. If they're so well known to you, others know too, then eventually the cops will know. Sounds like they're begging to be caught. Pretty unusual isn't it? To come from a such prosperous country and then be a petty criminal in Cambodia. And they'd probably have to be punks in prison to survive. Sad.
itsmebossho
Tourist
United States of America

Post by itsmebossho »

[quote=PBabson post_id=456899 time=1605337159 user_id=20

The only thieving expat that works under Snake seems to be Jonno, but there could be others. Snake, Sokchea Chheang, ran a lot of organized burglaries here in the past and did time twice for these crimes. The police would know more about what he actually does now. Jonno barely seems to breathe without asking Snake first. Way back in the beginning of this extraordinary year I spent some time getting to know Snake when i was trying to piece together what happened to a deceased friend. I was not impressed, but then again I don't steal so I guess i would not know what to look for in a guy that commits his life to other people's things.
PBabson
Tourist

Post by PBabson »

itsmebossho wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:18 pm [quote=PBabson post_id=456899 time=1605337159 user_id=20

The only thieving expat that works under Snake seems to be Jonno, but there could be others. Snake, Sokchea Chheang, ran a lot of organized burglaries here in the past and did time twice for these crimes. The police would know more about what he actually does now. Jonno barely seems to breathe without asking Snake first. Way back in the beginning of this extraordinary year I spent some time getting to know Snake when i was trying to piece together what happened to a deceased friend. I was not impressed, but then again I don't steal so I guess i would not know what to look for in a guy that commits his life to other people's things.
Is snake an expat? why is he called snake?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic