Why are serial banned posters allowed back on the forum?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Woody
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Why are serial banned posters allowed back on the forum?

Post by Woody »

atst wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:14 pm Lucky you you meet a tv personality, have you meet Doc in person, a lovely funny guy to have a beer with
I beg to differ mate, just koking
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

What I don’t understand about Gavin Mac is that he’s a lawyer. He obviously has a very logical mind, and has an ability to unearth details and information. And as a lawyer, knows all about decorum, rules, and process.

He could have used his talents to be a great poster on CEO. Given all of us insights into the deep workings of the society around us. And made everyone’s experience the richer for it.

Yet he spends his time making socks and getting himself banned.

Why does he choose to do this?
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Are you Expolrers sok?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I’m my own sock.

Can’t decide if the glass is half full or empty sometimes.

Time to put back on the tin foil hat.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:00 am What I don’t understand about Gavin Mac is that he’s a lawyer. He obviously has a very logical mind, and has an ability to unearth details and information. And as a lawyer, knows all about decorum, rules, and process.

He could have used his talents to be a great poster on CEO. Given all of us insights into the deep workings of the society around us. And made everyone’s experience the richer for it.

Yet he spends his time making socks and getting himself banned.

Why does he choose to do this?
I considered Gav to be a valuable asset to the forum & thought it was a shame to lose him!
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:48 am There is no doubt, nor was there ever any doubt, that BigBoobsBob is/was Cam Nivag.

I knew that from his first post in the Aaron tough guy thread.
I tolerated him at the time because he posted some useful info from Aaron's past which added to the thread.
I told GM that if CN could contain himself to posting useful investigative stuff and stop trolling members and mods perhaps we could give him some levity.
Seems that I was wrong to allow that.

In future, we can have a shoot on sight policy for CN.

@Cowshed Cowboy, is this the serial troll that you meant?
Yes it was and thank you. I felt strongly about the issue because his last disruptive behaviour under whatever sock he was using at the time was an unwarranted personal attack on a long time positive contributer to the site who now appears to post less if at all possibly as a result.

I don't post immediate replies on the very odd occassion raising a concern regarding forum operation as I want to see from the replies whether I am out of touch with the general view of the forum or being unreasonable. Fair point regarding personal messaging concerning posts to mods, I will do so in future, although I very rarely feel the need.

Regarding the unsurprising attempt at deflection by Cam Nivag that myself or any other long time poster expects special treatment of our opinions by that status alone, I'm sure many of us have experienced the odd time in the cooler for an over zealous post, myself included, to render that accusation laughable. We just don't feel the need to do it time after time under numerous different identities ultimately to the detriment of the forum in general.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:45 am
Username Taken wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:48 am There is no doubt, nor was there ever any doubt, that BigBoobsBob is/was Cam Nivag.

I knew that from his first post in the Aaron tough guy thread.
I tolerated him at the time because he posted some useful info from Aaron's past which added to the thread.
I told GM that if CN could contain himself to posting useful investigative stuff and stop trolling members and mods perhaps we could give him some levity.
Seems that I was wrong to allow that.

In future, we can have a shoot on sight policy for CN.

@Cowshed Cowboy, is this the serial troll that you meant?
Yes it was and thank you. I felt strongly about the issue because his last disruptive behaviour under whatever sock he was using at the time was an unwarranted personal attack on a long time positive contributer to the site who now appears to post less if at all possibly as a result.

I don't post immediate replies on the very odd occassion raising a concern regarding forum operation as I want to see from the replies whether I am out of touch with the general view of the forum or being unreasonable. Fair point regarding personal messaging concerning posts to mods, I will do so in future, although I very rarely feel the need.

Regarding the unsurprising attempt at deflection by Cam Nivag that myself or any other long time poster expects special treatment of our opinions by that status alone, I'm sure many of us have experienced the odd time in the cooler for an over zealous post, myself included, to render that accusation laughable. We just don't feel the need to do it time after time under numerous different identities ultimately to the detriment of the forum in general.
I find it a little disappointing @UsernameTaken knows a serial troll who takes the piss out of established members regularly is back n the fold, and yet dismisses the litany of past offenses and the said piss taking of current members and the board. That is in my estimation also taking the piss, or at least pissing on the rest of us.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

If gav is attacking you,
you should feel honored he has chosen you..
Means ur "special" to him an what ur saying hits him personally :popcorn:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

la8rat wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:12 pm he does seem to have a talent for unearthing background details.
It's not a talent really.

His legal background gives him access to legal search engines like WestLaw and the like. If I gave you all accounts to search engines like that you'd all be able to look up the criminal backgrounds of anyone you'd like to and seem like some magical legal wiz.

It's not a talent.

That, coupled with his mental acuity being on the autism spectrum gives him an almost obsessive attention to detail which makes his arguments on web forums quite formidable.

So he's not so special, really. Law school taught him argumentation, research skills and attention to detail.......autism gives him a laser-like focus.

I haven't even gotten into the fact that as a signal while male.......he has been frequently visiting Cambodia since at least 2003..........for reasons........well.........I'll just let your imagination wander on that one.

Anyway, I say let him post.........as long as it is all above board and everyone is aware that it is him and then we know who we're dealing with.

It's kind of lame for mods and admin to know it is him, but allow the typical scenario play out, yet again, finally culminating in a ban, yet again.

I think part of the fun for him is seeing how long he can fly under the radar. If usernametaken is so sure, after one post, that it is gavinmac, then just make the forum aware of it. Then posters won't waste time under the mistaken assumption that they're dealing with a genuine, new poster. And posters can act accordingly, depending on their relationship with gavinmac.

I feel if that happens, gavinmac will either lose interest, or will become more of a productive poster.

Either way, CEO wins.
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

Brody wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:36 am
la8rat wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:12 pm he does seem to have a talent for unearthing background details.
It's not a talent really.

His legal background gives him access to legal search engines like WestLaw and the like. If I gave you all accounts to search engines like that you'd all be able to look up the criminal backgrounds of anyone you'd like to and seem like some magical legal wiz.

It's not a talent.

That, coupled with his mental acuity being on the autism spectrum gives him an almost obsessive attention to detail which makes his arguments on web forums quite formidable.

So he's not so special, really. Law school taught him argumentation, research skills and attention to detail.......autism gives him a laser-like focus.

I haven't even gotten into the fact that as a signal while male.......he has been frequently visiting Cambodia since at least 2003..........for reasons........well.........I'll just let your imagination wander on that one.

Anyway, I say let him post.........as long as it is all above board and everyone is aware that it is him and then we know who we're dealing with.

It's kind of lame for mods and admin to know it is him, but allow the typical scenario play out, yet again, finally culminating in a ban, yet again.

I think part of the fun for him is seeing how long he can fly under the radar. If usernametaken is so sure, after one post, that it is gavinmac, then just make the forum aware of it. Then posters won't waste time under the mistaken assumption that they're dealing with a genuine, new poster. And posters can act accordingly, depending on their relationship with gavinmac.

I feel if that happens, gavinmac will either lose interest, or will become more of a productive poster.

Either way, CEO wins.
Thanks for the insight brody I didn't know lawyers got special Internet search powers, are those same powers or privileges not regulated? Like cops shouldn't look up things for their mates ect.
I'm totally with you on keeping cam on the forum for my own entertainment, but it's not my forum and I'm not the one trying to make it commercially viable.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic