Medical Insurance

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Medical Insurance

Post by rozzieoz »

Can someone please recommend a medical insurance for expats in Cambodia.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Medical Insurance

Post by Bluenose »

I use Cigna in UK, however a company here I have been a customer of for 6 years for other things also handles expat heath insurance https://www.infinitysolutions.com/perso ... insurance/ The boss there is a really pleasant guy.
They are not the same company as Infinity Insurance.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

The brokerage AG Cambodia, based at the Himerawi building, is a very well run French firm and been around since 2006.

Your age, medical history and cover required makes recommending an individual insurance company pointless. This is one of the few times where a broker is very useful.

https://www.agcambodia.com/
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Bluenose wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:06 am The boss there is a really pleasant guy.
I usually find that people who are trying to sell you something usually are.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:35 am Your age, medical history and cover required makes recommending an individual insurance company pointless. This is one of the few times where a broker is very useful.
Even then they're not always helpful. I've tried two brokers in the last year. I got to the stage of going through the application process TWICE for different policies, only to find out:

1. Oh, I didn't know you were Australian. This policy is only for American citizens; and
2. Oh, this policy is only available to under 50yos.

So a complete waste of time, let alone handing over all my personal info to two companies for no reason. I remain uninsured.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
pauloxleyisland
Expatriate
Australia

Post by pauloxleyisland »

I know this isn’t what the OP asked but it is topic related. I’d like to share what my theory is and so far what works for me. Being a 60 yo Aussie I could not believe the the massive amount they wanted to insure me, it almost put my retirement plans out of the question. So I thought it out
1: Insurance Premiums are expensive
2: Health services in Cambodia are basic at best
3: Health services in Cambodia are cheap
So my theory is I’m not wanting to get treatment in Cambodia for anything other then an emergency, anything else I’ll fly back to Australia for free treatment. In case of emergency you will need the Khmer health system to save your life and get you stable enough to fly out. Your going to fly out anyway. So as my backstop, I have a Visa credit card with a large limit on it. I don’t use the card , I only have it for emergency use when I’m in Cambodia. That way I have access to the Emergency services but pay no insurance premiums. So far it works for me.
I know the big words make your cock feel bigger, but I’m just an old truck driver keep it simple aye! 8)
covidsux
Expatriate
Bahamas

Post by covidsux »

xandreu wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:36 am
Bluenose wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:06 am The boss there is a really pleasant guy.
I usually find that people who are trying to sell you something usually are.
PM me for price.
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

I use AXA Global Health Care. Tailored to my individual needs. It also covers my Cambodian wife as a dependent and is good world-wide. If you don't need U. S. and Canada coverage it is quite reasonable. Before I bought their insurance I searched far and wide and couldn't find anything more competitive. Their agent for Cambodia is located in Hong Kong. They are online.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

pauloxleyisland wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:57 am I know this isn’t what the OP asked but it is topic related. I’d like to share what my theory is and so far what works for me. Being a 60 yo Aussie I could not believe the the massive amount they wanted to insure me, it almost put my retirement plans out of the question. So I thought it out
1: Insurance Premiums are expensive
2: Health services in Cambodia are basic at best
3: Health services in Cambodia are cheap
So my theory is I’m not wanting to get treatment in Cambodia for anything other then an emergency, anything else I’ll fly back to Australia for free treatment. In case of emergency you will need the Khmer health system to save your life and get you stable enough to fly out. Your going to fly out anyway. So as my backstop, I have a Visa credit card with a large limit on it. I don’t use the card , I only have it for emergency use when I’m in Cambodia. That way I have access to the Emergency services but pay no insurance premiums. So far it works for me.
Be careful about non-use of a credit card. I had one cancelled for that reason. Citibank.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic