Medical Insurance

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Medical Insurance

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:08 pm
Doc67 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:35 am The brokerage AG Cambodia, based at the Himawari building, is a very well run French firm and been around since 2006.

Your age, medical history and cover required makes recommending an individual insurance company pointless. This is one of the few times where a broker is very useful.

https://www.agcambodia.com/
Yeah, I second the above after Doc recommended them.

I've spent the last month researching expat insurance and finding something that met my needs. I'm over 60 and the premiums can be a killer however given I'm reasonably well off financially, really what I wanted was emergency hospital insurance only in what I call a 'disaster' situation. To keep the costs down, this meant in my case: in patient only, basic plan, Asia zone (incl Australia) and $5k deductible.

In the end I went with April International.
Seems like a good strategy. Has anyone actually ever tried to make a claim with April International and how did it go?
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

By the way, I am still looking for a recommendation if anyone knows a low cost insurance plan for a Cambodian.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:01 pm By the way, I am still looking for a recommendation if anyone knows a low cost insurance plan for a Cambodian.
It's obvious, better to have then not have. I wish I had it for my partner, but it's mostly too late for people, has they become sick and then insurance would not mainly be available.
If you have a Khmer partner and family l would recommend you get insurance cover for them at the earliest point.
My last bill for my partner for the week in ICU department, government hospital cost myself a mere $2,000.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Rtrac
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Rtrac »

Dear ***,

Thank you for giving to AG Cambodia, the opportunity to quote for your partner and yourself.

AG Insurance Broker is specialized in health insurance and we provide precious local assistance for: emergencies, hospitalization direct payment, evacuations, claim follow up and policy management. Our solutions are guaranteed renewal and provide direct settlement of hospital charge.

Concerning your international health insurance cover request I am pleased to transmit you the comparative quotation (including Covid) as following:

The premium for 38 years old

A+ Easy Care

ACS Cambodia

Luma

Hospitalization and Medical evacuation

Plan 2: $820 / year

Bronze: $1,393 / year

Plan 1: $1,377 / year

Hospitalization, Outpatient and Medical evacuation

Plan 4: $1,452 / year

Gold: $2,586 / year

Plan 2: $2,633 / year

Hospitalization, Outpatient, Maternity and Medical evacuation

N/A

Platinum: $3,042 / year

Plan 4: $4,482 / year

The premium for 50 years old

ACS Cambodia

Luma

Hospitalization and Medical evacuation

Bronze: $1,676 / year

Plan 1: $2,491 / year

Hospitalization, Outpatient and Medical evacuation

Gold: $3,157 / year

Plan 2: $4,762 / year

Easy Care by A+ International

Easy Care plan is covered by AXA France and offers one of the best rates in the market. The plan is community rated and guaranteed renewal until 70. Hospitalization is covered in full with private room covered up to 150$ per day ( 100$ per day – plan 1 and 3). Under zone 3 Elective Treatment is covered in Southeast Asia (excluding Singapore) and coverage is extended to worldwide for emergency treatment excluding USA, Canada during trips up to 90 days per year. Easy Care coverage zone is flexible as you may change your zone of residence and maintain your coverage.

Easy Care Plan 2 – Zone 3 – annual limit 400.000$ : hospitalization and medical evacuation coverage with private room up to $150 per night.
Easy Care Plan 4 – Zone 3 – annual limit 400.000$ : coverage with private room up to $150 per night. Outpatient cares up to $4,000 with $10 co-payment per visit.

ACS Cambodia

ACS is covered with MGEN and provides high end benefits with private room, cancer and chronic illness covered in full. The plan is guaranteed up to 75 years. ACS is designed especially for Southeast Asia residents, this plan covers in SEA and Europe for elective treatment and worldwide for emergency treatment during trips up to 7 weeks. With their regional office in Bangkok, ACS ensures fast and efficient assistance for claims and hospital care. Medical evacuation is included in each plan. The hospitalization benefits include outpatient care 30 days before and 90 days following hospitalization.

Bronze 500: essential cover for Hospitalization (limit up to 500,000$ per year and per person). Private room covers in full. Medical evacuation is included.
Gold 500: comprehensive outpatient treatment is covered up to $6000 per year and you can enjoy ACS cashless network to receive treatment without advancing the costs. Gold plan includes an annual check up and covers medical auxiliaries such as Chiropractor or Acupuncture.
Platinum 500: comprehensive outpatient treatment is covered up to $6000 per year and you can enjoy ACS cashless network to receive treatment without advancing the costs. Gold plan includes an annual check up and covers medical auxiliaries such as Chiropractor or Acupuncture. Maternity has a 10 months waiting period and is covered up to $4000 for natural birth, unforeseen C section or maternity complications are covered in full up to hospitalization annual limit, the Platinum plan includes Optical and Dental treatment coverage.

LUMA – Asia Care Plus solution

LUMA is covered with the leading insurer AXA France and offers competitive rates. This plan covers hospitalization in full with private room covered up to $170 per day and provides direct settlement of hospitalization worldwide. Pre and Post hospitalization outpatient treatment are covered up to $2,000. The high-end benefits cover up to $1,000,000 per year and the policy is guaranteed renewal lifetime. With their local team in Phnom Penh, Luma provides outstanding assistance services.

Plan 1 (IP1): essential cover for Hospitalization up to $1,000,000 and medical evacuation assistance.
Plan 2 (IP1): outpatient treatment is covered in full with annual limit of $6000. Luma provides a cashless network that is practical to receive outpatient care without advancing the payment. Plan 2 includes an annual checkup up to $200 and covers medical auxiliaries such as Chiropractor or Acupuncture.
Plan 4 (IP2): outpatient treatment is covered in full with annual limit of $6000. Luma provides a cashless network that is practical to receive outpatient care without advancing the payment. Plan 2 includes an annual checkup up to $200 and covers medical auxiliaries such as Chiropractor or Acupuncture. Maternity and complications is covered up to $4000.

You will find in attachment the benefit detail of A+ Easy Care, ACS Cambodia and Luma.

Looking forward to hear from you soon, we remain at your disposal should you have any question.

Best regards,

Sokchan NHOEB

AG Insurance Broker (Cambodia) Co., Ltd.

Ministry of Economy and Finance Broker License No: 279
Himawary Hotel & Residences -Ground Floor-Office No.1.
313 Sisowath Quay, Phnom Penh CAMBODIA.
Office: +855 (0)23 998 018

Mobile: 096 286 2926
E-mail: [email protected]
Webpage: www.agcambodia.com

Sent: Friday, April 8, 2022 8:24 AM
To: Sokchan Nhoeb - AG CAMBODIA <[email protected]>
Subject: FW: Long Term Insurance : new request for ****
Rtrac
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Rtrac »

I asked for a quote for myself : 50 yo and my wife 38 yo.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:59 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:01 pm By the way, I am still looking for a recommendation if anyone knows a low cost insurance plan for a Cambodian.
It's obvious, better to have then not have. I wish I had it for my partner, but it's mostly too late for people, has they become sick and then insurance would not mainly be available.
If you have a Khmer partner and family l would recommend you get insurance cover for them at the earliest point.
My last bill for my partner for the week in ICU department, government hospital cost myself a mere $2,000.
Yeah, I am thinking about a family member who is getting older. If they can have health insurance it will help protect against the shock of a sudden high cost health incident.

What I observed here, and probably many others have seen this, is when a family member has a health issue and then everyone drains their savings or other assets to help them. Or even worse, they feel kind of a dilemma on how much healthcare to provide their relative vs. saving their money or assets. And of course this creates emotional tension or conflict between family members.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:47 am
Yeah, I am thinking about a family member who is getting older. If they can have health insurance it will help protect against the shock of a sudden high cost health incident.

What I observed here, and probably many others have seen this, is when a family member has a health issue and then everyone drains their savings or other assets to help them. Or even worse, they feel kind of a dilemma on how much healthcare to provide their relative vs. saving their money or assets. And of course this creates emotional tension or conflict between family members.
I have mixed feelings and views about the situation of any health care, and unfortunately of those caring family members.
I know that it's a strange statement I have quoted, but also the same has everywhere most families look out for each other. But I have also witnessed that depends on how bad the illness, if it's a life threatening situation, the family will probably have the aptitude of "oh well" and nothing to do, the "so what".
Most will not understand what the illness is, and many others will not believe in any type of western care, thinking that even the local country witch doctor has more power and knowledge than a first class trained doctor of the west.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:47 am

Most policies for people above 50 will have options for high levels of deductible, e.g. the first $5000 of medical expenses are not covered. This makes the policy more of a catastrophe cover, as opposed then the type where you can claim for getting a cardiologist examination just because you has a high blood pressure reading when you saw your doctor.

The premiums for high deductible policies are significantly lower than mainstream policies.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I look at it the "economics" way: insurances want to make money, they have big buildings full of people around the world, in the west probably all driving companys cars, and a CEO who earn millions. They split all the costs they have in the number of clients, and lets say 20% in top of it, and then they calculate whats your specific risk if you are older. And thats what you pay: Mathematically (i know its a small gamble) you have more than 50% chance to spend lot less money of you pay it yourself. I compare it with a maintenance-contract on a car or a truck: you pay x-years for something probably comes if you are old, and ofcourse you pay also for the bad drivers (people with bad health in this case). The main issue often are people who cant manage money, they take it before you can spend it, and when older, and sick they give it bit by bit back, and ofcourse hope you die early, but nobody tells you that !! What about COVID: nobody speaks about the money they win after somebody dies: case closed !! Isnt it ??
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

AndyKK spent $2000 for a week in ICU that's not even half a years premiums combined for the both of them if buying heath insurance plus what about the excess you may need to pay, then there's the gamble the insurers may not even pay out.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic