British Teacher, BARRY WILLIAM MOSS, Found Dead of Heart attack in Phnom Penh House

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: British Teacher, BARRY WILLIAM MOSS, Found Dead of Heart attack in Phnom Penh House

Post by LIVIDZX »

No picture? (of him generally) - name rings a bell.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: British Teacher, BARRY WILLIAM MOSS, Found Dead of Heart attack in Phnom Penh House

Post by John Bingham »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:36 am
lagrange wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:25 am It is estimated that there are around 100,000 expats living as residents in Cambodia.
There are far less than there were a year ago. As an example one western embassy (which shall remain nameless) which tracks its citizens had 10,000 registered a year ago, now it has around 1,000.
Would that mainly be teachers scraping by on $1,000 a month with no savings back up when schools shut down? Has the vast self serving and unproductive NGO industry that supports Cambodia's economy also been affected.
Some might have been teachers, others might have been working for private companies or NGOs that decided to pull out their staff because of insurance risks, then there are all the bars/ restaurants etc that serve them. NGOS aren't actually such a big element here anymore, the country got rated from low-income to middle-income or something like that a few years ago so it's not feasible for that many to continue their mission here anymore. Anyway, I wasn't talking about any particular sector, just the 90% drop in registered nationals from one particular country. There are very few foreigners around compared to a year ago. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

LIVIDZX wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:45 am No picture? (of him generally) - name rings a bell.
Musician and teacher, who moved to Cambodia from Indonesia in 2017:
Facebook October 2018
RIP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:36 am Has the vast self serving and unproductive NGO industry that supports Cambodia's economy also been affected.
I have never directly worked for an NGO, but have seen a few close up.
Some of them do excellent work - but i do get at least part of what you are saying, Cowshed.

But there is another huge consideration these days. ie, Western engagement and relationship building.
Anything is better at this point than totally vacating the field for "someone else" to step in.

On the whole NGO engagement has been a big pos+ for Cambodia, even tho there are certainly self-interest and inefficiency issues. Big issues for some orgs, but certainly not for all.
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

You don’t see too many (quality) 12 strings in the KOW. If someone in charge of disposing his assets reads this, PM me. I’d be interested in buying it.
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Stiliko wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:32 am You don’t see too many (quality) 12 strings in the KOW. If someone in charge of disposing his assets reads this, PM me. I’d be interested in buying it.
Are you for real? How bloody callous!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:56 am
lagrange wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:25 am It is estimated that there are around 100,000 expats living as residents in Cambodia.
There are far less than there were a year ago. As an example one western embassy (which shall remain nameless) which tracks its citizens had 10,000 registered a year ago, now it has around 1,000.
Why remain nameless? Sounds interesting.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

rozzieoz wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:45 am
Stiliko wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:32 am You don’t see too many (quality) 12 strings in the KOW. If someone in charge of disposing his assets reads this, PM me. I’d be interested in buying it.
Are you for real? How bloody callous!
LOL. Well, he did phrase it nicely. What would you do? Cremate an innocent guitar? And how does he know that's a quality 12-string just from that pic? I see no brand name or any other markings that ID it as a good one. Lot's of crap is made in Asia!
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:36 am
Would that mainly be teachers scraping by on $1,000 a month with no savings back up when schools shut down? Has the vast self serving and unproductive NGO industry that supports Cambodia's economy also been affected.
It's also people who work online in legitimate jobs for foreign companies. At a time when other countries are building out infrastructure and new laws to enable such people to live there, Cambodia is making it harder and harder for them to stay.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Bubble T wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:41 am
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:36 am
It's also people who work online in legitimate jobs for foreign companies. At a time when other countries are building out infrastructure and new laws to enable such people to live there, Cambodia is making it harder and harder for them to stay.
Interesting, must admit I have zero knowledge of the rules and regs for online workers, tax wise, work permits etc. Just found the figure quoted quite staggering given it is from one Western country, presumably reflected also in the other big ones. US, Australia, UK?
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic