It’s a sad sad sight

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: It’s a sad sad sight

Post by John Bingham »

atst wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:44 pm
What's the big deal seriously, well the world is walking around wearing mask for fear of catching or spreading a fucking virus that came from China.
It's a sad sad sight looking at the people on the streets wearing masks, if you're not upset about it pity you. I haven't got the answer to all this, it is what it is, fucking sad.
That's interesting, because as we all know the Black Death also spread from China a few centuries ago. Back then it was known as "the Yellow Peril" and the only defense against it was masks. The practice of collecting dead corpses in carts as illustrated below eventually became known in common speech as a "Chinese Take-away". 8-)

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I'm with the "if everyone wears a mask, then wear a mask" team. I see it as a friendly gesture to indicate that I'm respecting other people's fears about catching covid. If I go into a little shop with not much distancing possible, then I put my mask on.

Wearing a mask and social distancing has a huge impact on human relations. I don't like it, but I'd like it even less if I was responsible for making people sick (or even afraid.)
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

atst wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:44 pm
Alex wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:56 pm
nemo wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:57 pm Selfish and stupid describes the anti mask crowd who still try to politicize it as if a 2nd amendment issue.
At least the Darwin principle will thin them, unfortunately taking a lot of grannies along for the ride.
Well said. I really don't get it, wearing a mask was a minor inconvenience and something to be mindful of during the first week or so, then it just became routine, nothing I even think about anymore. What's the big deal, seriously!
What's the big deal seriously, well the world is walking around wearing mask for fear of catching or spreading a fucking virus that came from china.
It's a sad sad sight looking at the people on the streets wearing masks, if you're not upset about it pity you. I haven't got the answer to all this, it is what it is, fucking sad.
The world isn't wearing a mask, some people are. Does it matter if it came from China? Only if you feel the need to blame. We all have to live with it. So, let's do so, bitching about wearing a mask is basically inconceivable to me (and I know how Wallace Shawn feels about "inconceivable").
Is it sad? No, it's fucking tragic.
Quoting "it is what it is" from a guy who wouldn't know science if it sat on his face, and is responsible for the largest number of covid deaths in the world is beyond reprehensible.
up to you...
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:40 pm That's interesting, because as we all know the Black Death also spread from China a few centuries ago. Back then it was known as "the Yellow Peril" and the only defense against it was masks. The practice of collecting dead corpses in carts as illustrated below eventually became known in common speech as a "Chinese Take-away". 8-)

lol
surprise, surpise!
Our phylogenetic analysis suggests that Y. pestis evolved in or near China

monstra mihi bona!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Why did you think that would be a surprise to me? :?
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:28 pm Why did you think that would be a surprise to me? :?
not at all
i thought your post was sarcastic, and funny
but when i checked, i was surprised to find it wasn't sarcasm; you were right
as always

monstra mihi bona!
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

whatwat wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:56 pm Fucking, falling off a cliff.
Hmm. Interesting.
He does call it a fucking virus, so maybe he meant he wants to die falling off a fucking cliff?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I don't like wearing them but i do when in close contact, especially in enclosed spaces.
Community transmission and active cases are close to zero here at the moment, but wearing masks in those situations ^^ is a really useful part of the package of keeping it that way.

(- according to those who know more than me.
and they have proved to be right about most things Covid so far.)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

if you get the dark colored masks and wear them with shades and even a hat depending on the weather they look pretty bad-ass. So whoever was worrying about that earlier chill out. At least you'll avoid skin cancer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic