It’s a sad sad sight

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: It’s a sad sad sight

Post by canucklhead »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:41 pm You’re not alone in feeling the absurdity of it all.

I’m in France at present, and the paranoia is rife. Measures are one thing, but some of this?

I’m in a hotel in Marseille. There are only aircrew here; Ethiopian, some DHL, and us. I think less than a dozen, all in. Yesterday was a wonderful, calm, sunny day. Edging into the twenties, Celsius. The hotel is deserted, and regulations say we are confined to our rooms, except to go to work, come back from work, to visit reception to order food, or to venture out within 1km, for exercise, alone. Enforceable by police presence.
You mean you are locked in a hotel full of Ethiopian stewardesses? Damn!! :thumb:
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

atst wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:07 am But got some keyboard warriors going.
Don’t be proud of trolling. Grow up.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Selfish and stupid describes the anti mask crowd who still try to politicize it as if a 2nd amendment issue.
At least the Darwin principle will thin them, unfortunately taking a lot of grannies along for the ride.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

nemo wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:57 pm Selfish and stupid describes the anti mask crowd who still try to politicize it as if a 2nd amendment issue.
At least the Darwin principle will thin them, unfortunately taking a lot of grannies along for the ride.
Well said. I really don't get it, wearing a mask was a minor inconvenience and something to be mindful of during the first week or so, then it just became routine, nothing I even think about anymore. What's the big deal, seriously!
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Alex wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:56 pm
nemo wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:57 pm Selfish and stupid describes the anti mask crowd who still try to politicize it as if a 2nd amendment issue.
Well said. I really don't get it, wearing a mask was a minor inconvenience and something to be mindful of during the first week or so, then it just became routine, nothing I even think about anymore. What's the big deal, seriously!
What's the big deal seriously, well the world is walking around wearing mask for fear of catching or spreading a fucking virus that came from china.
It's a sad sad sight looking at the people on the streets wearing masks, if you're not upset about it pity you. I haven't got the answer to all this, it is what it is, fucking sad.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Both of you well said with common sense and meaningfulness, protection of one's self will aid the protection of others. Let's face it, we have to have some kind of rules or guidelines in place to follow, if not questionable try your own common senses with knowing that we are dealing with that of an airborne virus, transmitted in droplets of saliva from one person to another, block or restrict this obviously helps with the prevention aid of transaction from one to another. Selfishness, or personal theory even political correctness (meaning what is asked of you, naturally some will oppose) at this stage should not be considered. Example; being the results of a bad deciding factor made recently here by the premier, seeing him in self isolation. Even so this is not unusual by looking at some of the world's other country leaders.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:44 pm
What's the big deal seriously, well the world is walking around wearing mask for fear of catching or spreading a fucking virus that came from china.
It's a sad sad sight looking at the people on the streets wearing masks, if you're not upset about it pity you. I haven't got the answer to all this, it is what it is, fucking sad.
It is a sad time in that of our world, more so for the ones who are sick with the virus or the family and friends who may have lost someone due to the illness. It makes you think what the whole outcome will be, will they develop a vaccine? I would like to think in time the answer will be yes. Think that this is not a first! Over past years have been many new illnesses, such likes of Bubonic Plague and Tuberculosis, cure or preventions have been found.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

OP, is this the first time that you've worn a mask?

Having lived in Asia for many years, I've grown accustomed to wearing a mask for several reasons:

- I wear a mask when riding my dirt bike, to keep the dust out of my mouth
- I wear a mask when in close contact with others, to avoid catching whatever nasty germs they are hacking up..
- Likewise, if I have a cold etc, I'm considerate enough to wear a mask for the benefit of others
- In the burning season, I wear a mask when my AQI meter indicates that there is a high number of smoke particles in the air

When I taught in Myanmar, all kids would automatically wear a mask if they had a cold, to minimise the risk of spreading their germs.

Frankly, I find it weird as hell that many 'westerners' are so against wearing a mask. It's either because of selfishness, ignorance or stupidity!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

simon43 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:59 pm OP, is this the first time that you've worn a mask?

Having lived in Asia for many years, I've grown accustomed to wearing a mask for several reasons:

- I wear a mask when riding my dirt bike, to keep the dust out of my mouth
- I wear a mask when in close contact with others, to avoid catching whatever nasty germs they are hacking up..
- Likewise, if I have a cold etc, I'm considerate enough to wear a mask for the benefit of others
- In the burning season, I wear a mask when my AQI meter indicates that there is a high number of smoke particles in the air

When I taught in Myanmar, all kids would automatically wear a mask if they had a cold, to minimise the risk of spreading their germs.

Frankly, I find it weird as hell that many 'westerners' are so against wearing a mask. It's either because of selfishness, ignorance or stupidity!
Thats ur take, which is totally opposite mine.
I have never worn a mask pre covid an been here decades
Never wore one riding a Bicycle or Motorbike and i have been thru some real dusty, shitty places
Never worn one around people. IN fact when i see someone wearing one. ( pre covid) i think, hmm maybe he/she is sick and I avoid them as much as i can.
If i am sick, i stay HOME< i dont go out to spread whatever i have and ur crazy if you think that wearing one when ur sick protects others,
Its more than just wearing a mask

As to wearing one all the time, I wear glasses so if i cover my nose and mouth,,, they fog up Plus I have had Phenomena and lost 20% of my lung capacity, what that means if i ride my bicycle with a mask, I can't fucking breathe.
Wear a mask in my car with the windows up and air con on, Wear a mask at the beach, Wear a mask on the bicycle/motorcycle ...Yea right.....
Sure in a crowd ( which i avoid as much as i can) I will wear one, not so much cause i think it is going to save me or someone else ( i dont have it) but because its what is expected of me
It has nothing to do with selfishness, ignorance or stupidity!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

cambo swa wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:47 pm
Clemen wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:41 pm
atst wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:48 pm It's just weird and unmanly having to go out with a mask on, maybe I'm getting old but it just doesn't seem right.
:beer:
I want to die fucking, falling off a cliff , driving to fast, in a plane crash going on holiday, not catching some virus at the shop.
Let me choose the risk
And how do you feel about killing someone if you have no symptoms and spread it to someone else?
Does that make you “manly”?
Amen. Most Eastern cultures (countries) wear a mask even when they think they may just have a cold as not to infect other people. Their culture is one of society comes first over individualism (feeling manly). In other countries it is more important that no one tells you what do to because the individual is more important than society (manly). As stated previously, the mask is to protect others especially if you are asymptomatic. So Mr. Manly Man whenever you are going to fall of that cliff let me know so I can watch but wear your mask (I don't want to see you fucking so let's do the cliff).
absolutely right! Amen
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic