It’s a sad sad sight

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: It’s a sad sad sight

Post by atst »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:41 pm You’re not alone in feeling the absurdity of it all.

I’m in France at present, and the paranoia is rife. Measures are one thing, but some of this?

I’m in a hotel in Marseille. There are only aircrew here; Ethiopian, some DHL, and us. I think less than a dozen, all in. Yesterday was a wonderful, calm, sunny day. Edging into the twenties, Celsius. The hotel is deserted, and regulations say we are confined to our rooms, except to go to work, come back from work, to visit reception to order food, or to venture out within 1km, for exercise, alone. Enforceable by police presence.
Your situation remind me a bit with the Egyptian uprising except we could travel at our own risk and not some unseen virus going to get ya, just a bomb, Iwas in egypt with family in 2012 it was very quiet no tourist, great actually
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:16 pm mask aren't to protect the wearer
but to stop them spreading it if they happen to be infected

consequently, wearing a mask says 'i am being careful not to spread it, if i happen to have it'
and not wearing a mask says 'idgaf, suck my virus'
So what does wearing a mask while driving alone in one's car say? I've been trying to figure this bit out for months. :please:
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

atst wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:48 pm It's just weird and unmanly having to go out with a mask on, maybe I'm getting old but it just doesn't seem right.
:beer:
I want to die fucking, falling off a cliff , driving to fast, in a plane crash going on holiday, not catching some virus at the shop.
Let me choose the risk
And how do you feel about killing someone if you have no symptoms and spread it to someone else?
Does that make you “manly”?
up to you...
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Clemen wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:41 pm
atst wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:48 pm It's just weird and unmanly having to go out with a mask on, maybe I'm getting old but it just doesn't seem right.
I want to die fucking, falling off a cliff , driving to fast, in a plane crash going on holiday, not catching some virus at the shop.
Let me choose the risk
And how do you feel about killing someone if you have no symptoms and spread it to someone else?
Does that make you “manly”?
Amen. Most Eastern cultures (countries) wear a mask even when they think they may just have a cold as not to infect other people. Their culture is one of society comes first over individualism (feeling manly). In other countries it is more important that no one tells you what do to because the individual is more important than society (manly). As stated previously, the mask is to protect others especially if you are asymptomatic. So Mr. Manly Man whenever you are going to fall of that cliff let me know so I can watch but wear your mask (I don't want to see you fucking so let's do the cliff).
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

atst wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:48 pm It's just weird and unmanly having to go out with a mask on
What an odd view of masculinity.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Let me choose the risk
Perfect solution for you, and you'll probably feel more manly:

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:34 am
Let me choose the risk
Perfect solution for you, and you'll probably feel more manly:

Is that dude smokin a doob ?
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
BigBoobsBob
Expatriate

Post by BigBoobsBob »

techietraveller84 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:23 pm

So what does wearing a mask while driving alone in one's car say? I've been trying to figure this bit out for months. :please:
I'm in the USA.

I don't mock those who wear masks alone in the car, I have done it myself.

Mainly from forgetting to remove mask after leaving a store.

Or not wanting to take it off because then I'll park at the next place and leave my car and walk all the way up to the door and realize my mask is in the car and have to walk all the way back. It's just easier to leave it on.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

nerdlinger wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:51 am
atst wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:48 pm It's just weird and unmanly having to go out with a mask on
What an odd view of masculinity.
Well maybe I should have used another word to describe the feeling of being defeated having to go out wearing a mask.
I'd say people aren't wearing makes to protect others it's more to protect themselves, me included
But got some keyboard warriors going.
It's still a sad sad situation the world has become.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I am all for wearing masks as I strongly believe that it works in containing the spread. Whilst hardly anyone wears masks here in VN anymore, literally everyone wore one when it was mandatory (and enforced). Last community transmission was in August and life is pretty much back to normal now (well, not so much for tourism-related businesses); wearing a mask for a few weeks was a small price to pay.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic