Cambodian accent?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodian accent?

Post by taabarang »

My experience has been that in general most Cambodians speak with a pronounced accent. because they were taught by other Cambodians who had an accent and so they did not emphasize speaking, but taught grammar, grammar, grammar. It's a wonder that there are Cambodians speaking English at all. By the way most English speakers, Americans in any case, do NOT care if you have an accent, as long as it doesn't interfere with the meaning. Cambodians seem to do much better with French. I have had long conversations with some and they spoke it at a native level.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Everyone in the world has an accent, even Cambodians. As others have pointed out, there are regional accents, but this is true in any country large enough to have regions. For me, I can't tell specifically where a Cambodian is from, but I can tell that I'm speaking to a Cambodian as soon as they open their mouths because the accent is distinct from neighboring countries. It sometimes comes out differently based on region, but it is always clearly Cambodian.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Is this thread about Cambodians having an accent in English, or about Cambodians having regional accents? Both are true. Cambodians definitely have an accent in English. It's just not easily recognized by many foreigners when abroad because Cambodians often aren't a well-known minority. But I can definitely recognize a Cambodian if speaking English abroad. Cambodians also have regional accents. Kampong Chnang and Kampong Thom have a huge accent. Supposedly so do the Khmer Leu in Thailand. I've noticed some Khmer Krom use words slightly differently than Cambodians here.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Is this thread about Cambodians having an accent in English, or about Cambodians having regional accents?"" It seems to be both. The confusion arises I think from the word äccent" which was incorrectly used for "tonal" I believe Starkmonster's understanding is the correct one.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Reading this thread made me remember times in Phnom Penh where I used to teach when students would ask me about their accent. It was however, pronounced action as in How is my action. I had to stifle myself to not be sarcastic in answering their question.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Oh, if we're discussing whether Cambodian learners develop an accent when speaking English then no - most of them speak clear American English. :)

It actually makes a nice change to speak with a Cambodian that doesn't sound like he's just stepped out of a Hollywood movie.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Sorry SC, they don't have an American action.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Thank everyone for all your responses and sorry for the late reply and also for the confusion. I actually meant that i wonder if Cambodian has accent when speaking English. To be honest, i felt that Thai and Vietnamese sound really similar when they speak English and many Cambodians sound so differently. Example, if i speak English, i will not sound like the guy in that video. Some Cambodians speak really well and some are really bad.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

We won't know until we hear you Samouth. I might not recognize you as a fellow American, but I am sure judging from your written English; it would be damn good.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

taabarang wrote:We won't know until we hear you Samouth. I might not recognize you as a fellow American, but I am sure judging from your written English; it would be damn good.
:oops: My speaking is not good.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic