All PP schools closed again (and Reopen)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: All PP schools closed again (and Reopen)

Post by Chuck Borris »

dpv wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:32 am Is this really true that foreigners over 50 will be banned from live teaching? I’m planning to move to Cambodia to teach as soon as they start reissuing visas and this would majorly f*ck up my plans because I turn 50 in January
ISPP students told me, that they have this policy. They will probably start with classroom lessons next week. I guess just the big international schools, in smaller int. schools is just important that you are white NES. Dont expect good salary there.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I'm amazed at some of the half-baked ideas that they come up with sometimes. I mean, for them to actually draft several pages of potential legislation without anyone going "Hey, wait a minute" is amazing. What's the purpose? Who is it meant to protect? Elderly people? Kids? What about all the civil servant teachers over 50? I suspect it's another example of someone in a higher position coming up with some random idea and everyone lower ranked either agreeing without questioning or just being told to make it happen. Unless I'm missing something important?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:33 pm I'm amazed at some of the half-baked ideas that they come up with sometimes. I mean, for them to actually draft several pages of potential legislation without anyone going "Hey, wait a minute" is amazing. What's the purpose? Who is it meant to protect? Elderly people? Kids? What about all the civil servant teachers over 50? I suspect it's another example of someone in a higher position coming up with some random idea and everyone lower ranked either agreeing without questioning or just being told to make it happen. Unless I'm missing something important?
I suspect you may be right. Presumably the logic went that over 50s are more at risk therefore let’s keep them isolated. It seems like the govt are reluctant to draw a distinction between vaccinated and unvaccinated - maybe some underlying anxiety around the notion of a “two tier” society, that’s somewhat backfired in its implementation?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): On 1 September, 2021, Mr. Khoung Sreng, the Governor of Phnom Penh urged all 14 city districts and other related organizations to begin the cleaning of the environment of school buildings, and to send the Covid-19 patients and quarantiners elsewhere, in order to get ready to reopen the schools after intense cleaning.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

The claim that teachers over 50 will be permanently banned is a supposition based on taking a statement out of context. Here's the more likely explanation.
The Ministry of Education statement quoted was made on Tuesday afternoon, after HE stated schools in rural areas with low infections should be allowed to open immediately. The Khmer Times published the full translation. It states that any schools allowed to open immediately will operate on a half classroom/half online basis. Among other conditions it stated that teachers over 50 would remain teaching online-hence the panic.
More relevant was a second statement released a few hours later and also translated in the Khmer Times. It contained provisions that would apply when govt. schools opened full time. As classes will be restricted to 15 students, it mainly dictated strategies for make teaching effective, such as academic classes only.
Near the end was a very significant order. It instructed school authorities to take "strong health measures to ensure that teachers, especially those over 50, and students should not be at risk of infection when classes resume.
You can draw your own conclusions, but it seems clear to me that teachers over 50 will be back in the classrooms when schools resume full time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic