All PP schools closed again (and Reopen)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: All PP schools closed again

Post by xandreu »

Sheepdog wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:35 pm
xandreu wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:40 pm
God'sGift wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:13 pm
Sheepdog wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:14 pm Well I’m not surprised, I heard a wee whisper of the possibility on Friday! Here’s hoping it only lasts 2 weeks, I much prefer teaching kids onsite compared to online, and of course much better for the students also. It’s looking like a crazy winter ahead for all is on the cards! Take care!
totally agreee, 'teaching' online is not real teaching. No interaction, no group dynamic etc, and incredibly boring as well.
I'd assume it isn't so bad for older students but I'd imagine little kids being a nightmare. Not for me, thanks.
You would be correct with that assumption! I teach G4 kids and getting them to complete assignments with the distractions going on at home is very difficult. Also some kids have dodgy WiFi connections or just can’t be bothered and want to play video games. I don’t really blame them, I’d probably be doing the same thing at that age in this situation!
My friend teaches 7-9yos and hates it. There are always three or four in every class who are well behaved and take it seriously. Either just because it's in their character or they have good parents who monitor and encourage them.

As for the rest however, she says she finds it extremely stressful. They'll turn up 30 minutes late and when asked why they're late they just say they were watching TV or eating. Their phones constantly ping with notifications which they spend most of the lesson engaging in. They ignore questions asked to them and refuse to do any homework or additional work outside of the class.

It's easy to blame the teacher and say that the lessons aren't engaging enough but anyone who says that frankly has never taught online. Not in Cambodia anyway.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

xandreu wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:32 pm
Sheepdog wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:35 pm
xandreu wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:40 pm
God'sGift wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:13 pm
Sheepdog wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:14 pm Well I’m not surprised, I heard a wee whisper of the possibility on Friday! Here’s hoping it only lasts 2 weeks, I much prefer teaching kids onsite compared to online, and of course much better for the students also. It’s looking like a crazy winter ahead for all is on the cards! Take care!
totally agreee, 'teaching' online is not real teaching. No interaction, no group dynamic etc, and incredibly boring as well.
I'd assume it isn't so bad for older students but I'd imagine little kids being a nightmare. Not for me, thanks.
You would be correct with that assumption! I teach G4 kids and getting them to complete assignments with the distractions going on at home is very difficult. Also some kids have dodgy WiFi connections or just can’t be bothered and want to play video games. I don’t really blame them, I’d probably be doing the same thing at that age in this situation!
My friend teaches 7-9yos and hates it. There are always three or four in every class who are well behaved and take it seriously. Either just because it's in their character or they have good parents who monitor and encourage them.

As for the rest however, she says she finds it extremely stressful. They'll turn up 30 minutes late and when asked why they're late they just say they were watching TV or eating. Their phones constantly ping with notifications which they spend most of the lesson engaging in. They ignore questions asked to them and refuse to do any homework or additional work outside of the class.

It's easy to blame the teacher and say that the lessons aren't engaging enough but anyone who says that frankly has never taught online. Not in Cambodia anyway.
Give them fun and entertaining lessons and they engage.
At 1 point i had over 30 kids online, i loved it, and from feedback they loved it, going back to class was not the same.. Its all about keeping them entertained whilst they learn, but them not realising they are learning. Keep it fun, you wont have problems online.
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

do you mean just put on a silly hat and play games?
Josideb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Josideb »

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50783788/n ... se-to-end/

Looks like schools will open up on Monday once these tests come back negative.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Josideb wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:52 am https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50783788/n ... se-to-end/

I certainly hope so, but the article doesn't say anything about a return to normalcy for schools, gyms, clubs, etc.. I am not getting my hopes up until I hear otherwise.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Felgerkarb wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:09 am
Josideb wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:52 am https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50783788/n ... se-to-end/

I certainly hope so, but the article doesn't say anything about a return to normalcy for schools, gyms, clubs, etc.. I am not getting my hopes up until I hear otherwise.
From his speech this morning announcing all tests negative...
We closed the event November 3, referred to the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, and Professional Training to reopen schools and professional training schools
And making every state of all sectors go to the same randomness as before November 3, but the fight with COVID-19 is still the priority of all of our work.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia: Govt to reopen schools on Monday (Nov 23), exams stay on schedule
Saturday, 21 Nov 2020

PHNOM PENH, Nov 21 (The Phnom Penh Post/ANN): Cambodian Minister of Education, Youth and Sport Hang Chuon Naron has announced that public and private schools would reopen from Monday (Nov 23) while the examination schedules for grades 9 and 12 would remain the same.

Naron said the ministry had made a request to Prime Minister HE to reopen the schools in Phnom Penh and Kandal province so students could resume studying in accordance with the third phase of school reopening throughout the Kingdom.

The ministry also said the National Olympic Stadium would be reopened for various sports, as long as participants followed the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) that requires social distancing as well as health and hygiene standards.

“The ministry would like to announce to students, parents, guardians and teachers that public and private schools will be reopened from November 23 onward.
https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/as ... n-schedule
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

New school year to start in January
Mom Kunthear | Publication date 23 November 2020 | 21:48 ICT
The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport has instructed all public educational establishments to carry out standard operating procedures (SOPs) to prevent Covid-19 infections when they open the new academic year on January 11.

Classrooms will open on January 12 and close in October. The year will be divided into two semesters with a short vacation from April 6-19 and a long vacation from November 1-30, according to a ministry notice last week.

Minister Hang Chuon Naron said in the announcement it was important for opening ceremony participants to respect a high standard of hygiene and social distancing.

“The opening ceremony of the new academic year will take place on January 11."
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... rt-january
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

32 seconds ago - BREAKING NEWS
Prime Minister announces schools to open January 11 as planned

Prime Minister HE has announced that the academic year will commence as planned, with schools opening on January 11.
aba

The Prime Minister said that despite the world and the Kingdom still suffering from the pandemic, the government would adhere to the scheduled opening date with the education sector providing in-school and on-line classes.

Ministry of Education spokesman Ros Soveacha, reiterated that they will go ahead with the opening of the school term as planned, telling Khmer Times that a few schools were still being used as quarantine centres at the Cambodia-Thailand borders, but that they would re-open on schedule following disinfection.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50802096/p ... s-planned/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: All PP schools closed again (and Reopen)

Post by xandreu »

Let's hope that the current outbreak in Thailand doesn't make it across the border before the vaccine becomes available.

I watched a fascinating video last night that talked about the correlation between average GDP of countries and their rates of infection. It is still an anomaly why covid appears to affect richer countries much more than it does poorer countries.

There has been a study in India which has come to two main conclusions as to why this is. Firstly it's to do with the average ages of populations in poorer countries, in that poorer countries seem to have a much lower average age. But we all knew this already.

The second, which is something I'd never considered before, is related to the levels of hygiene. It's already known that there is a much higher rate of various allergies in richer countries than there is in poorer countries, and it seems that this is also the reason why covid is less prevalent in poorer countries as well.

When people are constantly exposed to various bacteria and bugs, their immune system is always on high alert, always looking out for invaders which might cause the body harm, but people who live in more sterile environments, such as most richer countries, their immune systems are not as alert, as it's much rarer for them to come into contact with harmful bacteria.

It seems to make sense to me, and considering the levels of hygiene in Cambodia, I'd imagine the average Khmer immune system would be able to fight off covid blindfolded with it's hands tied behind its back.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic