Embassy interview is coming

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Embassy interview is coming

Post by newkidontheblock »

Apparently, at the end of the US Embassy interview, the interviewer gives the person interviewed 1 of 3 possible colored envelopes - accepted, rejected, or provide more documentation.

Missus heard back from 2 of them.

First one. She got a long, grueling question session from the interviewer. She answered every question. At the end, the Embassy employee told her ‘I don’t believe you’, and gave her a ‘rejected’ envelope. Her husband (sponsor) doesn’t have a steady job, and has multiple wives. She owns a hair salon that makes money at night, but not steady income, either.

Second one. Lady owns a company in Cambodia. Husband (sponsor) owns a company in the US. She had a pleasant 15 minute chat with the Embassy and was given an ‘accepted’ envelope at the end of the chat.

I have a feeling that the outcome has already been predetermined before the interview. And the meeting is just a formality.

Now missus and I are worried sick over the upcoming interview. Literally sick. She needed coin rubbing and then went to the clinic last night. Red stuff’s been coming out of my ear as well for the past couple of days.

She’s organized several stacks of documents to bring to the embassy, plus multiple other folders waiting at home. Reviewing every document submitted, and gathering even more.

Either the interview will be a success, or we both become nut cases.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Embassy interview is coming

Post by Alex »

"Predetermined" might be too strong a word, but if the embassy staff do their homework before the interview, they will have a pretty good idea which way it will most likely go. That sets the tone for the interview (as your examples show), and their initial bias towards rejecting an application might be very hard to overcome. Unfortunately, we don't know how those two applicants presented themselves in their interviews.

From your examples, they seem to have made the right decision in both cases.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Why would you want to go and live in that failed state anyway?
BigBoobsBob
Expatriate

Post by BigBoobsBob »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:11 am Apparently, at the end of the US Embassy interview, the interviewer gives the person interviewed 1 of 3 possible colored envelopes - accepted, rejected, or provide more documentation.

Missus heard back from 2 of them.

What do you mean she heard back from two of them? Like, she talked to two friends of hers who have been through the process?

I attended the interview with my fiancee back in August. It was fine, the interviewer had more questions for me than my fiancee. It's a shame you can't attend, I think it's harder for the American foreign service officers to look an American in the eye and say "I'm not giving her a visa" than it is to tell a Cambodian who isn't standing next to an American "Nope"

I think they're much more suspicious of Khmer-Americans marrying Cambodians, that's where a lot of the fraud is.

Whether the beneficiary has income or a steady job shouldn't matter.

Read some of these reviews of the experiences at this embassy: https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/ind ... &dfilter=5
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

My girlfriend was rejected a holiday visa to Australia 4 years ago ,on the grounds she may not return home, never tried again, a blessing in disguise I think.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by rockyboy612 »

In the land full of middle men among middle men, i wonder why they even bothered getting the license in the first place. They bulk purchase from the main big telcos anyway, they could have just named themselves as resellers.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I've known many Khmer to successfully get to the USA after going through the process with the embassy.

However, I never heard about the envelope colour code thing. It sounds unlikely to me. Probably just some Khmer whispers
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

rockyboy612 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:27 pm In the land full of middle men among middle men, i wonder why they even bothered getting the license in the first place. They bulk purchase from the main big telcos anyway, they could have just named themselves as resellers.
What, can you translate into english for us dummies please?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
BigBoobsBob
Expatriate

Post by BigBoobsBob »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:02 pm I've known many Khmer to successfully get to the USA after going through the process with the embassy.

However, I never heard about the envelope colour code thing. It sounds unlikely to me. Probably just some Khmer whispers
It's sort of true. They hand you a colored piece of paper at the end of the fiancee visa interview, not an envelope. If your visa application is approved, the colored piece of paper is a receipt/appointment saying to come back in a week to collect your passport with visa in it.

The other two options are denial or need more info which may involve different colored papers.

If your fiancee visa is approved, when you come back and collect your passport and visa in a week, you also get a big envelope. It's important that she NOT open that envelope. She has to hand it to the CBP officer when she lands at the US airport and the officer opens it.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

BigBoobsBob wrote:What do you mean she heard back from two of them? Like, she talked to two friends of hers who have been through the process?

Read some of these reviews of the experiences at this embassy: https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/ind ... &dfilter=5
She met them at the Raffles clinic getting the required physical. Also at the WING place.

At Raffles, she met quite a few on the Cambodian special.

Pay $4000, and be guided through the entire process. All paperwork handled, appointments made. Just called about when and where to show up. And coached on the interview. With a guarantee of unlimited attempts until pass.

The link is excellent.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic