City Enviroment Clean Up Project

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Joolsd
Tourist
Ireland

City Enviroment Clean Up Project

Post by Joolsd »

Hi,

I live over in Boeng Tumpun, near the polluted green river, but far away enough not to catch the smell.
I have a small project that I've penned and have, before pictures and yet to do after the clean up drawings of the project.

It's only a small project that would take maybe a month to complete. It would benefit the locals down here and would be very easy and cheap to achieve.

Who can I approach with such a proposal for a clean up city environment project in Phnom Penh?
Or just go around all the locals and get them to work. : )

I'm guessing there must be an NGO here somewhere that are and environment or eco team.

Thanks.
PP my second home for 16yrs. https://webucation.co
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: City Enviroment Clean Up Project

Post by Kammekor »

Joolsd wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:39 pm Hi,

I live over in Boeng Tumpun, near the polluted green river, but far away enough not to catch the smell.
I have a small project that I've penned and have, before pictures and yet to do after the clean up drawings of the project.

It's only a small project that would take maybe a month to complete. It would benefit the locals down here and would be very easy and cheap to achieve.

Who can I approach with such a proposal for a clean up city environment project in Phnom Penh?
Or just go around all the locals and get them to work. : )

I'm guessing there must be an NGO here somewhere that are and environment or eco team.

Thanks.
Rule one: never bypass the (local) authorities.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Did you have something like this in mind?

general-chatter/white-guy-swimming-boen ... ml#p325521
Joolsd
Tourist
Ireland

Post by Joolsd »

Haha, thanks,

The water slides would be an amusing addition. No, I did think about the local authorities and district chief (what are they called again) But I would go see them of course.

I just have a good idea and would like to try to make a small impact on the filthy, invested, green soup that I see from my window everyday. Everything begins by initially getting the ball rolling and if people see results of this super simple plan you never know.

I have been involved and proposed eco or environmental projects over the years and this comes from one I did many years ago.
It is obviously not a solution to the problem by any means, but a way to clean up just a small section and create an area for locals to maybe use and enjoy.

Anyway I'll just shut up now. Anymore amusing or helpful comments welcome.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@OP - Nothing useful to add, except good for you, go for it . Hope you find the support you need. :Bravo:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

The typical Cambodian way to get things like this officially started is to organize 'a meeting' where all the parties involved are invited. Determining the latter is a task by itself and should be done by a pro. Leaving out the people needed initially will seriously frustrate any project in the future. I don't know if you have the (informal) power and contacts to organize such a meeting, but if you don't then teaming up with a well know NGO is the way to go.
If you know the village chief(s), head /staff of the Sangkat(s) informal talks can smooth-en things up but I've not come across a lot of foreigners being able to do this.

Just walking into the village chief's house or the Sangkat and dropping the idea is a 'dead on arrival' strategy in Cambodia.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Well I must say the riveside PP this morning is amazingly clean, after the amount of people there last night, the cleaners must have been up early this morning.
Good idea and good luck, sorry no ideas where to even start.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

This was cleaned not that long ago by a group of volunteers, it was part of the world clean-up campaign, there is a person who organises such environmental events here in Cambodia, it may be worth you doing a little research or question asking of this person, (I had his number, but I seem to have misplaced) the man lives at Borey Peng Huoth.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Joolsd did you get anywhere into this type of project?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Joolsd
Tourist
Ireland

Post by Joolsd »

Hi,
Short answer is no, mainly because I've been in a red zone so only had three streets to walk up n down for the last month or so.
I did get in contact with an environmental group. Need to speak to the local Sankrat guy before anything else.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic