American STEPHEN GREATSINGER (Khmer440 Member 'BSCW') Arrested in Cambodia After US Embassy Threats

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: American STEPHEN GREATSINGER (Khmer440 Member 'BSCW') Arrested in Cambodia After US Embassy Threats

Post by newkidontheblock »

GMJS-CEO wrote:Americans living abroad would file form 2555. If they meet the residency requirements, the easiest one to meet is if they work permanently or indefinitely outside of the USA, they do not pay tax on the first $105,900.

So you would need a wage exceeding that annually to start paying taxes, those making $106K plus are perhaps bothered but not sure about "proper fucked" level.

Maximum foreign earned income exclusion. Enter $105,900
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2555.pdf
If it’s an American working for say, Saudi Aramco, it’s definitely worth it. They pay a lot more for the same job in the US. Contracts often include room and board as well. And plus, the first 100K+ no tax. Plus no income tax in Saudi.

It can be a great retirement job for Americans with the right skills.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: American STEPHEN GREATSINGER (Khmer440 Member 'BSCW') Arrested in Cambodia After US Embassy Threats

John Bingham wrote:
Greatsinger has admitted to attempting to scale the embassy fence during the incident and was threatened with being shot by an armed guard.
That's insane. There are a few embassies you could probably get away with jumping into for at least a few minutes (Cuban/ German/ Pakistani). The Chinese, French and especially US ones are not advisable! The French Embassy has probably got the nicest forested grounds in the city, they have open days. Otherwise the Legionnaires guarding it might not be much fun to encounter. As far as I know the US embassy is guarded by Marines.
Agreed. US Embassies often operate in hostile parts of the world and often are the target of protests and suicide bombers. Physical security, gates, barriers, etc., tend to be a lot more common.

Security is often handled locally, aka Khmer guards at the US embassy at the front and the outer perimeter. There are only 3-5 marines posted. Usually patrolling sensitive areas such as the ambassador’s living quarters, CIA annex, etc.

Plus there is a marine guard quick reaction force that can deploy anywhere in the world at a moment’s notice to reinforce any embassy in trouble.

Of course the force can be also told not to deploy by the Secretary of State or the President and let the ambassador get killed.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

He is obviously mentally unwell. Maybe the whole thing (constantly posting insanities on TOF, insulting and attacking the US Embassy) was a cry for help ? Any ideas on what will happen if they ship him to the US ?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

I thought PIEMAN mentioned that he also climbed the walls of the US Embassy when it was closed on the weekend.
Woody
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Woody »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:28 am I thought PIEMAN mentioned that he also climbed the walls of the US Embassy when it was closed on the weekend.
I can't imagine PIEMAN attempting to climb any fence
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:34 pm He is obviously mentally unwell. Maybe the whole thing (constantly posting insanities on TOF, insulting and attacking the US Embassy) was a cry for help ? Any ideas on what will happen if they ship him to the US ?
I'd imagine there will be a court hearing first, where his lawyer can petition the court to have the self-proclaimed weirdo's mental state examined before proceeding.

K440 obviously shouldn't have given him a platform for this nonsense, whatever may have triggered him. As he also sent incriminating emails directly to the embassy though, it's hard to tell if it made any difference to his current situation.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Clemen wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:19 pm
Wilhelm wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:46 pm Thanks for correcting the erroneous statements above regarding the taxation of US citizens' earnings abroad, by citing the actual US law (i.e., the foreign income exclusion thresholds). Gheez, watch out who you're getting your tax advice from around here.
Welcome new sock. I’ll assume that’s directed at me. I’m not a tax accountant. I have spent a fair amount of time overseas. Iirc, you are allowed less than one month in the u.s. in a calendar year before you are obliged to pay u.s. taxes( hi mom). Feel free to check it yourself. Also note that all foreign bank accounts that you are signatories to must be declared and may be taxed. Enjoy
Allowed to earn $106,000.

NOTE: ur ONLY required to file if you have a total of more than $10,000 in ALL ur overseas bank accounts
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
BigBoobsBob
Expatriate

Post by BigBoobsBob »

Woody wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:53 am I can't imagine PIEMAN attempting to climb any fence
He couldn't even climb the stairs to Sharky Bar.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Woody wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:53 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:28 am I thought PIEMAN mentioned that he also climbed the walls of the US Embassy when it was closed on the weekend.
The only exercise PIEMAN got was running off at the mouth, skipping around the truth, side stepping common sense and jumping to conclusions etc etc etc. :hattip:
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Arget wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:56 am
Woody wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:53 am
The only exercise PIEMAN got was running off at the mouth, skipping around the truth, side stepping common sense and jumping to conclusions etc etc etc. :hattip:
Saw this today
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic