Where do you live?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Where do you live?

I/we own our own house.
27%
I own a condo.
9%
The company I work for is paying.
3%
I rent a house.
24%
I rent an apartment.
30%
Guesthouse living suits me just fine.
3%
Staying with friends or family.
No votes
Homestay.
No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 33
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Where do you live?

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Have you taken the plunge to buy a house or apartment in Cambodia, or are you renting, or does the company you work for pay for accommodation? Are you living in a guesthouse? Enquiring minds and us nosy types need to know.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Re: Where do you live?

Post by Khmu Nation »

I have just bought some land.400 sq meters.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Khmu Nation wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:12 am I have just bought some land.400 sq meters.
Where about? Nice beach frontage?
pauloxleyisland
Expatriate
Australia

Post by pauloxleyisland »

Bought a house at Chroy Changva with my wife in 2017, it was one of those nothing down just start making repayment deals. It was bought of the plan and probably took 18 months to build. Very happy with the way it turned out, both names are on the title. Problem is this virus, I had planned to pull the plug in July 21 and live there permanently (or until I got sick of it) . Now I’m stuck where I am earning about 20% my usual wage. Guess I’ll just have to swing the sledgehammer a bit longer ☹️
I know the big words make your cock feel bigger, but I’m just an old truck driver keep it simple aye! 8)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

We rent an apartment, and have been buying some land near to the other half’s family.

The hope is to build a house on one of the larger plots.
Apparently, some enterprising local has seen fit to knock the fencing down, and move his cattle onto the land. I can’t wait to get back, and confiscate one or two beasts as recompense, and setup as a cattle baron.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Good old USA paying rent of $2K+ monthly which makes me sick.

I am looking at homes to buy here now, made some offers.

(I didn't vote in the poll since I am not in Cambodia)
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

rent a house where staybut have other land and property around but there wasn't an option for that :)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:32 pm We rent an apartment, and have been buying some land near to the other half’s family.

The hope is to build a house on one of the larger plots.
Apparently, some enterprising local has seen fit to knock the fencing down, and move his cattle onto the land. I can’t wait to get back, and confiscate one or two beasts as recompense, and setup as a cattle baron.
That happened to myself, also I laid off the barbed wire knowing my neighbour had cattle, he also asked me at a later date to please to not use that type. There turned out to be a little jealously on his part sometime later, being that a western person could never put a roof on a house without it leaking. The village chief told him no leaks, he drove his heard of cattle through the fencing, causing damages, fence and aquaponic pipelines. There's not a lot one can do when locals get like this, it's their country not yours.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:26 pm There's not a lot one can do when locals get like this, it's their country not yours.
The guy doesn’t even know about me yet. He’s only encountered the other half’s sister, really. What he clearly doesn’t appreciate is it’s our land, not specifically mine. Certainly not his. I gather that certain elements of Khmer male ego places women somewhat lower. A big stick can be useful in assisting cattle to relocate.
Certainly, some of the fruit trees seem to have been stripped and damaged. I’ve now to see how much of the land has been messed up. But the COVID lockout is getting in the way.

He’s welcome to clean up after the housewarming barbecue, though. There may even be some spare beef ribs...
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

At the moment residing in Europe. I would not mind a bargain priced condo unit in either PP or Snooky.
Spacious and with decent views around 50K...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic