Where do you live?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Where do you live?

I/we own our own house.
27%
I own a condo.
9%
The company I work for is paying.
3%
I rent a house.
24%
I rent an apartment.
30%
Guesthouse living suits me just fine.
3%
Staying with friends or family.
No votes
Homestay.
No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 33
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: Where do you live?

Post by Ong Tay »

"Own" a condo in Saigon...own for 50 years, haha.
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

Ong Tay wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:24 pm "Own" a condo in Saigon...own for 50 years, haha.
Yes earlier i also looked into VN real-estate but a poorly 50 years lease instead of freehold makes it nearly impossible to selling it of after 15 years usage. No other foreigner going to buy it from you with 35 years lease left.
Out of curiosity what size and what prize u paid for it?
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:17 am
Khmu Nation wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:12 am I have just bought some land.400 sq meters.
Where about? Nice beach frontage?
Laos. It was much more than I intended to spend and possibly a fraction over priced but the owner wouldn't negotiate any lower. However it's a corner plot so I can build some rooms to rent along with a three bedroom house. It's also a long term purchase. I wont be trying to sell it. I bought it for my son to inherit really. I'm happy with it anyway. Prefer the money to be in land that I can live in than sat in banks.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ur going to build a 3 bedroom house AND rooms on 400 sp m?
wow,
Is ur better half Laos?

2 months ago i brought 480 sq m with a small house in Kep> Hopeful by next March will be able to see it :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

400sqm is pretty big, depending on whether it's in a town or not. Plenty of building options for that size.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

Strawberryshake wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:04 am
Ong Tay wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:24 pm "Own" a condo in Saigon...own for 50 years, haha.
Yes earlier i also looked into VN real-estate but a poorly 50 years lease instead of freehold makes it nearly impossible to selling it of after 15 years usage. No other foreigner going to buy it from you with 35 years lease left.
Out of curiosity what size and what prize u paid for it?
I'm in D2 (big surprise, I know) in a 2BR/2BA in a high-rise built within the past five years. Since I work here, I view it solely as my residence (as opposed to an investment) and I will not be around at the end of my 50-year ownership. It will pass to my Vietnamese partner who can do with it as she pleases. :p
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

400 sq m is big enough for me anyway. It's a perfect square and also on a corner. So space to build a row of rooms, 4 or 5 at a push, that I can rent out for $100 a month, down one side facing out and a small house with its own entrance. Plus down one side is about a 20m long x 3m wide strip of land between the land and the road that no one seems to own so I will tarmac that for rooms parking. Im happy with it anyway. I don't want anything grand.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic