Australian Women Strip-Searched at Doha Airport

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Australian Women Strip-Searched at Doha Airport

Post by Yerg »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rport.html

Seems Qatar is trying to put the flames out...
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Qatar airport police officers charged over invasive searches of women

Qatari officials said the searches were conducted in order to locate the mother of a newborn child found abandoned in a garbage bin in an airport bathroom.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has said the physical examinations of passengers bound for Sydney were appalling, while rights activists say such exams conducted under duress amount to sexual assault. Qatar's Prime Minister Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz al-Thani has apologised.

Judicial police officers working in the Airport Security Department broke the law when they summoned female medical staff to conduct the searches, the public prosecutor said in a statement on Monday, local time. The police officers acted unilaterally and face "penalties of a maximum of three years," it said.

A surveillance image, obtained by Doha News, shows officials holding an allegedly abandoned baby at Hamad International Airport.

The public prosecutor said it had also charged the child's mother, who had left the country, with attempted murder and that it had launched legal proceedings to arrest her. The mother, identified as of "Asian nationality", faces a maximum penalty of 15 years if convicted, the statement said.

It also said a male defendant had been identified as the father of the child after a DNA test, without saying how they were able to initially locate him.

The mother of the abandoned child had messaged the father telling him she had just given birth and that she was abandoning the child and leaving the country, the prosecutor said.

It was not clear what charges the father faced.

Full: https://www.smh.com.au/world/middle-eas ... 0it%20said.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

I would hazard a guess that Asian means Qatari and she had the baby out of wedlock - no other plausible explanation but the Qatari authorities will be loathe to post that as it's receiving so much press attention.

With regards to searching women who may have given birth, I doubt it was done particularly invasively as Islamic countries tend to be extremely sensitive around such issues so only in the presence of other women and it wouldn't take much examining - they need to get over themselves. If they had caught the culprit, wouldn't that have been worth it?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cambo Dear wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:24 pm I would hazard a guess that Asian means Qatari...
I'm not so sure about that, Middle Eastern folk don't refer to themselves as "Asians". Much more likely a migrant worker from the Philippines, Bangladesh, Malaysia etc.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Cambo Dear wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:24 pm I would hazard a guess that Asian means Qatari and she had the baby out of wedlock - no other plausible explanation but the Qatari authorities will be loathe to post that as it's receiving so much press attention.

With regards to searching women who may have given birth, I doubt it was done particularly invasively as Islamic countries tend to be extremely sensitive around such issues so only in the presence of other women and it wouldn't take much examining - they need to get over themselves. If they had caught the culprit, wouldn't that have been worth it?
^I don't agree with you on this. I don't think that they were "extremely sensitive " at all, quite the opposite.
You did read the OP didn't you ? The women were not informed of what was happening, they were led off the plane, strip searched, and their genitals were forcibly examined by a doctor.
Babeck said he then spoke to some of the female passengers, who said they had been taken off the plane and led into a non-public area of the airport and subject to a medical examination.

“They were taken by security personnel into the cellar, not knowing what was going on,” he said. “And then they were presented to a female doctor and they were basically strip searched and had to take everything downwards off, all their clothes, even their underwear.

“And then the doctor would try to feel in the uterus and stomach area or lower abdomen to see whether they may have given birth recently.
And you know what would have happened if they had found the "culprit" ? (Probably a migrant worker as JB says). They would have put her and the baby in jail to punish her for having sex out of wedlock according to "zina" laws.
https://www.dw.com/en/qatari-laws-targe ... a-39384445
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I think the more interesting story is that it’s probably a routine Qatari police response. Only the fact it happened at the airport, under international scrutiny is different.

Maybe the police will change. Or not.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Lucky she doesn't smoke pot in many places in the West.

Not down playing the topic. At all.
Just highlighting how similar stuff happens to those that Rupert Murdoch et al don't like or the politicians choose to scapegoat,
and who are poor, or mentally ill, or the wrong colour.
Every day.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Really strange story, thanks for posting.
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

Even the fat ones? What a miserable job. I doubt the media would be having such a hissy-fit if they were men.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Robins wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:42 am Even the fat ones? What a miserable job. I doubt the media would be having such a hissy-fit if they were men.
Yeah, but real Aussie men don't have babies, they have have beer bellies. ;-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic