Considering a move to Sihanoukville

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
LillianEmerald
Tourist

Considering a move to Sihanoukville

Post by LillianEmerald »

Hi Everyone!

My partner and I have been seriously considering making the move from Northeast China to Cambodia for some time now and after extensive research we have simply fallen in love with the images and stories we have read of life in Sihanoukville!

It has been so hard to find information that is not older than 12 months, regarding business visas, work availability for ESL teachers etc I thought I would stop by and see if some expat locals could share their perspectives, thoughts and stories about what living in such a beautiful part of the world has been like.

Neither of us have degrees, but we are looking at moving to a place where we can pick up some teaching jobs (we have 4 years of experience teaching ESL in China) and possibly looking at one day opening a backpackers or restaurant/bar ... not exactly sure yet as we have yet to visit and see what is already there. We both have backgrounds in hospitality and events and are drawn to the seemingly relaxed lifestyle with the sun and sand that appears to be on offer in Sihanoukville, however we know that operating ones own business, and teaching are jobs not for the faint of heart and require a lot of blood sweat and tears!

So I guess my questions are:

1. Visa process! How, where, when???
I've read we need an invitation letter from an employer to accompany the visa application and that our employers should organise work permits for us, but I have also read that you can pick a business visas up on arrival and that work permits are rarely sourced by employers ... it's all so confusing!

2. Does anyone know what the rules and regulations are for opening businesses?
I've read you can't own land/buildings but can hold long term leases, yet I have also read that you can own buildings as long as it doesn't include the ground floor (strange regulation!) ... so again I'm confused.

3. How difficult is it to find an apartment/home to rent?

4. Oh and Western style toilets in the rented apartment or home?
I'm assuming so, but I've lived in some interesting places and when you've had a few drinks the night before and you need to pee, squatting for us ladies female can be a little difficult when half awake and very much still inebriated! Wobbly to say the least!! I don't this often but we have our moments of glory don't we ?? :P

I am asking before we take the plunge as we have some furry friends that would be coming with us!

Any thoughts, input or experience would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks a million and hope to see you all soon!

Cheers Lillie

P.S. Sorry for the long winded posting!!! :roll: :D :D
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Re: Considering a move to Sihanoukville

Post by MekongMouse »

1. The visa is on arrival and the work permit should be issued by your employer. They have been lax about this before but are becoming stricter now. If your employer tries to avoid giving you a work permit, insist, because there's really no excuse for that anymore.
2. I don't know that much more than you, but I think businesses can be 100% foreign owned, but owning the land is more difficult. Considering the sheer number of businesses that open, only to close a year later, I'm guessing that starting a business here is a lot easier than maintaining one. Most business owners I've spoken with just have leases.
3. Very easy. Just find a tuk tuk driver to take you around and look at places for rent. It is a buyer's market.
4. Yes, western style toilets are widely available.
LillianEmerald
Tourist

Post by LillianEmerald »

Hi Mekong,

Thanks so much for your reply and for the information!

So the visa, would you recommend entering on a tourist visa, finding a job then having the employer transfer the visa over? Or how does that work.

In China the rules for visas keep changing and half the time the business/schools have no idea whats going on so I am trying to arm myself with as much information before we book any tickets ... I am stupidly organised at times!

L
Secret Squirrel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Secret Squirrel »

Firstly I am not sure what images you have been looking at but Sihanoukville is not the Utopia you perhaps perceive.
I would strongly suggest you visit for a short time before making any hasty decisions.
To answer you more specific questions:
1 visa. Arrive at the airport, fill out the application and hand over dollars. You then have a 1 month visa easily extendable at travel agents. Forget about the work permit at this point in time.
2 you need to do serious on the ground research if you plan to open a business. The market there is very competitive and local businesses are at a major advantage. If you can get beyond subsistence you are doing well. You may also be very surprised at the levels of investment you would require.
You are correct about ownership. Tread very carefully if using local partners. I am sure others can share their sob stories.
3, very easy. Loads of agents and also check sihanoukville accommodation group on facebook..
4. It's not as third world as you might think it is.

Transfer of a tourist visa to ordinary visa is expensive ( note it is called an ordinary visa not a business visa)
Flynn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Flynn »

LillianEmerald wrote:Hi Everyone!

My partner and I have been seriously considering making the move from Northeast China to Cambodia for some time now and after extensive research we have simply fallen in love with the images and stories we have read of life in Sihanoukville!
You obviously haven't used this site for your "extensive research"...

Search:cambodiaexpatsonline.com: Sihanoukville

Image search:cambodiaexpatsonline.com: Sihanoukville
LillianEmerald
Tourist

Post by LillianEmerald »

What's with the quotes Flynn?? I only managed to find it today. Chinese internet and no VPN makes research difficult.

So shall rephrase ... I have done 'extensive research' with no VPN whilst living in country where a general search on anything yields very few results and daily results tend to vary ...

Geez, is everyone so friendly over there?

I appreciate the links though :)
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

LillianEmerald wrote:What's with the quotes Flynn?? I only managed to find it today. Chinese internet and no VPN makes research difficult.

So shall rephrase ... I have done 'extensive research' with no VPN whilst living in country where a general search on anything yields very few results and daily results tend to vary ...

Geez, is everyone so friendly over there?

I appreciate the links though :)
We at CEO are world reknown as '' the friendly forum of Cambodia... Now if you had asked for information on another forum, known by some people as the '' f#*& off forum '', you would probably change your mind about moving to Cambodia.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

LillianEmerald wrote:Hi Mekong,

Thanks so much for your reply and for the information!

So the visa, would you recommend entering on a tourist visa, finding a job then having the employer transfer the visa over? Or how does that work.

L
Don't enter on a tourist visa as they are only extendable for one month, after which you have to leave the country. Get an ordinary visa, which at the time of writing is indefinitely extendable and costs around $5 more (or used to). After a month you can extend it and get a 3,6 or 12 month multiple entry visa.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Definitely check out Sihanoukville before making any major plans. You may hate it - it depends on your priorities.
Some people would say it's sleazy... check it out first.

Get a $35 visa on arrival and go from there.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

for me it was not a good choice to live, even thou i love the water, for others....
check out this group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/941117079246668/

There are a few schools there to teach but the pay is less than PP

DO NOT start a business till you have been there at LEAST 6 months
Very high turnover an short high season for tourists
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic