18Yo Waitress Arrested for Drug Trafficking in Kandal

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: 18Yo Waitress Arrested for Drug Trafficking in Kandal

Post by siliconlife »

jaynewcastle wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:47 pm
siliconlife wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:17 am Still incredible to me that people think the problem is drugs and not the systems we have created to deal with them. Perverse, inverted view of society, imo. But hey, maybe I just think that everyone deserves some compassion. After all, if you'd been born into a different family, this could just as easily have been you. I'm not saying the girl doesn't deserve punishment, I'm just saying some of the stuff people say on this forum is fucking cold af.
Just watched a documentary this week about Whitneys Houston spiralling drug adduction that ended up costing her her life.

Good to know that it wasn't the drugs but the system actually to blame
Watched quite a few people die, or worse from alcohol. System-related, you think?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

siliconlife wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:02 pm
siliconlife wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:17 am Still incredible to me that people think the problem is drugs and not the systems we have created to deal with them. Perverse, inverted view of society, imo. But hey, maybe I just think that everyone deserves some compassion. After all, if you'd been born into a different family, this could just as easily have been you. I'm not saying the girl doesn't deserve punishment, I'm just saying some of the stuff people say on this forum is fucking cold af.
Just watched a documentary this week about Whitneys Houston spiralling drug adduction that ended up costing her her life.

Watched quite a few people die, or worse from alcohol. System-related, you think?
Not a particle of doubt in my mind. Definitely system-related.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

siliconlife wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:02 pm

How long did it take? Decades? Meth seems to work a lot faster than that, and fucks up people of all classes.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:10 pm
How long did it take? Decades? Meth seems to work a lot faster than that, and fucks up people of all classes.
The fastest death I have seen that was alcohol-related took about I dunno, a couple of minutes, I guess. Drunken barfight, watched as medics tried to help the guy while he choked on his own broken neck. I've seen domestic abuse cases linked to alcohol rise over a couple of years. etc. And then you have the creeping effects that take hold of the older generations to boot.

Really just commenting on the unsympathetic, holier-than-thou, and in my view hypocritical opinions of some of the comments we see around here. Everyone makes mistakes, I hardly think an 18 year-old girl needs to be condemned by people she's never even met when the police have already got her, and will deal with her accordingly.

If you look at the vast majority of people who are deep in the narcotics industry, they come from backgrounds of poverty and abuse.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:52 pm
Soriya wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:23 pm Got drugs on you, get caught. I couldnt care less, at the very least, complicit at some level.
Live by the sword, die by it.
Yeah, but she's 18 and possibly not very bright. IMO someone set her up to sell the drugs and she's probably addicted herself.
You just assumed a whole string of baseless excuses for the alleged criminal and turned her into a victim, is it such an impossibility to you that she could actually be a complicit drug dealer who should be held accountable for breaking the law?
Can we assume that if someone you care about was the victim of a crime, violently assaulted for example, by a perpetrator who was only 18, possibly not very bright, perhaps an addict or had maybe been told by someone else to do it, you would be just as compassionate and forgiving?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Chad Sexington wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:22 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:52 pm
Soriya wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:23 pm Got drugs on you, get caught. I couldnt care less, at the very least, complicit at some level.
Live by the sword, die by it.
Yeah, but she's 18 and possibly not very bright. IMO someone set her up to sell the drugs and she's probably addicted herself.
You just assumed a whole string of baseless excuses for the alleged criminal and turned her into a victim, is it such an impossibility to you that she could actually be a complicit drug dealer who should be held accountable for breaking the law?
Can we assume that if someone you care about was the victim of a crime, violently assaulted for example, by a perpetrator who was only 18, possibly not very bright, perhaps an addict or had maybe been told by someone else to do it, you would be just as compassionate and forgiving?
Well, she will be held accountable for selling drugs and dealt with by the law. I have no problem with her being arrested if she was selling drugs, but that doesn't stop me from feeling sorry that 18 year old kids are taking and selling meth.
She will be "dealt with" legally, but in the big scheme of things, her arrest is not going to change anything. Maybe she will get sent to rehab, but I don't think there are enough facilities for all the addicts out there. :shrug:
Cambodia seems to be awash with meth and it makes me sad and angry that it is everywhere.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic