U.S. Lawyer Who Fell Ill in Cambodia: Chabad Rabbi Saved My Life

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

U.S. Lawyer Who Fell Ill in Cambodia: Chabad Rabbi Saved My Life

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

By Aharon Loschak
22nd October 2020

The next morning, when hotel staff came by for room service, they were met with the horrific sight of a gentleman lying in a pool of blood on the floor.

When David Ginzberg fled from China to Cambodia back in February earlier this year to escape the quickly spreading coronavirus pandemic, he had no idea that matters would develop into the stuff of horror movies.

Ginzberg found his spot: Cambodia. As one of the few countries left with a border still open, relatively affordable flights to boot and familiarity from past business trips, Ginzberg soon found himself on a flight to Phnom Penh.

Touching down on Cambodian soil and making his way to a familiar hotel in the center of town, Ginzberg followed his usual protocol in Asian countries and got in touch with Rabbi Bentzion Butman, co-director with his wife, Mashie, of the Chabad Jewish Center in Phnom Penh.

The next morning, when hotel staff came by for room service, they were met with the horrific sight of a gentleman lying in a pool of blood on the floor. Familiar with Ginzberg from previous trips—and friends with him and his son on Facebook—the hotel manager communicated with Ginzberg’s son in the United States, acting quickly and calling for an ambulance to take him to the hospital.

The situation was so severe that at first, the ambulance didn’t even want to take him to the hospital. It was only after much cajoling from the people at the scene that Ginzberg was finally rushed to the local public hospital in Phnom Penh.

“I woke up in the ICU tied to a bed with tubes coming into me,” he recalls. Rapidly losing blood and with little resources in a country on the other side of the world, the situation seemed dire.

In a series of meetings, the hospital staff made it clear to Butman and Ginzberg’s son, Etan, who had arrived from the States, that he would need a medical airlift to Thailand for treatment. The cost of the airlift? $16,000. The cost of the hospital in Thailand? $50,000. All payable in advance.

Recalling the traumatic experience, he told Chabad.org, “People say when you die, your life flashes before your eyes. I had no such experience. Only excruciating pain and terror. And that’s where Rabbi Benzi really stepped in and saved my life.”

full.https://www.chabad.org/news/article_cdo ... y-Life.htm
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Re: U.S. Lawyer Who Fell Ill in Cambodia: Chabad Rabbi Saved My Life

Post by Josh_76 »

Why omit what kind of accident/health issue suddenly befell him? Leaves you wondering all through to the end.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: U.S. Lawyer Who Fell Ill in Cambodia: Chabad Rabbi Saved My Life

Post by Doc67 »

I have heard of 'Chicken Soup - Jewish Penicillin' but I just assumed it was a stereotype! Clearly not...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic