American fast food burger joint arrives

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: American fast food burger joint arrives

Post by atst »

cautious colin wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:43 pm
Brody wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:17 pm I ordered one of the basic set meals, the double patty burger with medium fries and medium drink. Came to $11.
That's not cheap for a fast food burger.

Just go to the vine or burgershack. Better burgers for nearly half the price
Or amazing happy pizza next to Vines only quarter the price, nearly every second person orders a burger. I'm getting a reputation here I think.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

atst wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:41 pm
Brody wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:17 pm I ordered one of the basic set meals, the double patty burger with medium fries and medium drink. Came to $11.

Or amazing happy pizza next to Vines only quarter the price, nearly every second person orders a burger. I'm getting a reputation here I think.
"getting"?...
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

Trying to remember the name of that fast food place which was located near Monivong and Lucky supermarket back in the 1990s. The only American-style fast food place I can remember in the entire city from back then. It had upside down McDonald's Golden Arches (looked more like a big W). Anybody remember??
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

wolfcreek wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:26 pm Trying to remember the name of that fast food place which was located near Monivong and Lucky supermarket back in the 1990s. The only American-style fast food place I can remember in the entire city from back then. It had upside down McDonald's Golden Arches (looked more like a big W). Anybody remember??
BBWorld. On the corner where Tower 42 is now. Loved their burgers.

They were taken over by or merged with or something by Lotteria (Japanese chain, I think).
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Across the road from BBWorld was CDWorld run by the same people. Take your CDs in and let them take a copy, and you could get some free CDs in exchange.

Ahh, those were the days. The good old days!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There was Ettamogah on Sihanouk that did great burgers, it was where Lucky Supermarket was later built. It was $5 for a burger though which seemed extravagant in 1999. It also had internet and a Western Union office - maybe the first one here. Mondo Burger came a bit later, nothing special. There were some other ones like the McDonalds rip-off and then the original burger place (1993?) at Psah Thmei (Like actually part of the Central Market!), way before my time but I'll see if I can dig out the photos.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I can't find the photo of the one at Psah Thmei but found these:
8-)
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

atst wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:41 pm

:D comparing the vines burgers to the happy pizza place next door.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I've had a couple of really good burgers from Vine. I can't imagine Amazing Happy Pizza being any different than 100s of places in town which do very average to crap burgers. I know the place too, I'm not knocking it. These places never seem to get it right, and unless you are starving they aren't that good. I like El Taco's burgers and Burgershack but I've never actually been in their places, I have gotten very lazy and survive on deliveries these days.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

From Meredith Biberstein. 8-)

This is a great article. Chiang Mai on Sothearous was around for a long time, used to go there a lot.

A ustralian champagne flowed during Melbourne Cup Day on Nov 1 at the Ettamogah Pub. Betting started early for the horserace as more than 100 ex-pats overflowed on to Sihanouk Boulevard during the morning, sporting festive hats and blowing trumpets. Shoppers from Lucky Market next door joined the fray.

The Ettamogah has been celebrating sports events via its large television set since it opened its doors on Aug 1. Australian partners Manny Kargas, 50, who formerly worked with Care, and Alan Drew, an importer-exporter, describe it as a bar to relax in and drink the coldest beer in town. "This is a bar with a bit of food, where you come to meet your mates," declared Manny.

It doesn't matter if your mates are not Australian. "We get lots of English and Irish," confirmed Manny, "and Khmers who have lived abroad and come back. The Kiwi blokes are always great value too."

The television takes pride of place over the bar, and a few chairs and tables spill out on to the street where Manny serves chicken, fish and steak. Food comes unpretentiously in baskets rather than on plates. "We're a basic Aussie fish and chip shop," he explained, although the chips, thinly cut and fried to light, crispy perfection, are gaining a reputation as the best in Phnom Penh.

"We import Australian meat but use local fish," he said. Dishes average $2.50, and beers include Angkor, VB, Fosters and Tiger.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/denise-heywood
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic