American fast food burger joint arrives

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Re: American fast food burger joint arrives

Post by Multipox »

your avatar photo is appropriate.
you may want to consider joining the Japanese cult of people who take photos of their meals.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Multipox wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:08 pm your avatar photo is appropriate.
you may want to consider joining the Japanese cult of people who take photos of their meals.
Are you having a bad day ? Your latest comments are all snarky/grumpy. :hammerhead:

We are talking about food here. If you do not want to talk about food, if you do not want to read about food, then why comment on a thread about food ?
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

I cooked pork bone soup for the family this morning, pickled 4 tubs of banana peppers in the afternoon and made fried rice with shrimp for supper.
The only time I eat out for hamburgers is when I go to Thailand for the Mcdonald cheeseburgers.
Was never a Burger King or Wendys fan but did like Hardy'sonce upon a time.
Never been to Mike's Burgers and have heard mixed reviews.
Haven't touched a pizza in 10 or 15 years.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Texas/Church’s chicken opening on 302 (one road up from fast food corner) soon.

I liked it in US but have never been to one outside of there. Got to be better than KFC
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I've sometimes wonder if it's the steroids or additives in the food and livestock that's making us bigger, I do notice the kids in Australia are very much taller also, or am I shrinking in my old age
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:39 am I've sometimes wonder if it's the steroids or additives in the food and livestock that's making us bigger, I do notice the kids in Australia are very much taller also, or am I shrinking in my old age
You are most likely to be shrinking, Men lose a little more than 1 inch by age 70, women lose an average of 2 inches between the ages of 30 and 70.
Talking of food made me peckish, and I don't always eat at morning time, egg butty was good.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

What a load of marketing BS.

The Habit Burger Grill is California’s best-kept secret

i.e. nobody's ever heard of them.

“The Habit has been serving the best tasting burger in America exactly this way since 1969,” it said.
And still nobody has ever heard of them.

“At the centre of The Habit’s menu is the signature Charburger, made with a fresh 100 per cent ground beef patty, chargrilled over an open flame for unique smoky flavour, and topped with cheese, caramelised onions, pickles, fresh tomato slices, crisp lettuce and mayo served on a toasted bun.
So, a Burger King Whopper with cheese. They could of taken over the defunct one on Riverside rather than a petrol station.

Cambodia will be The Habit’s third country in its expansion campaign after the US and its eight locations in China.
That's some international development plan.

Basically, some Khmer has bought a franchise because he has fallen hook, line and sinker for some Prime Grade USBA certified 100% fresh... bullshit.

A well made burger, made from good quality beef properly ground and seasoned, fresh flavourful salad, a fresh bun lightly toasted, and cheese and sauces to your taste, is one of the most satisfying combinations.
If you want one, make it yourself - it is very easy and it will always be better than anything commercially produced.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

150 grms of Australian beef, ( seasoned; salt, pepper, garlic salt)
24 month old cheddar
Lettuce, Tomato, Mayo, Sweet pickle relish, BBQ sauce
Bacon, if i am feeling really hungry

MMMMMMMM

Choices,, same reason you send ur kids to a good school, gives them more choices down the line
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:53 pm Re: Alcohol, I think the kids need to be introduced to it in the home at a young age. This whole stigma attached to it in the USA creates monsters when they reach 21, making up for all of the lost time by binge drinking. Much more responsible for a parent to introduce it as normal consumption, have a couple beers or glasses of wine and know when to quit.
I agree, and why stop at alcohol?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Anyway......

I dropped by this place today.

I'm a born and bred SoCal guy but I have never heard of The Habit.

I guess they're more central to northern California. Santa Barbara area.

I ordered one of the basic set meals, the double patty burger with medium fries and medium drink. Came to $11.

It was a decent burger and the fries were good. Nothing to write home about and I wouldn't go out of my way to get one again. Too bad for Mike's Burgers, this place opened just up the street from him, lol.

They are obviously staffed with some Americans to help with the opening of the flagship restaurant in Cambodia. We'll see how they do once this crew flies back home.

Whilst eating my meal there was some meeting going on with the American staff. Jesus, one of the women had the prototypical grating California girl accent.......which I had forgotten how much I hate. And what a loud mouth too. I almost suggested that she relocate to an anteroom so that I could enjoy my food in peace. FFS, all the "like's", "Ya knows", and talk of clubbing was grinding my eardrums into submission.

Then she started disdainfully "training" one of the sweet Khmer staff. This really pissed me off. She was talking to this girl like she was a two year old. You know, with every ending syllable going up in intonation. She was telling this poor girl, "You see this here? This is a table leg. You see how it's not clean? We need to clean that." Yadda Yadda.

But one positive was that it stopped the two Khmer staff from standing 5 feet from me and starring at me whilst I noshed. I was only one of two customers eating at the time, lol.

Competent staff, food was good. Will I be back? Probably not. It just didn't stand out enough to make the trek worth it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic