American fast food burger joint arrives

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: American fast food burger joint arrives

Post by xandreu »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:29 pm
xandreu wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:34 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:14 pm Not as good as In & Out but.....will put mikes burger to shame

Now all ya need is taco bell and Arbys

California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh.
The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame, signature sandwiches, fresh-cut salads and more”, it said in a press release as it gears up for its Wednesday debut at a Tela petrol station in Tuol Kork district.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/lifestyle ... ZFryRWBeTs
Why is this good news ? So that Cambodians can have the same health problems (obesity, diabetes etc) as the US/western countries ?
Sorry, but I just don't see the point. I like hamburgers too , but how hard is it to make a hamburger at home ?
I admit that I'm a joy-killer, (sorry for that), but fast food is killing people. It's making Asians fat and sick.
What positive aspects does access to US fast food bring to Cambodia ?
I tend to agree. Even in my short time here I have noticed that waistlines are slowly creeping up, mostly, and sadly, in children. The number of overweight Khmer kids I see nowadays is heartbreaking.

However, I also believe that people should be free to make their own choices. Who are we to tell people what they can and cannot eat? There has to be an element of personal responsibility - in the case of the kids that should come from the parents. Fast food is perfectly fine as an occasional treat and most people treat it as such. Why should they be denied their occasional western delicacy just because some people can't control themselves?

Do we ban alcohol just because alcoholics exist?
Nope, but we ban it (alcohol) for kids, because it's not good for them, and they are supposed to be too young to decide for themselves.
In the UK and many European countries, alcohol is not banned for kids. I'm going to sound very pedantic now, but only the purchasing and consummation of it in public is. Kids can legally drink alcohol in their own home. In the UK the age for drinking in your own home is 5 years old. I'm not sure about other European countries but it's similar.

It's so young because parents are expected and trusted to take personal responsibility for their own kids. It's not the states business to encroach in people's private homes, even for something like kids drinking alcohol.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Never really ate much fast food as a 'murican youth, just never liked it. I can eat a Wendy Spicy chicken but that is maybe 5 times a year. When living in NYC I had frequent salads, not that they saved a ton of calories but they at least had fresher ingredients. There seemed to be many more salad type places than fast food where I lived.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Re: Alcohol, I think the kids need to be introduced to it in the home at a young age. This whole stigma attached to it in the USA creates monsters when they reach 21, making up for all of the lost time by binge drinking. Much more responsible for a parent to introduce it as normal consumption, have a couple beers or glasses of wine and know when to quit.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:14 pm The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame, signature sandwiches, fresh-cut salads and more”, it said in a press release as it gears up for its Wednesday debut at a Tela petrol station in Tuol Kork district.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

atst wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:29 pm You only need to look at how much fatter the Thais are from five years ago.
Fast food franchises and malls ,all big cities are becoming the same sadly.
There have been fast food places in Thailand since forever, McDonalds opened their first place there in 1985. I don't think fast-food is any great help but obesity can't all be blamed on them. The fat relations I have here barely ever eat foreign food, they just stuff their faces with local foods and snacks and lead sedentary lifestyles. The prevalence of Diabetes here would lead me to think the local diet isn't too healthy either. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

xandreu wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:37 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:29 pm
xandreu wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:34 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:14 pm Not as good as In & Out but.....will put mikes burger to shame

The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame, signature sandwiches, fresh-cut salads and more”, it said in a press release as it gears up for its Wednesday debut at a Tela petrol station in Tuol Kork district.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/lifestyle ... ZFryRWBeTs
Why is this good news ? So that Cambodians can have the same health problems (obesity, diabetes etc) as the US/western countries ?
Sorry, but I just don't see the point. I like hamburgers too , but how hard is it to make a hamburger at home ?
I admit that I'm a joy-killer, (sorry for that), but fast food is killing people. It's making Asians fat and sick.
What positive aspects does access to US fast food bring to Cambodia ?
I tend to agree. Even in my short time here I have noticed that waistlines are slowly creeping up, mostly, and sadly, in children. The number of overweight Khmer kids I see nowadays is heartbreaking.

However, I also believe that people should be free to make their own choices. Who are we to tell people what they can and cannot eat? There has to be an element of personal responsibility - in the case of the kids that should come from the parents. Fast food is perfectly fine as an occasional treat and most people treat it as such. Why should they be denied their occasional western delicacy just because some people can't control themselves?

Do we ban alcohol just because alcoholics exist?
Nope, but we ban it (alcohol) for kids, because it's not good for them, and they are supposed to be too young to decide for themselves.
In the UK and many European countries, alcohol is not banned for kids. I'm going to sound very pedantic now, but only the purchasing and consummation of it in public is. Kids can legally drink alcohol in their own home. In the UK the age for drinking in your own home is 5 years old. I'm not sure about other European countries but it's similar.

It's so young because parents are expected and trusted to take personal responsibility for their own kids. It's not the states business to encroach in people's private homes, even for something like kids drinking alcohol.
@xandreu Yep, exactly what i was trying to say. Parents are ultimately responsible for what their kids eat and drink. But they need information to do that.

I'm just blown away with how fat the kids are getting these days, and I don't think that promoting more fast food outlets in third world countries is a great idea. I've already seen what milkshakes and pizzas can do to my ex-skinny Khmer friends and family who have now become lumpy and have weight problems. (Due to working in western-style restaurants mostly.)
Yes, of course, self-control and parental control are excellent ideas, but more education in nutrition would also be a better idea. To make an informed choice (what to eat or not or how much), you need to be informed. My Khmer friend was putting on weight, so he switched from drinking two cokes a day to two banana milkshakes, but didn't realise that bananas and milk have calories too.
As I said before, I'm not against fast food as such, but you need to have the information to make good choices, for yourself and for your kids. :2girlsit8: And please don't feed your toddler energy drinks. :facepalm:
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:45 pm And please don't feed your toddler energy drinks. :facepalm:
This is fucking horrifying and I see it far too often.

Just the other day in fact I was biking around the neighborhood and saw a grandpa walking with what looked to be a 3 year old in nappies.....swilling one of those Vigor energy drinks.

If they only had half a clue about what's in those things.........
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

I beg your pardon.

Burger King has been on the riverside for years, and their burgers are pretty good.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:49 pm Never really ate much fast food as a 'murican youth, just never liked it. I can eat a Wendy Spicy chicken but that is maybe 5 times a year. When living in NYC I had frequent salads, not that they saved a ton of calories but they at least had fresher ingredients. There seemed to be many more salad type places than fast food where I lived.
I hope I am not the first to express my gratitude to you for providing this summary of your eating habits.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Multipox wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:53 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:49 pm Never really ate much fast food as a 'murican youth, just never liked it. I can eat a Wendy Spicy chicken but that is maybe 5 times a year. When living in NYC I had frequent salads, not that they saved a ton of calories but they at least had fresher ingredients. There seemed to be many more salad type places than fast food where I lived.
I hope I am not the first to express my gratitude to you for providing this summary of your eating habits.
Today I had a coffee with hazelnut creamer, honey bunches of oats with almonds cereal, and a vegetarian healthy choice Power Bowl prepared meal. I'm about 83KG and 180CM in height and I exercise 5-6 days weekly. I've taken the bicycle for about 780 km ride on average per month.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic