Lucky students

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Lucky students

Post by AndyKK »

Lucky students, these nine young hopefuls have been given something that even students of the UK would never even be placed in that of their own so called country. I don't have a problem about these young achievers being offered such scholarships. Quote - “This programme has provided exceptional Cambodian young professionals an opportunity to elevate careers, transform communities, shift and deepen perspectives and additionally showcase Cambodia’s rich culture and beautiful landscape on the international stage.”
The funding for the scholarships are by the means of the British Government. This program started in 1993, being a little later I was in my final year of studies at collage, I had already achieved my expectations by gaining certifications and first hand experience to be a qualified outdoor instructor. Being a mature student at the time I was approached by tutors of the city's university and offered a placement on a new course that was just started.
Unfortunately it wasn't to be for myself, being at the time I was unable to obtain funding by the means of a grant, the reason was I was a male single parent.

Nine Cambodian Chevening scholarship winners reach the UK

The nine Cambodians who were awarded Chevening scholarships have now arrived in the UK and are preparing to begin their studies.
The scholarships, which are funded by the British Government, saw nine postgraduate students from around Cambodia awarded fully-funded placements in the UK, to study a masters degree in a field of their choice.

The Chevening programme is part of a global initiative to offer future leaders the unique opportunity to study anywhere in the UK and is open to applicants across the globe.

Applications for next year’s Chevening scholarships programme are still open but will close soon on November 3.

Cambodian student Mar Rochnak Hanffa, this year’s scholarship winner now enrolled at the University of Warwick, said: “The UK is world-known for its excellent quality of education, teaching, and methodological approach. The UK houses world-class institutions which offer courses in many subject areas. As a student looking to improve my education, this is a huge step forward for me.”

“This scholarship scheme will also build a positive relationship between Cambodia and the UK. As one of the Kingdom’s major trading partners, the UK has been increasingly active in Cambodia’s political, economic, and human capital development throughout the years. Nevertheless, I still believe there is more room for growth,” he said.

Britain’s Ambassador to Cambodia, Tina Redshaw, said: “Chevening offers a unique opportunity for future leaders, influencers and decision-makers from all over the world to develop professionally and academically, network extensively, experience UK culture and build a lasting positive relationship with the UK.”

“This programme has provided exceptional Cambodian young professionals an opportunity to elevate careers, transform communities, shift and deepen perspectives and additionally showcase Cambodia’s rich culture and beautiful landscape on the international stage.”

After gaining qualifications in the UK the students then come back to Cambodia and put their new skills into action within different sectors.

Since 1993, the Chevening Scholarship programme has seen 184 Cambodians enrolled to study at top UK universities, with programme graduates then becoming part of a global Chevening community of over 50,000 professional alumni.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Lucky students

Post by Ghostwriter »

I bet it took a lot of work to be in position for that kind of luck.
Good for them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic