Australian CLAUDE SEBASTIAN HENDY Found Dead in Phnom Penh Hotel

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Australian CLAUDE SEBASTIAN HENDY Found Dead in Phnom Penh Hotel

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On October 16, 2020, a 62-year-old Australian man, CLAUDE SEBASTIAN HENDY, was found dead in his room at Best Central Point Hotel, on the street 172, Sangkat Chey Chumneas, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh.
The witness named Som Oun, a 41-year-old woman housekeeper at the hotel, said the victim came to stay at the hotel alone on March 22, 2020, at 2 pm. The hotel charged him 91 USD per week. He usually came for breakfast at 10 am. On October 16, 2020, she went to clean the victim's room. She knocked on the door, but no reply. So, she asked two men, Kheang Sohean, 29 years old, and Choun Dyna, 29 years old, for help. They knocked on the door again, and still no reply. They unlocked the door and found the Australian man lying on the bed. They took the victim to the hospital, but the doctor told them that he had already passed away.

After getting the information, the local police reported to the prosecutor. They collaborated with the Scientific-Technical police, the criminal police, the investigation and procedure department (Immigration Dept), and the autopsist to conduct a post mortem examination at the scene.

After the examination, the police team concluded that the victim died of lung disease. The body was taken to keep at Khmer Soviet hospital.
RIP and condolences to family and friends of the deceased.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Australian CLAUDE SEBASTIAN HENDY Found Dead in Phnom Penh Hotel

Post by lagrange »

Another sad, lonely expat death. I think since I have been on this forum I can only think of one instance of an expat dying surrounded by family and friends. I suppose once you're dead, you're dead and no worries. But to die alone like this always seems to be the worst. When it's my turn I hope I am sitting in a bar surrounded by drunks enjoying themselves, and no-notices I've drained my last glass until they come to kick me out at closing time. Either that or in the arms of a beautiful young girl around 2 in the morning. Ha. The bar scene is probably more likely.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

lagrange wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:33 pm When it's my turn I hope I am sitting in a bar surrounded by drunks enjoying themselves, and no-notices I've drained my last glass until they come to kick me out at closing time. Either that or in the arms of a beautiful young girl around 2 in the morning. Ha. The bar scene is probably more likely.
I guess both are possible at the same place, same time, especially in PP. Your wish might get true ! Not too soon though, right ?

RIP to the lonely chap.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

lagrange wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:33 pm Another sad, lonely expat death. I think since I have been on this forum I can only think of one instance of an expat dying surrounded by family and friends.
There are lots of different types of foreigners living here. Most people I know here live with their family or partner. I don't know anyone who lives in a guesthouse. I'd hazard a guess that those who live in a fairly stable situation with a family are likely to take more care of themselves too and are not at as much risk of dying early. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
nadiner.20
Tourist

Post by nadiner.20 »

Really media these days publish people's passports ??? and details of their death with photos? I'm disgusted. I am his daughter - please remove this and let us have the privacy to grieve!!
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Just because he died alone doesn't make him sad and lonely he was most likely quite the opposite
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

nadiner.20 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:13 am Really media these days publish people's passports ??? and details of their death with photos? I'm disgusted. I am his daughter - please remove this and let us have the privacy to grieve!!
once again ceo takes the wrong stand; is this really "newsworthy"?

I have said and will say, deaths should NOT be placed in the regular forum where the Search engines will index it and family will find .
put in a closed section..

dont try and justify it, please

RIP
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:03 am
nadiner.20 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:13 am Really media these days publish people's passports ??? and details of their death with photos? I'm disgusted. I am his daughter - please remove this and let us have the privacy to grieve!!

I have said and will say, deaths should NOT be placed in the regular forum where the Search engines will index it and family will find .

RIP
Perhaps an obituary thread on the darknet, it's still newsworthy as someone you don't see all the time may have passed on.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:03 am

RIP
CEO News doesn't write the news. They just translate it from the Khmer news sources.
You're just trying to take the high moral ground to impress the family.

I believe the reason expat deaths are reported is because many of us who live here may know the deceased, and may not know about his untimely demise.

RIP and condolences to his family.
covidsux
Expatriate
Bahamas

Post by covidsux »

My understanding is that personal pages of the passport are published precisely so that the family will be notified.

In more developed countries the respective embassy would be notified by the police, and they would contact the next of kin.

People go offline for long times here often, and family panic.

If I was the next of kin, I'd prefer to know for sure than be in suspense.

As long as people don't make off-color jokes, what's the problem?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic