FBI Opens Office in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

FBI Opens Office in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

FBI to open office with Cambodia police amid frosty ties
37 minutes ago
The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) will set up an office at Cambodia’s national police headquarters to help track down American criminals, at a time when Washington is seeking to repair strained relations with a close ally of China.

The office will serve to support Cambodian police in efforts to arrest American fugitives and to fight terrorism, police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun said on Tuesday.

“Before, we cooperated on a case-by-case basis and now we are having an office to work with the objective to work fast,” Chhay Kim Khoeun told Reuters.

Chhay Kim Khoeun said he did not know about the timeframe for when the office would be established.

In an email statement to Reuters, the US Embassy in Phnom Penh declined to comment on the FBI office but said the two institutions had an established relationship.

“A joint FBI-Cambodian National Police task force established to fight crimes against children, money laundering, and financial crime is now operational. Our law enforcement cooperation makes both our countries safer,” it said.
- Reuters
https://www.gulftoday.ae/news/2020/10/1 ... rosty-ties
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: FBI Opens Office in Cambodia

Post by xandreu »

Isn't it a little unusual for a sovereign country to allow another countries law enforcement to set up shop there? I've never heard of it happening anywhere else.
It kind of sends the message of a two-tier legal framework where foreigners here will be policed by US law enforcement agencies and as such, expected to abide by US laws, whereas the locals will continue to be policed by their own.

Strange set-up for a country to have if you ask me. I accept there are many western criminals here, either on the run, committing crimes while here, or both, and that the local police sometimes struggle to track them down, but I'd guess that Chinese criminals are a bigger problem than western ones. Will China also come here to deal with their own?

Will there be a situation where Chinese residents answer to Chinese police, Western residents answer to American police and locals answer to Khmer police?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

xandreu wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:29 pm Isn't it a little unusual for a sovereign country to allow another countries law enforcement to set up shop there? I've never heard of it happening anywhere else.
It kind of sends the message of a two-tier legal framework where foreigners here will be policed by US law enforcement agencies and as such, expected to abide by US laws, whereas the locals will continue to be policed by their own.

Strange set-up for a country to have if you ask me. I accept there are many western criminals here, either on the run, committing crimes while here, or both, and that the local police sometimes struggle to track them down, but I'd guess that Chinese criminals are a bigger problem than western ones. Will China also come here to deal with their own?

Will there be a situation where Chinese residents answer to Chinese police, Western residents answer to American police and locals answer to Khmer police?
Erm, there's one in London too? I would imagine this is similar set up as they have there and in many other country.

Edit. yeah I think the London one is in embassy too and it's bit strange that this one is in local police office like Doc says below.
Last edited by rogerrabbit on Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I think the FBI, CIA and the DEA have staff operating out of most of the US Embassies around the world to some degree. The idea of an FBI office inside a local police authority is a bit odd but I doubt they will be keeping any secrets in there or saying anything of much interest as the place will probably be bugged by the Chinese long before the FBI arrange their furniture.

Quite what FBI special agents will make of their Cambodian counterparts would probably make for very interesting listening.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Hopefully they will help to catch more f***in peados, from US and else. That would be some progress.
Khmerican
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmerican »

The FBI has been here for years:

FBI Legal Attaché Office

The Phnom Penh Legal Attaché (Legat) Office is the 60th overseas presence for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), a division of the U.S. Department of Justice. Legat offices are staffed by FBI law enforcement professionals and support staff who work to stop foreign crime as far from American shores as possible and to help solve international crimes that do occur as quickly as possible.

As former FBI Director Robert S. Mueller, III has noted, “The globalization of crime—whether terrorism, international trafficking of drugs, contraband, and people, or cyber crime—absolutely requires us to integrate law enforcement efforts around the world. And that means having our agents working directly with their counterparts overseas on cases of mutual interest—not only to solve crimes that have been committed, but to prevent crimes and acts of terror by sharing information in real time.”

The activities of the Legat Offices are to:

Coordinate international investigations with their colleagues;

Cover international leads for domestic U.S. investigations;

Link U.S. and international resources in critical criminal and terrorist areas that better ensure the safety of the American public here and abroad.
The rules for joint activities and information sharing are generally spelled out in formal agreements between the United States and the Legat’s host country; and

Coordinate FBI training classes for police in their geographic areas—everything from counterterrorism and cybercrime matters to forensic techniques to human trafficking and human rights.

The FBI’s Legal Attaché program is overseen by the Office of International Operations, headed by a Special Agent in Charge, at FBI Headquarters in Washington, DC. This Office keeps in close contact with other federal agencies, Interpol, foreign police and security officers in Washington, and national and international law enforcement associations.

https://kh.usembassy.gov/embassy/phnom- ... fices/fbi/
Last edited by Khmerican on Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

There are Joint Task Force (JTF) offices all over the world. The JTF is a tool to help build professional capacity in a country where it is situated, while at the same time dealing with transnational crimes involving Americans, as well as others. Cambodia needs training in all the areas outlined in the article.

I expect a sharp dip in American shitbirds hiding out and/or committing crimes in the Kingdom. GOOD.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Woody
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Woody »

Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:10 pm Hopefully they will help to catch more f***in peados, from US and else. That would be some progress.
The crook NGO's are already doing that
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

It is possible that there is an element of training local officers involved in the reason to have their office physically inside the National Police HQ
Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Post by Sir Stephen »

The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) will set up an office at Cambodia’s national police headquarters to help track down American criminals
Are there really that many American criminals here or are they expecting many to come later? :shock:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic