The worst bus you ever ride?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Re: The worst bus you ever ride?

Post by MekongMouse »

The worst bus experience for me was from PP to Siem Reap in 2012. It was Capitol and they ran out of seats, so I had to ride underneath with the motos/bikes/luggage, even though I had purchased my ticket ahead of time. I just went with it and slept on a patch of floor using my sweatshirt as a pillow.

Soi Dog's experience sounds much worse.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

MekongMouse wrote:The worst bus experience for me was from PP to Siem Reap in 2012. It was Capitol and they ran out of seats, so I had to ride underneath with the motos/bikes/luggage, even though I had purchased my ticket ahead of time. I just went with it and slept on a patch of floor using my sweatshirt as a pillow.

Right his experience is much more worse. For you case, you should complain it to the company.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I hate bus's so I try and fly, but you can even get screwed doing that. Twelve hours into a two hour flight on Air Bangladesh in 1990 I knew things were amiss.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Soi Dog wrote:
Samouth wrote:i feel sorry for you Barang_doa_slae, SD and wackyjacky. It seemed like you guys had a really hard time with Cambodia bus.
It wasn't just us, of course, it was every person who rode those buses back then who was inconvenienced. We don't expect any special treatment or more comfortable experiences just because we are foreigners, it's just written from our own perspective. So whenever you hear some long-time expats complaining about "how much better things used to be" in Cambodia....just remember many things were much worse back then too, for everybody...mostly the Cambodians. All development has it's good and bad aspects, depending on one's starting point and perspective.
I do appreciate when you say this. As a human, we should have been treated the same regardless nation, sexual orientation, gender, and race.

We don't expect any special treatment or more comfortable experiences just because we are foreigners, it's just written from our own perspective.

Some foreigners in Cambodia are complaining that they are being overcharged comparing to Cambodian. However, i don't think so. Starting from accommodation, they are living in an apartment with fully furnished and we are living in a small room with nothing. So it is fair they have to pay more than us. In addition, they went to eat at the restaurant and we ate street foods. Not to mention they said, they are being ripped off at the market, nothing different we Cambodians also are being ripped off at the market by fellow Cambodian too. Not to mention, they earn and being paid way more than us even though they work in the same position with us. :cry:
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Samouth wrote:
MekongMouse wrote:The worst bus experience for me was from PP to Siem Reap in 2012. It was Capitol and they ran out of seats, so I had to ride underneath with the motos/bikes/luggage, even though I had purchased my ticket ahead of time. I just went with it and slept on a patch of floor using my sweatshirt as a pillow.

Right his experience is much more worse. For you case, you should complain it to the company.
It was so long ago, doesn't really matter anymore.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Did you check your number seat?
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

prahkeitouj wrote:

Did you check your number seat?
Yes, they sold the same seat twice and I lost. I was new to Cambodia and didn't really know one bus company from another. Live and learn.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

MekongMouse wrote:
Yes, they sold the same seat twice and I lost. I was new to Cambodia and didn't really know one bus company from another. Live and learn.
maybe someone confused your seat or they will sale the seat to another if you was late. But normally the buses are later than us. When I came back from Sihanuk Ville, few foriengers said I sat on the her seat but I showed her my ticket and told her that her bus is next bus. Of cousre my ticket was 1:00 but the bus was late 15mns. I thought it made her confused the bus.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:
I do appreciate when you say this. As a human, we should have been treated the same regardless nation, sexual orientation, gender, and race.

We don't expect any special treatment or more comfortable experiences just because we are foreigners, it's just written from our own perspective.

Some foreigners in Cambodia are complaining that they are being overcharged comparing to Cambodian. However, i don't think so. Starting from accommodation, they are living in an apartment with fully furnished and we are living in a small room with nothing. So it is fair they have to pay more than us. In addition, they went to eat at the restaurant and we ate street foods. Not to mention they said, they are being ripped off at the market, nothing different we Cambodians also are being ripped off at the market by fellow Cambodian too. Not to mention, they earn and being paid way more than us even though they work in the same position with us. :cry:
That's true,Samouth. Foriegners don't know they are luckier than Cambodians. They get good job and paid well while too many Cambodians work as factory workers and too many Cambodians went to neighbour country to work as labor. Barang don't know that they do the same job but they have better salary and they are priority to get the job. They don't need to change money fron dollar to Riel, they can buy whatever they want with their Dollar! I remember the first day I arrived Sri Linka, I didn't change money at airport. When I arrived the hotel, My friends and I couldn't find the nearest ATM. We walked around and saw some fruit we wanted to eat. I took some but when I gave them Dollar ,they looked at me and said NO, they don't know it. My friends and I had to back to hotel with nothing! Of course I really wanted to eat that fruit so much but I couldn't buy it. It was not my country that we can pay with any currency!!!!
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

prahkeitouj wrote:
MekongMouse wrote:
maybe someone confused your seat or they will sale the seat to another if you was late. But normally the buses are later than us. When I came back from Sihanuk Ville, few foriengers said I sat on the her seat but I showed her my ticket and told her that her bus is next bus. Of cousre my ticket was 1:00 but the bus was late 15mns. I thought it made her confused the bus.
I don't remember; I was just shuffled around until I ended up there. I think they saw a clueless backpacker dude and figured they'd put him wherever and he wouldn't complain. Fair enough, they were right. I'm not one of those people who thinks I'm always being ripped off for being foreign, but in this case I'd say my lack of language skills or understanding of culture (being brand new to Cambodia) left me vulnerable to getting screwed. I don't think I was wrong; I think they sold the seat twice, otherwise they would have directed me to my proper seat, not the bottom of the bus. The point is I don't think negatively about Cambodia; I think negatively about Capitol bus company.

We have shitty bus companies in America too; the main difference is I know how to get my money back in the USA and it is way less hassle. In Washington, I was once denied entry for a bus trip from Seattle to Ellensburg, both cities in Washington, because I was carrying marijuana (which I had a medical authorization for AND was legal for people 21+ anyway). The redneck working the line accused me of being a drug dealer! I was so angry, so I wrote letters to all the local news stations, called the police (just to waste everybody's time - I knew they would be of no help), and then wrote to Greyhound and within a month, the money was deposited back onto my credit card and I was given a voucher for a free ride. I couldn't get results like that in Cambodia then or now; I might get my money back or some of it back, but the hassle would outweigh the monetary return. Also, it costs more to travel in the US; I wanted my $100 back, but a $5 to $10 ticket is cheap for me, so I'm okay just moving on and remembering not to use a certain company in the future.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic